United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:02 PM
The Return of JC

Default Seeing as it's looking increasingly likely we ain't gonna sign anyone.....

......and we may blood some youngsters, does anyone think the situation may 'liberate' us?

Not unlike 95-96 (different time, I know, but still....) or even 06-07. Chelsea had cruised to the title for two years on the spin, they signed Ballack and Shevchenko and we seemed light years behind. We added only Carrick and everything was doom and gloom. Certainly worse than now. But we hit the ground running and created a bit of a siege mentality. Players stepped up and came of age (Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic) and Scholes rolled back the years and many seemed to enjoy the added responsibility (as did Rooney last year) and underdogs tag.
There's no reason the likes of Nani, Anderson, Berbatov, Owen: underachievers so far, can't do the same.

There's also no underestimating the pain of losing a title and the hunger the players should have coming back. Many haven't lost a title while at the club (Carrick, Nani, Anderson, Berbatov, twins) and that may provide extra motivation and desire (or in the case of Anderson and Carrick, the kick up the arse they need).

The thing that keeps me positive is that this is still the same squad that finished just a point off Chelsea. We'll be there and thereabouts again - c'mon, we always are! And I don't see any improvement in the other challengers to suggest it'll be anyone other than us and Chelsea taking it to the wire again. City, possibly, but far more question marks over their pedigree than ours.

If a few of the younger lads can make the grade, there would be nothing more satisfying. It's the silver lining of not having the cash to splash. I'd get greater satisfaction from seeing Danny Welbeck come on in leaps and bounds because he's given games, than us signing Balotelli, for example.

Smalling and Hernandez aren't box office, but may surprise a few.

We'll be written off - good! Let them do that. It usually serves us well.

My point is, it's still the same squad that came so close last season and it can improve. We surely won't suffer the horrendous defensive crisis we had last season around Christmas and there's players we know can do better and have the motivation of a disappointing end to the season.

I don't buy into this talk that we'll struggle to challenge. Balls! We've never failed to do that since 1991, ffs and I suspect that won't change until Fergie goes. Not saying we'll win it, but we'll be right in there and there'll be plenty of great moments along the way.

This isn't an attempt to ignore the financial situation.....well, actually it is! It's there, it's shit, it's handicapping us, we all know the score, but the alternative is to sulk and just not watch. No matter how hard the Glazers are screwing us, I'll still be lubed and ready to go come that opening fixture.

So, cheer up.

Hooray for United and things like that.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Harri Jaffa

Default Re: Seeing as it's looking increasingly likely we ain't gonna sign anyone.....

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Default Re: Seeing as it's looking increasingly likely we ain't gonna sign anyone.....

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:07 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Spot on that mate. There is way to many slapped arses in our support and it has to be said on here. It not so long ago that people got excited if we signed one player a season. I'm more than happy with the squad as it is, let the Blue @#%&!s spend as much wonga as they like they'll still finish behind us and Chelsea.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Zorg

One of Fergie's greatest achievements was seeing Chelsea/Abramovich's challenge and raising it. No other manager on earth would have been able to do that. Of course, the difference now is that the Glazers are there, plus the bitters are suddenly the massivest club in the worldiverse, but if there's one person who can handle this kind of situation and still fashion a title-challenging, and possibly even -winning, team, it's Ferguson.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
......and we may blood some youngsters, does anyone think the situation may 'liberate' us?

Not unlike 95-96 (different time, I know, but still....) or even 06-07. Chelsea had cruised to the title for two years on the spin, they signed Ballack and Shevchenko and we seemed light years behind. We added only Carrick and everything was doom and gloom. Certainly worse than now. But we hit the ground running and created a bit of a siege mentality. Players stepped up and came of age (Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic) and Scholes rolled back the years and many seemed to enjoy the added responsibility (as did Rooney last year) and underdogs tag.
There's no reason the likes of Nani, Anderson, Berbatov, Owen: underachievers so far, can't do the same.

There's also no underestimating the pain of losing a title and the hunger the players should have coming back. Many haven't lost a title while at the club (Carrick, Nani, Anderson, Berbatov, twins) and that may provide extra motivation and desire (or in the case of Anderson and Carrick, the kick up the arse they need).

