United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Billy Redface

I'm far from convinced by Stones, but the fact a £#%&!ing dummy like Paul Merson gets so upset by a defender trying to control and pass his way out of trouble, just shows how ingrained certainly values are in this country.

Foaming at the mouth. Fackin' 'ead it away like JT!!

No wonder our players are far less comfortable on the ball than other nations when this is the reaction to a lad trying to show a little composure on the ball.

Unread 31-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Grimson

Average goals per game hasn't changed significantly from 1992 to today in any of Europe's top leagues*, so all this 'defending is dead' talk is missing a key piece of evidence....more goals.

* I only looked at the Premier League and Bundesliga, cba looking at the others. But wouldn't expect it to be much different.

Unread 01-02-2016, 01:11 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I'm far from convinced by Stones, but the fact a £#%&!ing dummy like Paul Merson gets so upset by a defender trying to control and pass his way out of trouble, just shows how ingrained certainly values are in this country.

Foaming at the mouth. Fackin' 'ead it away like JT!!

No wonder our players are far less comfortable on the ball than other nations when this is the reaction to a lad trying to show a little composure on the ball.
I get your point, but that was the wrong place to be doing multiple cruyff's ffs.

Unread 01-02-2016, 01:58 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Rio at 21 was far better than Stones in his defensive qualities. The lad may be talented but he's in a group who are happy to concede 3 if they score 5. Rio spoke about how he was very self-assessing, and his coaches pin-pointed his attention to detail as a youngster. I don't see this in Stones who is regressing, making the same mistakes over and over.
They did used to say it about Rio, though. Too laid back, makes too many errors because of his confidence etc. And he grew up in Redknapp's West Ham side, don't forget, where he was also allowed to make mistakes. Again, Stones at 21 is so far away from his prime. By all accounts he was coming on fantastically about two months ago. Sounds like more bi-polar English analysis to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I get your point, but that was the wrong place to be doing multiple cruyff's ffs.
True, but even that is a cultural view. In Brazil or Spain they'd have loved that. I reckon it's that clip that's got Barca interested

Unread 01-02-2016, 02:10 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
They did used to say it about Rio, though. Too laid back, makes too many errors because of his confidence etc. And he grew up in Redknapp's West Ham side, don't forget, where he was also allowed to make mistakes. Again, Stones at 21 is so far away from his prime. By all accounts he was coming on fantastically about two months ago. Sounds like more bi-polar English analysis to me.

True, but even that is a cultural view. In Brazil or Spain they'd have loved that. I reckon it's that clip that's got Barca interested
Don't you think he should put it away and focus on doing the basics right to help Everton win games? Is it right that a player is using a PL club as a classroom where he can do whatever he wants? It's not all about John Stones.

At least he'll learn some hard lessons that people are targeting him and so he needs to earn the right to be doing fancy stuff. When he's making errors every week opposition sides will be delighted to see him on the ball.

Unread 01-02-2016, 02:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Don't you think he should put it away and focus on doing the basics right to help Everton win games? Is it right that a player is using a PL club as a classroom where he can do whatever he wants? It's not all about John Stones.

At least he'll learn some hard lessons that people are targeting him and so he needs to earn the right to be doing fancy stuff. When he's making errors every week opposition sides will be delighted to see him on the ball.
Fair enough. If I'm being honest pal I've only watched the @#%&! play about three times.

Unread 01-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Buck

The best young CB in the league for me is Zouma. Same age as Stones. Physically a beast, rapis, great marker and decent on the ball with lots of scope for improvement.

Unread 01-02-2016, 02:34 AM
Cream

Exclamation

Quote:
The best young CB in the league for me is Zouma. Same age as Stones. Physically a beast, rapis, great marker and decent on the ball with lots of scope for improvement.
reported.

Unread 01-02-2016, 03:29 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Everyone has a bad game, especially kids. I remember quite liking him and thinking he had decent distribution for a teen. Better than Smalling now actually.

But who knows; maybe it's the alzheimers.
Tbph Pique didnt look that good when he was with us. So much so, most on the forums seemed to think SAF was right to back a more local lad in Evans as the Rio/Vidic cover. Looked completely vindicated in the immediate aftermath too.

Unread 01-02-2016, 03:57 AM
Grimson

Quote:

I am willing to bet he is working harder than most people have ever worked at anything to help Everton win games.

Unread 01-02-2016, 08:01 AM
irk

Quote:
Rio at 21 was far better than Stones in his defensive qualities. The lad may be talented but he's in a group who are happy to concede 3 if they score 5. Rio spoke about how he was very self-assessing, and his coaches pin-pointed his attention to detail as a youngster. I don't see this in Stones who is regressing, making the same mistakes over and over.
he's had his chance. we need to get rid.

Unread 01-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Tiberian

Martinez is not exactly the best manager to learn from for a young defender, has never been able to put together an effective defensive unit.

Discouraging dribbling across the 6 yard box when all it takes is a toe on the ball for it to fly in is hardly showcasing outdated thinking, you would frown upon that type of play in a 6 aside with your mates. Trust your ability yes, but use your brain at the same time.

Unread 01-02-2016, 09:42 AM
sa7

Quote:

I know he's a Chelsea player but no need to libel him pal!
Closed Thread