United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-05-2018, 12:13 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
Nobody wants United to lose it's just Saffers way of lashing out and trying to claim the higher ground because he's a massive fanny who called it wrong on pretty much everything.
No you actually explicitly cheer united losses though.

Wrong on everything, must be why Mou is still our manager, improving us and you crying daily on the internet. Grown man.

Unread 26-05-2018, 01:46 AM
General Woundwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
That and Lukaku as good as throwing the match
And then, in the very next game, Lukaku is back defending corners again. What the £#%&! are we paying the manager for?

Quote:
I get that plenty of people didn't want Mou to begin with (I had plenty of reservations but we were heading into the abyss) however it's really quite boring to read relentless anti-Mou stuff every day for the two and a half years since he became the prime candidate for the job.
I agree. It is boring. Everything about the @#%&!'s tenure is boring. Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Unread 26-05-2018, 02:16 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
And then, in the very next game, Lukaku is back defending corners again. What the £#%&! are we paying the manager for?
Defending corners? @#%&! should have been shot after that non-celebration nonsense

Quote:

I agree. It is boring. Everything about the @#%&!'s tenure is boring. Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Could go either way, the league is utterly horrific so with a decent summer and a fair wind he could leave us in a year with a better squad than he inherited and in the CL places for the next guy to have a foundation. More likely however is that after a summer of shunting out Martial and god knows who else we'll be left with a glorified Stoke in the Europa at best.

Unread 26-05-2018, 06:13 AM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
saffers is fast becoming the biggest joke on here.

Unread 26-05-2018, 06:44 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
saffers is fast becoming the biggest joke on here.
He’s just on a long boring wum right? Surely...

Unread 26-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
He’s just on a long boring wum right? Surely...
Yeah mate; no sane person could post in the same manner he does.

He used to be funny; he's awful now.

Unread 26-05-2018, 10:41 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'm not giving him any kudos for it, any idiot can throw a load of attacking players together, just pointing out that it was incompetence not cowardice that cost us that day. That and Lukaku as good as throwing the match.

I get that plenty of people didn't want Mou to begin with (I had plenty of reservations but we were heading into the abyss) however it's really quite boring to read relentless anti-Mou stuff every day for the two and a half years since he became the prime candidate for the job.
Really? Yeah we fielded attacking players but the gameplan was very reactive. We sat off them from the start and basically waited for mistakes, which came with our goal against the run of play. I was quite surprised as the pragmatist in Mou would surely have felt putting pressure on them and using the crowd felt the best way to win the game, but we were all about staying in shape.

Lowest possession for us at OT on record iirc for the stat lads (not me) on here.

Unread 26-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Really? Yeah we fielded attacking players but the gameplan was very reactive. We sat off them from the start and basically waited for mistakes, which came with our goal against the run of play. I was quite surprised as the pragmatist in Mou would surely have felt putting pressure on them and using the crowd felt the best way to win the game, but we were all about staying in shape.

Lowest possession for us at OT on record iirc for the stat lads (not me) on here.
Seemed like it to me though I wouldn't be surprised either way. Felt like as in the corresponding fixture the year before city went into it with extra motivation and as in that fixture we had a non-existent midfield who were neither attacking nor defensive.

Back to Mou I wouldn't be arsed if he was binned tomorrow but at the same time ripping up and starting again, with a short transfer window and WC on the horizon could leave us even more in the shit than one more year of him to at least (wishful thinking) bin some more of the shit@#%&!s and bring in some real quality. His recruitment has been hit and miss but it's been an improvement on the last two managers and probably Fergie's last couple of years.

Unread 26-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Back to Mou I wouldn't be arsed if he was binned tomorrow but at the same time ripping up and starting again, with a short transfer window and WC on the horizon could leave us even more in the shit than one more year of him to at least (wishful thinking) bin some more of the shit@#%&!s and bring in some real quality. His recruitment has been hit and miss but it's been an improvement on the last two managers and probably Fergie's last couple of years.
Agree wholeheartedly

It's a question of patience and while it's obviously made harder with the way city and liverpool are playing, at this stage bringing in another new manager would mean another setback and several more years of trying to get some stability.

Of course it could be argued that it doesn't matter who the manager is, that stability won't ever fully arrive unless the club starts acting like it knows what it's doing and has a coherent long term strategy. Obviously I'm confident woody has it all under control and this is all part of his masterplan

Unread 26-05-2018, 04:16 PM
S/Side.Red

One problem with that is that Mourinho, whether he’s losing it or still has it, increasingly looks a manager out of sync with modern managers. That may not be a bad thing for the moment (I think it is tbh ) but it leaves the likelihood that his replacement will have very different ideas.

