United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-10-2011, 04:31 PM
forzagarza

Default Re: Man United’s latest signing: Club spend £8m on snapping up land

Just imagine the atmosphere with another 10-20k people in. It would almost be an unfair advantage to the rest of the league.

Unread 11-10-2011, 04:50 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
The North Stand and the East/West Stands were designed by different architects. This is why the quadrants look such a mess, as the stands were built at different angles and couldn't be joined easily. Quite a £#%&! up imo.

Pre takeover, AFL were commissioned to look at renovating the South Stand. The idea was to build a new two tier stand that would have seamlessly joined the East/West Stands. Unfortunately, the Glazers took over and put the kibosh on any such scheme
I don't think the quadrants are that bad Watchers. To the untrained eye I don't think they look like a huge mess, tbf. They perhaps don't look as appealing if you compare them to new soulless stadiums like The Emirates, but I wouldn't swap Old Trafford's history for a bit of perfect symmetry.

As to the second point, when you say AFL were 'commissioned' to look at renovation, does this mean that the club were able to get legal permission to build on that side of the stadium? I've always thought that the railway and residential housing was a huge stumbling block preventing any extension to the South Stand?

Unread 11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Just imagine the atmosphere with another 10-20k people in. It would almost be an unfair advantage to the rest of the league.

Unread 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I don't think the quadrants are that bad Watchers. To the untrained eye I don't think they look like a huge mess, tbf. They perhaps don't look as appealing if you compare them to new soulless stadiums like The Emirates, but I wouldn't swap Old Trafford's history for a bit of perfect symmetry.
The club spent decades redeveloping OT till the point in the early 90s when the ground was perfectly symmetrical, apart from the old Stretford End. That too was then incorporated into the rest of the ground post Hillsborough.

The quadrants are hideous but fortunately, you can't really tell when the seats are filled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
As to the second point, when you say AFL were 'commissioned' to look at renovation, does this mean that the club were able to get legal permission to build on that side of the stadium? I've always thought that the railway and residential housing was a huge stumbling block preventing any extension to the South Stand?
I don't think things ever got to that stage. afaik, once the quadrant work started they were asked to look at the best way of redeveloping the South Stand. Never got much further then that.

Unread 11-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Neo

Fair enough.

I hope one day we do see the South Stand extended, but I agree, its not gonna be done during the Glazer ownership.

£#%&! knows what this new bit of land is for; probably for a shiny, new 24-hour Mega-MegaStore Mall or something.

If we do ever extend then we should hire this bloke.

Closed Thread