Tony.......Mata.......Jizjaz
.............Fatboy

Unread 25-01-2014, 10:52 AM
fergieslovechild

Fel/carrick

Val Mata. Adnan

Rooney
Rvp

Everybody else squad players, unless we sign another right sided midfielder to give Valencia competition.

Unread 25-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Aman27deep

Mata - Rooney - Januzaj/Kagawa
RVP

Pretty simple. Our wingers are useless, no point persisting with them.

Furry Russian hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Mata, Young, Januzaj, Kagawa, Rooney, Valencia, RvP, Welbeck, Pea....etc

I'd like to see

Carrick - Fletcher
Adnan - Rooney - Mata
Rvp

But I wonder if we'd be strong enough.

He also obviously doesn't like dropping Valencia
That would be my front six, a powerful midfielder to replace Fletcher (l like Fletch) and we'd be laughing.

S/Side.Red

Feels a bit Berbatov-ish, tbh. I wondered how they'd fit him in without £#%&!ing someone off and indeed Tevez was £#%&!ed off.

I dunno if Mata and two centre-forwards, plus Adnan, is workable. Ridiculously good attacking options now though ffs

Unread 25-01-2014, 10:56 AM
guerreiro

Bunk beds

Unread 25-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Mr Castro

With everyone fit, the front four of Adnan, Rooney, Mata and Van Persie looks strongest. Defensive midfield could be an issue with no Carrick for a few weeks (fletcher/Jones, Fletcher/Fellaini, Fletcher/cleverley) but there should be enough goal threat to offset that issue.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Feels a bit Berbatov-ish, tbh. I wondered how they'd fit him in without £#%&!ing someone off and indeed Tevez was £#%&!ed off.

I dunno if Mata and two centre-forwards, plus Adnan, is workable. Ridiculously good attacking options now though ffs
Mata and Januzaj on the wings would leave the full backs exposed, neither are strong defensively. Januzaj will be rotated a lot more, his workload needs to be managed to avoid burnout.

The constant Rooney as a 10 question have to be resolved, bringing in Mata who is best in central attacking areas would allow Utd to move away from the Rooney dropping off and pinging every ball to the right wing style.

I still think Nani on his best form would have to be part of the equation but the chances of him getting the type of gametime he will need looks unlikely. A pity because he is the type of technical player that Mata could link well with.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:01 AM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
With everyone fit, the front four of Adnan, Rooney, Mata and Van Persie looks strongest. Defensive midfield could be an issue with no Carrick for a few weeks (fletcher/Jones, Fletcher/Fellaini, Fletcher/cleverley) but there should be enough goal threat to offset that issue.
If they can get Fellaini to a psychologist to sort his confidence out I think he would make a decent defensive midfielder.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:03 AM
believe

It's like fitting a square peg in a round hole. Makes you wonder if there is another big exit on the cards?

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
If they can get Fellaini to a psychologist to sort his confidence out I think he would make a decent defensive midfielder.
Yes, for Everton.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:10 AM
fergieslovechild

Unless we buy somebody else, carrick is now early 30s and starting to pick up injuries I can't see who else would play as defensive midfielder.

Clevs?
Jones?
Fletch?

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Norm

Actually think Adnans tracking back isn't bad.

Playing ahead of Evra it has to be at least average.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
Unless we buy somebody else, carrick is now early 30s and starting to pick up injuries I can't see who else would play as defensive midfielder.

Clevs?
Jones?
Fletch?
It is why Fellaini was such a poor signing. Utd needed pace and mobility in that role. It is also why Hargreaves and Fletcher(07-10) were very effective, not just sitting but pressing at speed, covering the gaps that an attacking team will invariably leave.

His passing is not up to standard either.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:18 AM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It is why Fellaini was such a poor signing. Utd needed pace and mobility in that role. It is also why Hargreaves and Fletcher(07-10) were very effective, not just sitting but pressing at speed, covering the gaps that an attacking team will invariably leave.

His passing is not up to standard either.
I agree, but unless we sign somebody else and the club admit they made an expensive mistake I see no viable long term alternative.

Do you?

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Gnome Chomsky

Van Persie

Januzaj Kagawa Mata

It's gonna get really complicated when Draxler and Fischer arrive in the summer.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:28 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Mata and Januzaj on the wings would leave the full backs exposed, neither are strong defensively. Januzaj will be rotated a lot more, his workload needs to be managed to avoid burnout.

The constant Rooney as a 10 question have to be resolved, bringing in Mata who is best in central attacking areas would allow Utd to move away from the Rooney dropping off and pinging every ball to the right wing style.

I still think Nani on his best form would have to be part of the equation but the chances of him getting the type of gametime he will need looks unlikely. A pity because he is the type of technical player that Mata could link well with.
Yep. In the short term the most obvious solution is Rooney adapting and playing from wide again. Although he doesn't prefer it, I reckon accommodating a player like Mata could convince him to give it a go. Besides, there are big question marks over RvP's fitness from now on, so he may get plenty of football in that striker role. Where this all leaves Welbz's development is another issue

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:42 AM
janners

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Mata, Young, Januzaj, Kagawa, Rooney, Valencia, RvP, Welbeck, Pea....etc

I'd like to see

Carrick - Fletcher
Adnan - Rooney - Mata
Rvp

But I wonder if we'd be strong enough.

He also obviously doesn't like dropping Valencia
You have forgotten the likes of nani and giggs too..

I think playing time for the likes of young/valencia/nani are going to be incredibly limited since we are out of both cup competitions and we have 16 must win matches in the premier league.

RVP, Rooney, mata, januzaj, kagawa, welbeck are going to get highest game time imo. RVP, mata and Rooney if fit will start every match meaning there is only 1 more attacking spot left. Even when Janners needs to be rested, he will be on bench, same with kagawa. And now that Fellaini is fit he will be either in the team or on the bench. With welbeck and Pea likely to be on the bench as well, there may not be space on the bench for any other winger to be on the bench.

7 spots on the bench : 1 GK, 2 DF, 2 CM, 2 ST/Wingers

Can't see how young/nani/valencia will get any meaningful game time tbh since they will struggle to even make the bench. I will not be surprised one or two of the above 3 to be sold if a good offer comes along.

Michael Owen on BT Sport said he has been told mata won't be the only signing this window. Mike Keegan from MEN says the same.

Unread 25-01-2014, 11:44 AM
dunk

Valencia will start every game.

The manager is still Moyes ffs.
Closed Thread