So you run the very realistic risk of him building a squad in his image that the next manager will indeed tear up. Can see many modern managers not fancying Lukaku, for example, and the style of play and training would likely change drastically too.

This search of continuity feels like delaying the inevitable to me. United will have a modern, hipster bell type manager before long.

It’s one thing to have him come in for a few years to an already constructed side and make a few signings and leave. But he’s not someone I would personally trust to build something. And especially at this stage of his career when he’s starting to look a little short on ideas.

Unread 26-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Chris Quayd

There's no doubt he's losing it, it's just a question of how much he still has left in what will likely be his last season with us.

Agree that he isn't the ideal candidate to build a squad but it wouldn't hurt to have a squad that at least compliments each other and based on some of the players we are linked with it looks like recruitment is not solely down to him. To give him some credit he at least understands that in order to improve in the medium term you need to win in the short term, again something the last two managers seemed to think was of no import to their job prospects.

Can only hope the next manager doesn't build the team around Lukaku, he is probably good enough as a plan b and as one of two/three strikers that are played in different formations but the idea of trying to play a lone striker regardless of personnel with Rom as the undisputed first choice is depressing.

Unread 26-05-2018, 04:39 PM
Cream

Quote:
One problem with that is that Mourinho, whether he’s losing it or still has it, increasingly looks a manager out of sync with modern managers. That may not be a bad thing for the moment (I think it is tbh ) but it leaves the likelihood that his replacement will have very different ideas.

So you run the very realistic risk of him building a squad in his image that the next manager will indeed tear up. Can see many modern managers not fancying Lukaku, for example, and the style of play and training would likely change drastically too.

This search of continuity feels like delaying the inevitable to me. United will have a modern, hipster bell type manager before long.

It’s one thing to have him come in for a few years to an already constructed side and make a few signings and leave. But he’s not someone I would personally trust to build something. And especially at this stage of his career when he’s starting to look a little short on ideas.
Out of touch with trends, maybe.

But trends don't really matter, the quality of player, leadership and somebody able to make tough decisions is what matters.

If he was tactically out of touch, we wouldn't have beaten Spurs, Liverpool and City.

Lukaku is one thing, but Pogba, Sanchez and Matic should all suit a 'modern' manager. Fred looks to be a skilful enough sort.

Let's see how we get on next season. He'll likely not be here for a fourth. The squad will be miiiiles better.

Unread 26-05-2018, 04:40 PM
red in cumbria

He will only be here for a fourth season if we do very well in the coming campaign. Win-win really.

Unread 26-05-2018, 05:00 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
There's no doubt he's losing it, it's just a question of how much he still has left in what will likely be his last season with us.

Agree that he isn't the ideal candidate to build a squad but it wouldn't hurt to have a squad that at least compliments each other and based on some of the players we are linked with it looks like recruitment is not solely down to him. To give him some credit he at least understands that in order to improve in the medium term you need to win in the short term, again something the last two managers seemed to think was of no import to their job prospects.

Can only hope the next manager doesn't build the team around Lukaku, he is probably good enough as a plan b and as one of two/three strikers that are played in different formations but the idea of trying to play a lone striker regardless of personnel with Rom as the undisputed first choice is depressing.
Yeah, which is why I singled that one out in particular. It's not just that he's our £75m striker, but the team is fashioned around him, to the extent that Mou seems to think getting a B-grade Lukaku for when he's injured is a priority.

Not sure I totally agree on winning now. Most important in the post-Fergie era for me was rebuilding and in a way revolutionising. Fergie's style of management was unsustainable without him. United had to come into the modern world. Will never happen overnight; I still tend to the view that the guy after Mourinho will do it, and that someone like minded to LvG following him would have facilitated it to the point that maybe we'd be there by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Out of touch with trends, maybe.

But trends don't really matter, the quality of player, leadership and somebody able to make tough decisions is what matters.

If he was tactically out of touch, we wouldn't have beaten Spurs, Liverpool and City.

Lukaku is one thing, but Pogba, Sanchez and Matic should all suit a 'modern' manager. Fred looks to be a skilful enough sort.

Let's see how we get on next season. He'll likely not be here for a fourth. The squad will be miiiiles better.
I was careful not to say he's ineffective. That's why I said regardless of whether you think he's losing it and that his individualism may be still be a good thing. I personally agree with Scholes when he says Mou sets up for every big game the same way and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I no longer see him as the arch pragmatist who adapts depending on the situation.

