Unread 11-10-2011, 06:31 AM
treb

Default Man United’s latest signing: Club spend £8m on snapping up land

http://www.cityam.com/sport/man-unit...-snapping-land

Man United’s latest signing: Club spend £8m on snapping up land

Tuesday 11th October 2011, 12:15am
FOOTBALL
FRANK DALLERES
IT IS not quite the glamour signing that supporters crave, but Manchester United have dipped into their coffers and splashed the cash – on acquiring land around Old Trafford.

The club have paid £8.2m for a one-acre site directly opposite the stadium, an estate of seven industrial units and a 177,000 sq ft warehouse. All were bought from investment and development company SEGRO, which is landlord to 110 businesses in the nearby Trafford Park industrial estate.

United’s move raises the possibility that they could consider redeveloping their 76,000-seater home, which is already the biggest capacity club ground in Britain. However a club spokesperson said there were no immediate plans to use their newly-acquired land.

“The stadium is an iconic asset for the club and we feel it is beneficial to invest in the surrounding area,” said a spokesperson. “If more land becomes available we will assess whether it suits our purposes.”

United chief operating officer Michael Bolingbroke added: “We are delighted to have completed these purchases from SEGRO to further consolidate our ownership of land and buildings around the stadium.”

United also addressed on-field matters yesterday when they confirmed midfielder Tom Cleverley has signed a new four-year contract.

Cleverley, 22, has completed his graduation through the ranks this season, following several loan spells, and broken into Fabio Capello’s England squad.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson hailed the youngster as “one of the brightest prospects in the English game”, adding: “Tom has grabbed his chance with both hands.”

Cleverley, who spent last season on loan at Wigan, injured ligaments in his foot last month but is expected to be back in contention for Saturday’s trip to Liverpool.

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Fountz

Default Re: Man United’s latest signing: Club spend £8m on snapping up land

Quote:
Originally Posted by treb
The club have paid £8.2m for a one-acre site directly opposite the stadium, an estate of seven industrial units and a 177,000 sq ft warehouse.
interesting !! ...but where exactly ?

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM
believe

can it play in a two?

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:07 AM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up Re: Man United’s latest signing: Club spend £8m on snapping up land

moves quicker than carrick

Unread 11-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Crumps

Better investment than that balding Dutch @#%&!.

Unread 11-10-2011, 08:29 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Better investment than that balding Dutch @#%&!.
£#%&! off, Stam was a legend and we made a profit when selling him.

Unread 11-10-2011, 08:31 AM
forzagarza

It's going to be used for a mass grave for anyone who is int he ground without more than £500 of merchandise on them

Unread 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
borsuk

fergie's found the plot again

Unread 11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

arsed, not as if anyone here ever goes.

Unread 11-10-2011, 08:34 AM
The taste of...

Sounds like they are finally gonna redevelop the main stand

over behind the ticket office.

Unread 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
£#%&! off, Stam was a legend and we made a profit when selling him.

Unread 11-10-2011, 09:51 AM
My Name is Keith

Doesn't sound like a mad over the top ransomed price to me but I could be wrong.

Be great to extend the stadium and reduce ticket prices, he said rather stupidly.

Unread 11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Doesn't sound like a mad over the top ransomed price to me but I could be wrong.

Be great to extend the stadium and reduce ticket prices, he said rather stupidly.

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Zorg

Quote:

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:15 AM
My Name is Keith

Nice gif.

The Club have clearly reached a tipping point in ticket prices/demand in my view. Everyone knows how easy it is to get tickets now for most home games so any increase in capacity shouldn't lead to increased prices.

In truth, I can't see them extending the capacity anytime soon and it might be that it was an opportunity purchase for a rainy day. I hope not.

Be surprised if prices didn't pretty much stay static for a bit subject to success and could potentially drop (or not rise with inflation) if we fail to win anything.

Btw the child prices at OT are very reasonable.

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Nice gif.

The Club have clearly reached a tipping point in ticket prices/demand in my view. Everyone knows how easy it is to get tickets now for most home games so any increase in capacity shouldn't lead to increased prices.

In truth, I can't see them extending the capacity anytime soon and it might be that it was an opportunity purchase for a rainy day. I hope not.

Be surprised if prices didn't pretty much stay static for a bit subject to success and could potentially drop (or not rise with inflation) if we fail to win anything.

my school uniform still fits me

i doubt United will drop ticket prices soon, i just don't see it happening... i've become completely and utterly disillusioned with football and despite everyone saying there will be a point where people will refuse to go and pay the prices put forward by the clubs, i don't see it - just more and more rich folk will rock up and absorb the spares and use it as a general entertainment option - i've got a mate who entertains business associates and guests at OT every weekend, yet doesn't have a clue who half the £#%&!ing players are...

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Sloane

Quote:
Nice gif.

not many of them though is there unless you want to sit in north tier 3

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:52 AM
bcred

citeh will be furious. We're gonna build HUGE floodlights.

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
andyroo

More likely they have some horrible Matchday Fanzone Experience in mind to add to the FPP revenues.

Unread 11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Chris Quayd

With the FFP coming in over the next couple of years this is a no-brainer, extra revenue + the cost of extending isn't included in the FFP breakdown. OT is part of the Olympics next year and the rugger bugger WC in 2015 so the summer of 2013 hopefully could see work begin.
Closed Thread