United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 08-05-2017, 11:59 AM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i'd call this yet another thread hijacked by the LVG mongs, but a/ i'm usually one of them and b/ it's harsh on s/side who's clearly just on a world record wum anyway

mourinho will already know exactly what he needs to do to the squad to get it firing better in the league.

in the meantime he's trying to nick league points whilst going through the motions. it's 100% acceptable strategy, and any united fan of any age will agree - when we used to go for just cups this was standard, except back then we'd chuck in the odd 4 or 5-0 collapse at the likes of watford or forest as well.

a lot of people jumped on the o'farrell bus after fergie quit, but these last 2 seasons have reminded me of fergie's 89 to 91 team. we've chucked a shit load at it to see what sticks, clearly landed a couple of total stars, mixed in a few youth sensations, and now we just need a leader. at the moment our so-called leader is being wheeled out to try and steer us through fulfilling the league schedule while the manager concentrates the 1st choice players on the cup.

if the development carries on then we should easily make top 4 next season and will have a chance to challenge for the title. but we need another top class mobile striker to back rashford up, we need a minder for pogba and we need a top class centre back. we clearly need never to have to wheel the current club skipper out as well. looking forward to waving him off on june 4th.
You paint a pretty picture for the future. Hope it goes how you say.

After his time here so far I doubt it though.

ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Like the last manager, he doesn't trust the defence. Not difficult. I'm sure he'll fix it.
Not really the same
LvG got the full backs forward and actually left our defenders fairly exposed to the counter attack

The problem with LvG's Utd was the possession based football was so slow and turgid to watch and resulted in us having £#%&! all chances

itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Looks like some really heavy hitters are pulling apart the rimjose crew.

Surely MJ, siders, tibs, fuzzy, ethers, bunks, ziggeh, andyroo, Jem and various others can't all be wrong can they?!
Proper football heads there too. And jem.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM
andyroo

Quote:

Surely MJ, siders, tibs, fuzzy, ethers, bunks, ziggeh, andyroo, Jem and various others can't all be wrong can they?!
Well I hope we are

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:01 PM
jem

if you don't trust your defence, playing a sensible midfield would help. but it's not that. if you don't trust your defence, you don't play six of them. jose's attitude to the game is wrong and, as importantly, counterproductive. you sit back, you invite pressure. you don't piss all over a team one way and then crawl into your shell when you are a goal up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex
Proper football heads there too. And jem.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
yet more selective bullshit.

Our goals for column is a £#%&!ing joke.
& bearing in mind the number one scapegoat has only started 3 League games this year (& scored in 2 of them) I'd say the problems up front lie at the feet of all of the players you've graded 'fine' on your bizarre list.
Selective bullshit?
Coming from you? You're the £#%&!ing master of it. "Oh but look at those balls he pings out to Valencia"

And if you had paid attention sometime ago, I was one of many people mouthing off about how Rashford, Zlatan, Pogba, Lingard and Miki were all guilty of missing absolute sitters that would have won us games. But, you assume I blame Rooney for it all?

Smells like selective bullshit to me

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:06 PM
Tiberian

Mourinho has a long history of playing very defensively in big games, especially away from home. Do we not remember Chelsea coming to Utd at the start of the Moyes season, not picking a striker and keeping everyone behind the ball for a dull 0-0?

It is about more than not trusting the players. We could replace all the easy targets with world stars and it is likely he would still set up in the same way. Greater individual quality may allow us to exploit the opportunities on the break, but it does not mean that the tactics are any more positive.

I enjoyed the first half of the season, it felt like he was taking more risks, the tempo was higher even if quality was still intermittent. Bar a few games we have been pretty crap to watch in 2017.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:07 PM
puressence

Quote:
We shall see matey, we shall see.
make sure you bring you didgerdoo with u

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Sapien

Always thought of Clarkie as a happy-go-lucky fella albeit with appalling taste in music. I'm finding his evolution into an ears-esque angry man slightly perturbing.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Buck

If you play a weakened team and have no faith in them holding out that doesn't mean you have to gift the points. He could have literally put out the U21s but with the instructions to attack and try to win which probably gets more good will in defeat. The side he did put out in any case was good enough to have a go at that Arsenal team. His approach was damage limitation.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Always thought of Clarkie as a happy-go-lucky fella albeit with appalling taste in music. I'm finding his evolution into an ears-esque angry man slightly perturbing.
yep, starting to notice this as well.
I'm not even going to bother replying to his latest tirade.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
Got a dose of a cold, shit day at work and that yesterday was £#%&!ing soul destroying.

