United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Zorg

Football Xavi's only regret

Quote:
'Maybe one small regret is that I never got to play with Paul Scholes - but I was never going to leave Barcelona and he was never going to leave Manchester United.'
Probably been posted - but I don't care.

Unread 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM
forzagarza

Yeah saw Xavi post it on Red Cafe

Unread 06-08-2014, 07:50 PM
MagnificentSeven

Thumbs up

he once said that if he lived in england he'd have been a united fan

love how appreciated we are abroad. makes the small minded abus that inhabit this nation seem even more pathetic.

Unread 06-08-2014, 07:56 PM
barrington avenue

he would have played for United, he was very much a bit part player for Barca till he got on the PEDs

he was brilliant for about 3 years ,way better(more important) than Iniesta imo

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Switching Off

I'm sure Scholes will find something to criticise him for in his next Paddy Power blog.

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Bunker Buster

Cringe.

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Mr Castro

Nearly happened too, I forget the year exactly (it's in Graham hunter's book) but he was considering us because he was frustrated at being behind Guardiola etc in the pecking order, but decided to stay and fight for his place

Didn't work out badly tbf.

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Cringe.

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:17 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
Nearly happened too, I forget the year exactly (it's in Graham hunter's book) but he was considering us because he was frustrated at being behind Guardiola etc in the pecking order, but decided to stay and fight for his place

Wouldn't have worked as a pairing in Frog's midfields, imo.

And Scholes>Xavi, nqat

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Neo

Would be great to see them play together in a testimonial or some shit, tbh. Midfield three with Pirlo.

Agree with Siders, too. Scholes was a more complete player, especially when you compare their long-range passing, shooting, heading and goals.

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:39 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Cringe.
Reverse cringe.

With pike.

Unread 06-08-2014, 08:55 PM
djsst

Did he mention de Jong

Unread 06-08-2014, 09:42 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Quote:
'Maybe one small regret is that I never got to play with Paul Scholes - but I was never going to leave Barcelona and he was never going to leave Manchester United.'
Probably been posted - but I don't care.
that....and the charlie carolli eyebrows....

Unread 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro

Apparently it was when Guardiola took the reigns at Barca, his first job was convincing Xavi not to go to United, alledgedly of course as there was absolutely zero speculation around this at the time.

Unread 07-08-2014, 12:43 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Would be great to see them play together in a testimonial or some shit, tbh. Midfield three with Pirlo.

Agree with Siders, too. Scholes was a more complete player, especially when you compare their long-range passing, shooting, heading and goals.
£#%&!ing drool

Unread 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrington avenue
he would have played for United, he was very much a bit part player for Barca till he got on the PEDs

he was brilliant for about 3 years ,way better(more important) than Iniesta imo
laughable bullshit

Unread 07-08-2014, 02:04 AM
Part 36 Offer

What a player Xavi is/was. One of my all time favourite non-united footballers.

An absolute joy to watch.

Unread 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
And Scholes>Xavi, nqat
The great man agrees:

Quote:
"Paul Scholes! A role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."
Quote:
"Although their style was different I liked Roy Keane and Paul Ince together, too. That United team was great – my English team. If I'd gone anywhere, it would have been there."
Link

One of the best players I've ever seen. Incredible talent.

Unread 07-08-2014, 08:29 AM
The Watcher

Also, Xavi confirmed United "had a look" in summer 2007:

Quote:
"It's certain that they (Manchester United) have contacted my agent Ivan Corretja, but I have a contract with Barcelona and if United want something to happen they would have to get in contact with my club."
Link

Mentioned in G-Huntz book that he considered leaving Barcelona in the early 2000s when he struggled to nail down a first team spot. United was his preferred destination.

Top Red, nqat.

Unread 07-08-2014, 08:30 AM
dragflick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Reverse cringe.

With pike.

Bunks with his cringe ffs

Good to read shit like that, Xavi- great player and like Parters said, a non-United player you love to watch.
Closed Thread