Besides, that really wasn't the point. It was more that the next guy will probably rip up the Mou blueprint the same way Mou did LvG's.

Unread 26-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Not sure I totally agree on winning now. Most important in the post-Fergie era for me was rebuilding and in a way revolutionising. Fergie's style of management was unsustainable without him. United had to come into the modern world. Will never happen overnight; I still tend to the view that the guy after Mourinho will do it, and that someone like minded to LvG following him would have facilitated it to the point that maybe we'd be there by now.

You don't think there should be a minimum expectation on league position regardless of the end vision of the manager in place? We have been one of the top spenders every season since Fergie left, for financial and other reasons I think 4th is a reasonable minimum bar. It is no coincidence that Moyes was sacked the day after we were mathematically out of contention and I can't be sure but LVG might have saved himself if he managed to make the CL in his second season.

Unread 26-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Cream

Quote:
You don't think there should be a minimum expectation on league position regardless of the end vision of the manager in place? We have been one of the top spenders every season since Fergie left, for financial and other reasons I think 4th is a reasonable minimum bar. It is no coincidence that Moyes was sacked the day after we were mathematically out of contention and I can't be sure but LVG might have saved himself if he managed to make the CL in his second season.
Might add that this modern way of doing things isn't reaping much in the way of rewards as far as I can discern?

Real Madrid still dominating Europe.

Specific examples might help.

Unread 26-05-2018, 06:44 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Well minimum league position rather than certified success maybe, albeit the most important thing I think is always what the future looks like. I wouldn't sack a manager for a dodgy league position or failing to win a trophy if I felt the future was bright.

Mourinho will always focus on the present. Which is why I feel underwhelmed at what the present is. The Mourinho 3-season whirlwind was never a guarantee to leave us in a great state when he leaves; the upside was always supposed to be winning the big trophies. Reversing that now feels hopeful.

I still think we're just a bit of a lost club though, with no ideas beyond the chequebook. That's going to make it tough for any manager.

Quote:
Might add that this modern way of doing things isn't reaping much in the way of rewards as far as I can discern?

Real Madrid still dominating Europe.

Specific examples might help.
Madrid are 4th in La Liga tbf. They've been so poor that Zidane's job isn't secure - in fact its rumoured he's done - despite the CL final.

They are often an exception anyway. When you can have pretty much any player and nobody ever wants to leave it's easier.

Unread 26-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Cream

Quote:
Well minimum league position rather than certified success maybe, albeit the most important thing I think is always what the future looks like. I wouldn't sack a manager for a dodgy league position or failing to win a trophy if I felt the future was bright.

Mourinho will always focus on the present. Which is why I feel underwhelmed at what the present is. The Mourinho 3-season whirlwind was never a guarantee to leave us in a great state when he leaves; the upside was always supposed to be winning the big trophies. Reversing that now feels hopeful.

I still think we're just a bit of a lost club though, with no ideas beyond the chequebook. That's going to make it tough for any manager.

Madrid are 4th in La Liga tbf. They've been so poor that Zidane's job isn't secure - in fact its rumoured he's done - despite the CL final.

They are often an exception anyway. When you can have pretty much any player and nobody ever wants to leave it's easier.
The way I understand it, they can't have any player these days. Something to do with a big loan they're still paying down.

Zidane winning them 3 champions leagues in a row should be enough, but that's Real for you. Disaster!

Meanwhile Pochettino is wowing us with the beautiful game.

Again, where is this modern way of doing things actually working?

Unread 26-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Agree with that, it’s very hard to even remember scintillating football but had any of the post fergie managers achieved it I suspect most of the fan base would have tolerated a season out of the top 4. My guess is most fans wouldn’t have given LVG another season regardless of snatching 4th or not as they couldn’t discern a plan and found the football to be eye watering dogshit, the reverse is also true as plenty of the fan base would bin Mou despite coming 2nd for the same reason.

Quote:

Meanwhile Pochettino is wowing us with the beautiful game.
I don’t really get the Poch hate, I’m not saying he’s the standout candidate but he is clearly over-achieving with a club renowned for shitting themselves and living in the shadow of another shithouse club. They play good football while bringing through young players and spending buttons.

Unread 26-05-2018, 07:46 PM
AK14

Tbf the season spurs and Leicester were going for the championship, Spurs shit out and fnished below arsenal.
Closed Thread