United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Who gives a @#%&!ting £#%&! if he's been the best, or who has been the best?

He's a tremendous £#%&!ing footballer at a tremendous club, who have had a history of producing and shaping tremendous players for years.
This is true - I just can't think of any better

Unread 20-09-2009, 09:52 PM
MJ Ramone

He's the best player I've ever seen in a United shirt (I only go back to the early-mid 80s though)
Of course there have been truly top class players in that time - Robbo, Eric, Keane, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney etc.. but Giggsy ticks EVERY box.

I literally idolise the man.

He'll go down as the greatest ever United player in my humble opinion.

Unread 20-09-2009, 10:11 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog Coch
Yup, thats what clinches it by a mile. Unbelievable and I saw Duncan Edwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
I

You saw Billy £#%&!ing Meredith you silly old @#%&!. Bingo starts at seven btw.

Unread 20-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Coracao

Whilst I love Giggs, he has never been the best player in a United side imo.

Unbelievable how long he has performed to an exceptional standard though.

Unread 21-09-2009, 10:46 AM
antonin jablonsky

He was a £#%&!ing joy to watch yesterday.

Unread 21-09-2009, 10:49 AM
thatsfuctit

what a ball that is

Unread 21-09-2009, 10:50 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Simply stunning.

Unread 21-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Whilst I love Giggs, he has never been the best player in a United side imo.

Unbelievable how long he has performed to an exceptional standard though.

This is what makes it for me. He's been so good for so long, that that makes him the best.

Maybe not had the same stunning individual seasons as some, but consistently fantastic for nearly 2 decades

Unread 21-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Spiffy

In years to come, when people talk about footballing greats, Giggs will be in there with Maldini but I doubt Ronaldo will be. Ronaldo is like a bright star who will only shine for a few years. Giggs has been the best in the country in his position for 2 decades. Yes there have been better players for a season or two, but overall, no one measures up.

Best was superb but only for a few seasons. It's the longevity at the top that makes him special.

Lewis Hamilton could beat all Schumacher's lap times but we all know who the best driver was.

How many games at the very highest level has Giggs influenced? That should be the test surely?

Unread 21-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
In years to come, when people talk about footballing greats, Giggs will be in there with Maldini but I doubt Ronaldo will be. Ronaldo is like a bright star who will only shine for a few years. Giggs has been the best in the country in his position for 2 decades. Yes there have been better players for a season or two, but overall, no one measures up.

Best was superb but only for a few seasons. It's the longevity at the top that makes him special.

Lewis Hamilton could beat all Schumacher's lap times but we all know who the best driver was.

How many games at the very highest level has Giggs influenced? That should be the test surely?
Don't really agree with that. He has been performing to an exceptional standard for 3 years. He also probably isn't the finished article. He is already tearing the Spanish league to bits. He isn't the sort of person to go off the rails ala Ronaldinho.

He will be talked about as one of the greatest of all time, in a very elite band of players. NQAT.

Unread 21-09-2009, 11:34 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Maldini
nearly threw the Maldini similarities in myself earlier in the thread.
  • consumate pro
  • one club pro career
  • most appearances for club
  • medals galore

Unread 21-09-2009, 11:53 AM
LaPaz

Quote:

Yes, Best only played 470 games for us scoring 179 goals nothing much of a career

Unread 21-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
Yes, Best only played 470 games for us scoring 179 goals nothing much of a career
And retired for the first time at what age? 27 or something. Yes there were comebacks but Giggs has a decade on Best.

FTR I love Geroge Best. This is not an attack on the genius. But you have to say Giggs managing the pressure that broke so many world class players is an achievement in itself.

Unread 21-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Yep, they simply couldn't deal with the Giggs/Evra combination play on the left, even when Ireland or De Jong tried to help out.

As a side note, Richards truly is awful on the ball. If you take out backpasses made to the goalkeeper, he attempted 16 passes in the whole game yesterday and gave it away 11 times. It shows both how little they try to get him on the ball (Bridge made well over double the amount of passes) and how awful his distribution is.
None of my city mates rate him whatsoever. In fact, they were amazed at all the hype surrounding him a couple of years ago when he got into the England side. Good athlete but shit footballer. His positional sense is woeful.

Unread 21-09-2009, 02:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
None of my city mates rate him whatsoever. In fact, they were amazed at all the hype surrounding him a couple of years ago when he got into the England side. Good athlete but shit footballer. His positional sense is woeful.
I have to admit that I bought into the hype a couple of years ago, although I always had him down as a central defender. I still think he has a lot of potential in that area, but as a full-back, where it looks like he'll be playing for the foreseeable future, he is utter garbage.

Unread 21-09-2009, 02:24 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Richards needs to lay off the roids. He is awful

Unread 21-09-2009, 02:32 PM
SilverSurfer

Giggs will simply be remembered to Fergie's tenure what Sir Bobby Charlton was to Sir Matt's; embodying all the best aspects of it to be a player largely respected by fans of all other clubs (cranks aside).

A player from the youth ranks who remained with his club, who ignored the celebrity stardom arising a the rapidly changing game to play the game with grace, skill and hunger.

People can argue whether he was the best player at the club even when he was there but no one can deny he wasn't hugely influential.

And yes, Richards has rocks in his head for brains. No positional sense, little footballing ability; city have produced several from their youth team like him.

Unread 21-09-2009, 03:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
.And yes, Richards has rocks in his head for brains. No positional sense, little footballing ability; city have produced several from their youth team like him.
I know a few lads there, they concentrate solely on physical stature and athletic ability and try and teach the football side. My mate's brother has been there since he was 11 and is still there at 20, but is overlooked a lot of the time as he is more a footballer and mnot as physically big as the others. They won't let him go though

Oh, and Nedum Onuha is a miles better player than Richards, imo, and they will lose him soon, having replaced him with a duckegg like Lescott and blocked his path.
Closed Thread