United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Vidic and Clevers back for the dippers.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ed-return.html

Nemanja Vidic and Tom Cleverley set to face Liverpool

Published: Today
Add a comment Add a comment (46)
MANCHESTER UNITED could have Nemanja Vidic AND Tom Cleverley back for Saturday's trip to Anfield.

Red Devils skipper Vidic has not played since limping out of the opening day win at West Brom with a damaged calf.

But the 29-year-old made such good progress with United's coaching staff last week that he forced his way into the Serbian side that lost 1-0 to Slovenia last night.

And that has put the centre-back bang in the frame to return to the United line-up against Liverpool this weekend.

Yet it is the recovery of midfield rookie Cleverley — out since injuring foot ligaments in September's 5-0 win at Bolton — which has really staggered the medical team.

Vidic's absence from the heart of the back four was highlighted when United leaked three home goals to Basel in the recent Champions League draw.

But the availability of Cleverley, 22, is an extra bonus, as he began the season in such red-hot form that he was pushing for an England call-up.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:09 AM
andyroo

Default Re: Vidic and Clevers back for the dippers.

Long as Vidic doesn't take a penalty should we get one...

(Yeah right, United penalty at Anfailed, as if)

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:13 AM
magic_cantona

Clevers being back would be a bigger plus imo.

Having Vidders back would be great, obv, but I think the midfield needs a huge kick up the @#%&!.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:14 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona

Having Vidders back would be great, obv, but I think the midfield needs a huge kick up the @#%&!.
I think we need Vidic' leadership at the back. Could do with Smalling back too to play next to him.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:16 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I think we need Vidic' leadership at the back. Could do with Smalling back too to play next to him.
Hope Smallers makes it.

Should be alright tho.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Too soon for a team thread?

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Hope Smallers makes it.

Should be alright tho.
Back 4 of Jones, Vidic, Smallers and a left back will make us much more solid.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona

Have you seen our defence recently? The midfield concerns are mild in comparison.

Nope, let's not worry about getting back our captain and leading CB, let's concentrate on the midfielder with less than 5 games for United under his belt.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:20 AM
dragflick

Had a dream last nigh that Jones and Cleverley played CM for us at Anfield, Jones scores a cracking opener, but that goofy @#%&! Suarez got two late ones to win it for them. motwyw.

More of a nightmare come to think of it.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:31 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Have you seen our defence recently? The midfield concerns are mild in comparison.

Nope, let's not worry about getting back our captain and leading CB, let's concentrate on the midfielder with less than 5 games for United under his belt.
ffs, don't have a period about it.

I didn't say I didn't want Vidic anywhere near the side, just that if one was fit, I'd rather it be Clevers to go to Anfield.In recent years, we've been bullied and just walked all over in the middle of the park at Anfield.I want to see some energy and desire in the centre of our midfield which, lets face it, is where the game will be won.

Fletch looks two yards off (not his fault, this disease has taken it out of him), Anderson is hit and miss and the same could be said for Carrick.Love Clev to be included.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM
dunk

Hope they both play tbh, but if I had to pick one it would be Vida, despite his history of Anfield nightmares. I suppose he must be due a good 'un there.

Doubt Cleverley will start even if he is fit tbh, 8 weeks or whatever it is without a game and the straight in at Anfield seems a bit much. Bench at Anfield and start him against Otalul or whatever they are called. It's not like he is going to add the much needed 'steel' in there anyway.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Hope they both play tbh, but if I had to pick one it would be Vida, despite his history of Anfield nightmares. I suppose he must be due a good 'un there.

Doubt Cleverley will start even if he is fit tbh, 8 weeks or whatever it is without a game and the straight in at Anfield seems a bit much.
Bench at Anfield and start him against Otalul or whatever they are called. It's not like he is going to add the much needed 'steel' in there anyway.

Maybe.When did he start training again?

Just hope we go there and give a good account of ourselves.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
Too soon for a team thread?
For me? Yeah. Some light discussion here wouldn't be amiss here though.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Mariner to ref. Not good for us that.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Mariner to ref. Not good for us that.
Liverpool 19/10 to win - get on it

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
I'd rather cut your throat.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Vidic red card, as nailed on as a Rooney's dad tip.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Vidic red card, as nailed on as a Rooney's dad tip.
You channeling Fuzzy or summat?

The Return of JC

Quote:
'greed!

We've missed Vidic's influence as much as anything else. I'd love to see him back in there with Jones at RB. If Clevers is fit, get him in there. Even if he's only got an hour in him. I'd be tempted to start with 5 in the middle. Ando and Carrick next to him....tough on Welbeck, but needs must I think.

Unread 12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
'greed!

We've missed Vidic's influence as much as anything else. I'd love to see him back in there with Jones at RB. If Clevers is fit, get him in there. Even if he's only got an hour in him. I'd be tempted to start with 5 in the middle. Ando and Carrick next to him....tough on Welbeck, but needs must I think.
I'd go with that IF Carrick is actually going to protect the back 4 as he is capable of.

If he isn't then he's not worth bothering with and we should just attack the £#%&!ers with chainsaws instead
Closed Thread