United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2023, 01:31 AM
goldfinger II

Surprised there isn't more positivity around.

Went into that game in a bad way, lacking form and fitness, missing players, ending up having to substitute both our centre-backs - still should've won. Genuinely pleased to see we can still put up a decent performance, considering the previous 3 games.

I like the cut of Onana's jib so far. He has a great presence about him. If Amrabat and Hojland are good, we'll be alright. I'm not overly worried about the league this year - it's not unimportant, but the priority is to build a team.

Unread 05-09-2023, 07:40 AM
Coracao

League is always important.

We need to establish ourselves as a Champions League side. Otherwise we will be regressing, again.

Unread 05-09-2023, 08:34 AM
RedNick80

Re Onana v DeGea and arguing marginal shite like the 2nd goal - we'd have been 2 down in the first 20 minutes without this lads passing and control at the back.

We may have had a billion passes in our own half or whatever but its better than Arsenal having 70% possession and building constant pressure in the early stages.

Unread 05-09-2023, 08:39 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
League is always important.

We need to establish ourselves as a Champions League side. Otherwise we will be regressing, again.
Top 5 should be achievable. We’ll be miles off the top spot though. Can’t see arsenal challenging city and Liverpool May end up 2nd but will be some way off.

The league already tied up 5 games in

Unread 05-09-2023, 08:44 AM
Jethro

A united loss always brings spectacular £#%&!ers out of the woodwork so there is that.

Budding bromance between gnasher and the acne viking is a big positive.

Unread 05-09-2023, 11:29 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Absolute %@#$&!s jem, he wouldn’t get near the first one at his absolute peak.

Second one, maybe, reactions being his strong point, but Onana nearly stopped it and the deflection wasn’t far out, so even that is doubtful.
bearing in mind I said before the season started that each goal we conceded would be greeted with "de gea would have saved that" (not to mention every save being sraight at onana), I feel this conversation has gone further than it should have. however... de gea, at his absolute peak, was unbeatable, as you well know.

Unread 05-09-2023, 11:41 AM
the heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
bearing in mind I said before the season started that each goal we conceded would be greeted with "de gea would have saved that" (not to mention every save being sraight at onana), I feel this conversation has gone further than it should have. however... de gea, at his absolute peak, was unbeatable, as you well know.
This is pretty much true but that isn't the De Gea we traded for Onana so it's pretty pointless trotting it out.

It did occur to me at the time that Alex Stepney/Gary Bailey/Chris Turner/Les Sealey/Mark Bosnich/Whoever-You're-Having-Yourself, at his best, would've saved the one against West Ham last season, but I kinda thought it was senseless to mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
bearing in mind I said before the season started that each goal we conceded would be greeted with "de gea would have saved that"
I'm not sure that's all that much of a prophecy when you yourself are the one fulfilling it btw.

Unread 05-09-2023, 11:55 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heathen
I'm not sure that's all that much of a prophecy when you yourself are the one fulfilling it btw.
it wasn't a prophesy so much as a promise.

de gea did need replacing and has not been peak de gea for a while (although not a priority compared to midfield). onana is entertaining/effective/heart attack inducing with the ball, but we do need world class shot stopping. de gea had that once. a united keeper should be compared to de gea at his best, not de gea at his worst. the bar seems to be set pretty low by the de geaters. low enough for barthez to swing on.

Unread 05-09-2023, 12:12 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it wasn't a prophesy so much as a promise.

de gea did need replacing and has not been peak de gea for a while (although not a priority compared to midfield). onana is entertaining/effective/heart attack inducing with the ball, but we do need world class shot stopping. de gea had that once. a united keeper should be compared to de gea at his best, not de gea at his worst. the bar seems to be set pretty low by the de geaters. low enough for barthez to swing on.
Utter drivel jem.
Closed Thread