United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Whip Hubley

Football We're going to miss steady eddy VDS more than we missed schmeichel

VDS has brought a level of authority and experience to the role, and in a way schmeichel never did. A role model for the young'uns right across the squad, completely reliable and super calm under pressure. He's also not a bluenosed @#%&!.
I'm a bit worried, although maybe the level of goalkeeping talent out there is higher than 99?

Love that guy.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Ginners

agreed. thought he was superb yesterday. you can tell he gives the back 4 confidence.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:33 PM
antonin jablonsky

We should be looking at Buffon or Cesar as replacement. We won't be, it'll be someone younger and dodgier.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
We should be looking at Buffon or Cesar as replacement. We won't be, it'll be someone younger and dodgier.
Fantastic player, great career, but how many seasons do you think he has left in him? 3 or 4? I'd rather get someone a touch younger, but I have no idea who that might be. Neuer would probably my pick from what i've seen.

VDS retiring at the end of this season will be more detrimental to the team than giggs or scholes retiring, that's how important he is. I'm not saying he's more of a legend before the top reds jump in

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

agree totally, VDS is a class act.

we should be looking at every goalkeeper and choosing from the ones with the best combination of talent and temperament. don't care if they cost 10 million or 10 bob. how much was eddy? £2m?

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
agreed. thought he was superb yesterday. you can tell he gives the back 4 confidence.
It's very rare he isn't superb.

Genuinely don't see why we aren't trying to talk him into staying another season

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Lok

Big test for Fergie and the Glazers this. They can't cheap out and sign some tramp we've never heard of. They have to sign one of the very best and it's almost certainly going to cost >£25m.

Julio Cesar for me. I know he's 31, but he's got a good 5 years left.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Withers

Buffon is only 32/33, problem is he is injury prone these days apparently.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

again, the price of the replacement, assuming it won't be one we already have on the books, is irrelevant.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
Big test for Fergie and the Glazers this. They can't cheap out and sign some tramp we've never heard of.
You'd think that, wouldn't you?

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Buffon is only 32/33, problem is he is injury prone these days apparently.
Shame, I don't see an issue with a keeper in his 30s, as VDS has shown, you can play well into your late 30s at the top level if you look after yourself. I'd prefer that than some skittish 20 year old who doesn't know how to organise a defence, learning on the job.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
again, the price of the replacement, assuming it won't be one we already have on the books, is irrelevant.
Don't think it is to the owners.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:51 PM
dunk

Is Buffon even playing again yet? Had a back op and missed the WC didn't he?

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Don't think it is to the owners.
or to lok

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Is Buffon even playing again yet? Had a back op and missed the WC didn't he?
Played yesterday.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Which is pure bread stupid, considering how dangerous it is not to take the position seriously. How long did it take us post Schmeichel, Arsenal post Seaman etc.

Unread 17-01-2011, 12:59 PM
toseeunited

Thumbs up

i've lost count of the number of times i say "good hands" when watching united with VDS in goal.

yesterday particularly, listening to the commentary i was saying it and expecting gray or tyler to make a comment also (i know, i should know better) but they said nothing. that maybe because they don't expect him to not keep hold of the ball or whatever, but he does the basics with such ease, and getting him back into the side just shows the huge difference he makes compared to the "nerves on edge" feeling i have when PIG is playing

Unread 17-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Zorg

Unread 17-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Unread 17-01-2011, 01:04 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Agreed.

That's why I think we should go for a Buffon or whoever. Really aim high rather than have a Howard V Carroll situation again.
Closed Thread