United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-05-2007, 01:31 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i'd agree with that, but that's almost inevitable with the late stages of any competition, whatever the format. the league bit has made the early matches very dull, though. look at how teams approach them: we need 9 points to go through...a draw away in europe is always a good result...

i agree about the effects of the away goals rule - personally i'd like to see the end of it. i don't think it makes teams more adventurous in the slightest. two legs, home and away. most goals wins.
Can't stand the Group stage myself, would much rather it was knock out from the beginning. Agree about away goals too, should be abandoned. £#%&!ing hate them!

Unread 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Anyone any ideas on how to change the way the game is played though ??

Players are becoming bigger. stronger and quicker.

It's a prerequisite for clubs to pick the bigger lads at junior level, because they are the most "effective"

How do we make the game more about skill and less about physical attributes ??

Make the pitches smaller ???

Unread 08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Tiberian

If you scrap the away goals rule it surely means the team playing away first is more likely to play entirely for a 0-0 draw. Without the worry of away goals at home, most team will take a one off game at Home to see them through.

More teams are showing positive intent in the away game to get that crucial goal.

The league stage in the CL usually showcases the best football, less worry of one mistake knocking you out, encourages more open and risk taking football.

Problem is that teams like Liverpool and Milan, not having to concentrate on league commitments have mugged tired and and depleted sides to get to the final.

Up to the attacking sides to bite back next year, hopefully Barca are back to their best, Madrid can keep us their improvement, Utd can improve further.

Unread 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM
MJ Ramone

The 'Shit On A Stick' quote is one of the finest descriptions of Liverpool & Chelsea's brand of football that I have ever seen
Closed Thread