United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Do you consider Beckham a United legend?
Yes 29 65.91%
No 15 34.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Was an excellent player for most of his career at United and while it suited him. He could have been a legend but being England captain and a 'celeb' was far more important to him.
yeah, what he said.

Unread 01-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Professor

Could he have been though? Could he be the type to have inspired the team like a Robson or Keane? He was a great player, but legend (to me) implies an ability to lead and make everyone else better. I'm not sure that was him.

Unread 02-05-2008, 03:05 AM
utd99

Default The term 'Legend' is flung around way too easily these days..

..and every time it is it devalues the concept.

Becks was a great player but in my eyes if you label him a 'legend' then it takes something away from Charlton, Best, Edwards and Cantona.

Every great club should only have a handful of legends.

As an aside, the only player of the current crop that is even close to joining this elite group is Giggs.

And Ferguson, of course.

Unread 02-05-2008, 03:12 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
..and every time it is it devalues the concept.

Becks was a great player but in my eyes if you label him a 'legend' then it takes something away from Charlton, Best, Edwards and Cantona.

Every great club should only have a handful of legends.

As an aside, the only player of the current crop that is even close to joining this elite group is Giggs.

And Ferguson, of course.
What about Scholes?

Unread 02-05-2008, 03:17 AM
utd99

Default opinions will vary of course

but I would say no.

Unread 02-05-2008, 04:20 AM
silv

Default im sorry

but his right foot, his amount of assits and fantastic free kicks all the time he was loving playing for us cements him as a personal legend of mine.

All the other side %@#$&!s doesnt mean a thing compared to beckham from the half way line and every other mm perfect cross he put in.

the only players id be equally gutted as leaving are ronaldo and rooney and these two are already legends.

ronaldo and beckham draw m,any similiarities. much can be attributed to ferguson

Unread 02-05-2008, 08:13 AM
edwin

The term legend is dished out as often as England caps these days

Becks was a great player for us, as weas Mark Hughes, but these are the legends of the last 40 years ...

Best, Law, Charlton, Buchan, Robson, Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel, Ronaldo.

Honourable mentions to Solksjaer, Irwin, Scholes, G Neville, Giggs, Rooney etc etc etc, but all of the above were almost bigger than the team, and could virtually win a game on their own

Unread 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Legend but only just.

He sits below Ole, Giggs, Scholes

Unread 02-05-2008, 08:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

I'm very bored of David Beckham.

Unread 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin
The term legend is dished out as often as England caps these days

Becks was a great player for us, as weas Mark Hughes, but these are the legends of the last 40 years ...

Best, Law, Charlton, Buchan, Robson, Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel, Ronaldo.

Honourable mentions to Solksjaer, Irwin, Scholes, G Neville, Giggs, Rooney etc etc etc, but all of the above were almost bigger than the team, and could virtually win a game on their own
get to £#%&!

Unread 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Yep.

Forced out the club by Ferguson.
And rightly so!

Unread 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM
edwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
get to £#%&!
I'm judging players as footballers, not as people.
Best goalkeeper I have ever seen, but not the greatest person in the world, granted.
Closed Thread