United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Wasn't that 38 games in all competitions (Charity Shield not included)??
It was Middlesbrough in December to Chelsea in September or October but yes, we did lose that Charity shield 2-1 in between.

Think if you discount the charity shield it was 44 games in all comps?

Unread 15-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
in what sense what that even vaguely funny you daft blart

Unread 15-10-2012, 11:50 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
in what sense what that even vaguely funny you daft blart

Unread 16-10-2012, 07:45 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogieop
remember it like it was yesterday!

"remember the name, waaayne rooney"
big Everton fan back then was you?

Unread 16-10-2012, 09:46 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
during his time though United has enjoyed the most successful period in its entire history, so...
8 Years at united. 4 leagues, 0 FA cups, 1 European cup

8 Years previous to his signing. 6 Leagues, 4 FA cups, 1 European cup

Unread 16-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Spiffy

Worth pointing out that for 5 of those 8 years we've had the Glazers and we sold our best player to Real Madrid. What have we won per £1m spent on transfer fees? Is Rooney keeping us in the hunt? I suspect he is.

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver

I did include one-off matches, and I was thinking more Feb 2006 - May 2011 really - the most intense period of sustained success in the club's history:

2006 LC winners
2007 League Champions, CL s/f, FAC final
2008 League Champions, CL winners, World Club Champions
2009 League Champions, CL final, LC winners, FAC s/f
2010 LC winners, PL r/u
2011 League Champions, CL final, FAC s/f

So in just over 5 years United won 4 titles, lost the other by 1pt, arrived in 3 CL finals, winning 1, became world champions, won 3 league cups, and lost 3 other semi finals and a final. What value people place in some of those achievements is up to them, but it was an incredible run even in the context of United's own history. People who think we could and should have done more during that period are deluded - as I said, one or two one-off matches notwithsatnding.

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Spiffy

Getting beaten in a final or semi final is not winning, it's still losing.

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:16 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Thumbs up

Quote:
I did include one-off matches, and I was thinking more Feb 2006 - May 2011 really - the most intense period of sustained success in the club's history:

2006 LC winners
2007 League Champions, CL s/f, FAC final
2008 League Champions, CL winners, World Club Champions
2009 League Champions, CL final, LC winners, FAC s/f
2010 LC winners, PL r/u
2011 League Champions, CL final, FAC s/f

So in just over 5 years United won 4 titles, lost the other by 1pt, arrived in 3 CL finals, winning 1, became world champions, won 3 league cups, and lost 3 other semi finals and a final. What value people place in some of those achievements is up to them, but it was an incredible run even in the context of United's own history. People who think we could and should have done more during that period are deluded - as I said, one or two one-off matches notwithsatnding.
So you were thinking of a different time frame to the one you stated and the actual statistics don't matter. Good to know.

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Getting beaten in a final or semi final is not winning, it's still losing.
of course, but arriving at the final is still a statement of the level the team was at - for example, the 2009 team came within 3 matches of a clean sweep.

Quote:
So you were thinking of a different time frame to the one you stated and the actual statistics don't matter. Good to know.
Not at all, I said during Rooney's time. I did not say throughout his entire period at the club so far.

And the actual statistics of those 5 years are indeed the most intense period of sustained success in the club's history.

Probably 94 to 99 is the only similar spell:

1994 League Champions. FAC winners, LC final
1995 PL r/u, FAC final
1996 League Champions, FAC winners
1997 League Champions, CL s/f
1998 PL r/u
1999 League Champions, CL winners, FAC winners, WCC winners

As I said, it's up to you what value you place on near misses, and so you can say that 3 FACs is worth more than 3 LCs if you want. For me though the 3-in-a-row and 3 CL finals in 4 years gets the nod, even if the Treble is still the most successful and glorious single season by any English team in the history of the sport.

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:40 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Not at all, I said during Rooney's time. I did not say throughout his entire period at the club so far.

And the actual statistics of those 5 years are indeed the most intense period of sustained success in the club's history.

1995 PL r/u, FAC final
1998 PL r/u

As I said, it's up to you what value you place on near misses, and so you can say that 3 FACs is worth more than 3 LCs if you want. For me though the 3-in-a-row and 3 CL finals in 4 years gets the nod, even if the Treble is still the most successful and glorious single season by any English team in the history of the sport.
If you say Rooney's time was just the 06/07, 07/08, 08/09 and 10/11 seasons then we have won the premiership every season he has been at the club.

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
If you say Rooney's time was just the 06/07, 07/08, 08/09 and 10/11 seasons then we have won the premiership every season he has been at the club.
you can say what you like, pal

if you wanna be telling me what I said though I'll tell you when you're wrong

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:

Unread 16-10-2012, 02:57 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
you can say what you like, pal

if you wanna be telling me what I said though I'll tell you when you're wrong
I can indeed. How foolish of me to not know that "Rooney’s time" doesn't mean the time he's been at united but rather some arbitrary timeframe you have defined in your head and that I should psychically be aware of.

Unread 16-10-2012, 03:00 PM
rafabio

Quote:
I can indeed. How foolish of me to not know that "Rooney’s time" doesn't mean the time he's been at united but rather some arbitrary timeframe you have defined in your head and that I should psychically be aware of.

Unread 16-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
you're either a shit wum or a bit dense

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former, on account of you deliberately quoting "during Rooney's time" as the new 4 legs good version "Rooney's time".

you're still boring the £#%&! out of me though

you seem to have attracted some followers to your bullshit as well though, so fair play to you

Unread 16-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

in fact what actually happened was that I posted something which I haven't changed in the slightest since

you jumped on it without engaging your brain, such as it is, and then in your embarrassment failed to acknowledge the simple and harmless misunderstanding you had made.

this has led us to the point where I have calmly drawn out the context of my original post whilst you, in the very internet protocol you have cited to attack me, have set about some needless and hopeless point-scoring defence of your original misinterpretation.

Unread 16-10-2012, 03:30 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
in fact what actually happened was that I posted something which I haven't changed in the slightest since

you jumped on it without engaging your brain, such as it is, and then in your embarrassment failed to acknowledge the simple and harmless misunderstanding you had made.
I failed to engage my brain and so did not enterpret what you said as how you meant it when you said "Rooney's time"? Do you think it's obvious that in that phrase you meant a timeframe you later outlined rather than his entire career as a Manchester United Player? I'll be honest with you, it's pretty counter intuative to me.

Still I'm a man who learns from his errors and if I have to resort to the counter intuative in order to see the true meanings of what you post then so be it.

Quote:
this has led us to the point where I have calmly drawn out the context of my original post whilst you, in the very internet protocol you have cited to attack me, have set about some needless and hopeless point-scoring defence of your original misinterpretation.
Apology accepted.

PaulParkers

Look everyone, Throb is acting the @#%&! again! Yay!

ZiggyStardust

Quote:
of course, but arriving at the final is still a statement of the level the team was at - for example, the 2009 team came within 3 matches of a clean sweep.

1995 PL r/u, FAC final
1998 PL r/u

It's amazing to think that of the 4 league titles we have won since Rooney signed we have been in the European Cup final every one of those seasons except 06/07 when we reached the Semi Final.

That’s a great achievement given how hard it is to win a major european league and still be competing at the business end of the Champions League

When Milan reached the final of the European Cup in 2003, 2005 and 2007, they didn’t even bother trying to win Serie A so rested players for the knockout matches.
Real Madrid are the same when you look at their league positions when they won the European Cup in 1998, 2000 and 2002

Only ourselves and Barcelona have been able to compete to win league titles and European Cups in the same season over the last six or seven years
Closed Thread