United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Turin

Remember it well, scarred me for years. Ten years old, used to cut out all the match reports, take note of each attendance (about 52000 capacity those days). We started off with a 4-0 win against Villa and had a great run. Ended up finishing behind West Ham. Robbo's injuries killed us in those days.

Big Ron had to go after that in fairness.

Unread 13-09-2009, 06:06 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin
Remember it well, scarred me for years. Ten years old, used to cut out all the match reports, take note of each attendance (about 52000 capacity those days). We started off with a 4-0 win against Villa and had a great run. Ended up finishing behind West Ham. Robbo's injuries killed us in those days.

confirmed.

Unread 13-09-2009, 06:28 PM
thankseric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin

seconded.

The football we played those 10 games was some of the best I've ever seen from us. And yeah, none of it on he bloody telly!!

Robbo & Norm were just incredible.

Unread 13-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Mr Kaboom

The club shop used to sell VHS cassettes of each game. I have one somewhere of us beating QPR 2-0 with a screaming 20 yard half volley from Hughes.

Unread 13-09-2009, 09:12 PM
elephantstone

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
I prefered the 84/85 season, at least we came away with something, and big norm scoring a mint goal in the final!
the 2 semi finals were epic. The game at Goodison for sheer violence will live with me forever.

Great days

Unread 13-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Erics Collar

i remember........bad times

thank God for Fergie

Unread 13-09-2009, 11:40 PM
jem

Default bryan robson

was our roy batty.

I don't know how anyone can remember the 80s as bad times just because liverpool kept winning the league.

that was a fantastic team when we could put out our first xi and would beat anyone. and I mean any £#%&!ing team on the planet. the 85 cup final was the best day of my life. you people are £#%&!ing crazy anyway.

bryan robson, mark hughes, norman whiteside, paul £#%&!ing mcgrath.... giants. £#%&!ing giants.

Unread 13-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up

Gordon Strachan was actually good in those days too.

Unread 14-09-2009, 12:32 AM
wiganste

Imagine the bitching on here if t'internet was around then?

Quote:
berba

£#%&! off Robson you sicknote @#%&!
Quote:
Aloe Blacc

Hughes hasn't got Stapleton as his safety net...
Quote:
marlo

Bitch bitch, whinge whinge. Atkinson is a clueless @#%&!. He should only be playing black players
Of course, that's all fantasy. Because if those 3 were around in the 80's, berba and Leg Saf would be Liverpool fans and marlo would be Arsenal.

Unread 14-09-2009, 12:35 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
He was a wonderful little player.

Unread 14-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Imagine the bitching on here if t'internet was around then?

Of course, that's all fantasy. Because if those 3 were around in the 80's, berba and Leg Saf would be Liverpool fans and marlo would be Arsenal.

Unread 14-09-2009, 10:53 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
As I remember it he was playing brilliantly until the WBA game when he wrapped his %@#$&!s around a goalpost and was injured

Suprised nobody mentioned how Hughes stopped scoring after christmas and went on the lash big time as a result of some great man management by the chairman trying to offload a young lad to Barcelona against his wishes

Unread 14-09-2009, 11:24 AM
SilverSurfer

Can't ever remember a season starting so promisingly to end up so badly. We turned really awful after losing at Sheffield Wednesday, didn't win three on the trot for the rest of the season. Hughes was off, Gibson and Davenport the replacements, Robson permanently injured, Feb/March time we only ever seemed to play West Ham (and never beat them).

I remember footy being back on the telly by the Sheff Wed home game and when we lost that, it confirmed we couldn't win the league. I was absolutely gutted.

Unread 14-09-2009, 12:12 PM
dodger

That team shoudl have won the title. If Robson had stayed fit and Hughes hadn't had his head turned by Barca I think we would have. Can't say Bailey was any better then Turner either

Unread 14-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Pete's Shoes

Remember Tom Tyrell and his crackly grammaphone PA system?

Unread 14-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Gakbu

Default Paul McGrath

Just read his book, "back from the brink", absolutely essential reading on that period. Some of the shit he went through !!

Unread 14-09-2009, 01:24 PM
redandhappy

Remember peter barnes in the first half of the season came out of retirement to score a few goals and set a few up but like all things city only had half a season in him.

Unread 14-09-2009, 01:29 PM
originalhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakbu
Just read his book, "back from the brink", absolutely essential reading on that period. Some of the shit he went through !!
Going to get that book meself, stories of mcgrath, robbo, whiteside and moran, pissed up in a bar or pub in hale, a day or two before a game, proper men!
Closed Thread