The thing that keeps me positive is that this is still the same squad that finished just a point off Chelsea. We'll be there and thereabouts again - c'mon, we always are! And I don't see any improvement in the other challengers to suggest it'll be anyone other than us and Chelsea taking it to the wire again. City, possibly, but far more question marks over their pedigree than ours.

If a few of the younger lads can make the grade, there would be nothing more satisfying. It's the silver lining of not having the cash to splash. I'd get greater satisfaction from seeing Danny Welbeck come on in leaps and bounds because he's given games, than us signing Balotelli, for example.

Smalling and Hernandez aren't box office, but may surprise a few.

We'll be written off - good! Let them do that. It usually serves us well.

My point is, it's still the same squad that came so close last season and it can improve. We surely won't suffer the horrendous defensive crisis we had last season around Christmas and there's players we know can do better and have the motivation of a disappointing end to the season.

I don't buy into this talk that we'll struggle to challenge. Balls! We've never failed to do that since 1991, ffs and I suspect that won't change until Fergie goes. Not saying we'll win it, but we'll be right in there and there'll be plenty of great moments along the way.

This isn't an attempt to ignore the financial situation.....well, actually it is! It's there, it's shit, it's handicapping us, we all know the score, but the alternative is to sulk and just not watch. No matter how hard the Glazers are screwing us, I'll still be lubed and ready to go come that opening fixture.

So, cheer up.

Hooray for United and things like that.
Any chance of an Executive Summary please mate?

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:10 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
One of Fergie's greatest achievements was seeing Chelsea/Abramovich's challenge and raising it. No other manager on earth would have been able to do that. Of course, the difference now is that the Glazers are there, plus the bitters are suddenly the massivest club in the worldiverse, but if there's one person who can handle this kind of situation and still fashion a title-challenging, and possibly even -winning, team, it's Ferguson.
The Glazers were here when we saw off the Chelsea challenge, but appart from that correctamundo.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:11 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
That computer is like soooo old.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:12 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
It's the latest Amstrad Model.

Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
The Glazers were here when we saw off the Chelsea challenge, but appart from that correctamundo.
They weren't when Abramovich took over, I mean.

dunk

Quote:
Cutting edge technology over the water

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:13 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
They weren't when Abramovich took over, I mean.
Good point, well made Zorgy.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Everyting airie now.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Harri Jaffa

Thumbs up Re: Seeing as it's looking increasingly likely we ain't gonna sign anyone.....

Quote:
Might be alright, might not

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:18 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
We're shit, but season will be a laugh.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
We're shit, but seasoning will be a laugh.
Getting bored with Salt and Pepper tbph horseradish

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:23 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Getting bored with Salt and Pepper tbph horseradish
Get out.

Go on.

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

at the time of signing Carrick we had a terrific squad and were certain to challenge for the 06/07 title, i thought

the second half of the 05/06 season was top. Ronaldo and Rooney, Saha looking good, confidence returning; we won the league cup and very nearly took the title race right to the wire - still believe we would've nicked it but for that sunderland keeper...

on the liberation point I reckon much depends on the manager and on the support. will he give the young players the chance they need? and will the support concentrate on getting behind them if he does? another factor will be how our rivals start the campaign, and whether Ferguson is prepared to remain positive in his selections even if every shit team in the league carries on with the 4-5-1 %@#$&!s we've had to put up with of late

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Get out.

Go on.
Stop calling me Go on

Unread 16-07-2010, 02:31 PM
red in cumbria

I am starting to think the real problem is that whenever we are "linked" with anybody both established and half decent, THOSE @#%&!s down the road immediately move in offering a £50 million fee, plus 2 million per week etc etc

The only two types of players exempt from this are 1) genuine world stars who would laugh at any city "offer". Unfortunately this *is* where the gimps kick in - we can no longer afford them; 2) young "promising" players - this is the type we have signed two of (already) Ciddy are not interested in these types (with the exception of, it seems, Balotelli merely to spite us) since both their owners and (even more) their mongish "fans" demand instant success. So it appears summers like this one and the last are going to be the norm for a year or two yet
Closed Thread