Reminded me of the City game in 2012. Like two bald men, fighting over a comb

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:14 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Mourinho has a long history of playing very defensively in big games, especially away from home. Do we not remember Chelsea coming to Utd at the start of the Moyes season, not picking a striker and keeping everyone behind the ball for a dull 0-0?

It is about more than not trusting the players. We could replace all the easy targets with world stars and it is likely he would still set up in the same way. Greater individual quality may allow us to exploit the opportunities on the break, but it does not mean that the tactics are any more positive.

I enjoyed the first half of the season, it felt like he was taking more risks, the tempo was higher even if quality was still intermittent. Bar a few games we have been pretty crap to watch in 2017.
Yep we seemed to play with a higher line earlier on this season but as the pressure has come on in the last couple of months he has reverted to type
Maybe he thinks the players aren't in good enough form to go more toe to toe with teams

Never particularly liked his Chelsea side but I was hoping for something more like we saw in his spell in Madrid

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
yep, starting to notice this as well.
I'm not even going to bother replying to his latest tirade.

Well, when the other person is right and you've no answer it's completely understandable

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:19 PM
dunk

My position has always been that he'll need at least a season and a couple of decent windows to get the squad in a position to do what he wants, and if we win the EL it'll be just about an acceptable season. Fail in the EL and it's been woeful. Such are the fine margins. He's made mistakes with the attack; not enough variation on Zlat being the main man; not enough options in wide areas etc. but not all his fault.

I think he'd be getting a load more leeway had he gone for it at City and Yesterday and lost both rather than running up the white flag before even stepping on the pitch, even with more weakened sides. The fact he instinctively goes negative so quickly (Fellaini on for Mkhi at Chelsea in the cup) and tries to protect leads so early in games, while being a symptom of his lack of trust in the players, is also him and his mentality in a nutshell.

The fear is that he remains that way inclined and we regularly see 6 at the back in games against our rivals and go another season failing to score away from home against the 6, or even threatening their goal

Hopefully he'll get the 3 or 4 World Class attackers/CB's he feels he needs to give him the faith in his players to let them loose..

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Not two managers running... you'd think not.

oh wow

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
My position has always been that he'll need at least a season and a couple of decent windows to get the squad in a position to do what he wants, and if we win the EL it'll be just about an acceptable season. Fail in the EL and it's been woeful. Such are the fine margins. He's made mistakes with the attack; not enough variation on Zlat being the main man; not enough options in wide areas etc. but not all his fault.

I think he'd be getting a load more leeway had he gone for it at City and Yesterday and lost both rather than running up the white flag before even stepping on the pitch, even with more weakened sides. The fact he instinctively goes negative so quickly (Fellaini on for Mkhi at Chelsea in the cup) and tries to protect leads so early in games, while being a symptom of his lack of trust in the players, is also him and his mentality in a nutshell.

The fear is that he remains that way inclined and we regularly see 6 at the back in games against our rivals and go another season failing to score away from home against the 6, or even threatening their goal

Hopefully he'll get the 3 or 4 World Class attackers/CB's he feels he needs to give him the faith in his players to let them loose..
Good post
Disagree though, we have threatened the opposition goal this season, it was last season that we rarely if ever did...

The finishing this season has been absolutely disgusting. The last round of the Europa League is a great example of that

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:26 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Good post
Disagree though, we have threatened the opposition goal this season, it was last season that we rarely if ever did...

The finishing this season has been absolutely disgusting. The last round of the Europa League is a great example of that
He means specifically in these "big" games. We've been utterly craven in all of them, pretty disgusting exhibition but it was probably necessary while we were struggling and them flying. Yesterday doesn't fit that bill, they were in open rebellion ffs, we could've kicked them when they were down but just weren't interested. Scandalous.

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Good post

Had about 3 shots on target in 4 games against the top 5 away from home. Managed 1 goal at Everton and haven't played Spurs yet. Doesn't make for good reading..

Unread 08-05-2017, 12:38 PM
shenwen

Quote:

Love the Aussie sense of humour

Half of those listed are wind ups and the other half post shite (on Mourinho). Tibs and Ethers the only bona fides imo

Which side you on parters? Wind up?