ericseyebrows

Default Re: Ok, deep breath: please, please buy my new (United-related) book

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
how many have they printed?
Few thousand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Ordered from Amazon xmas read will review.
Ta, appreciated - don't be shy about giving me stick if you hate it.

Unread 22-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Sparky***

Had a spare hour so I popped into waterstones in notting hill gate and read the first quarter of it.

Bent the corner of the page back and put it back on the shelf. I'll finish it on Friday.

Unread 22-12-2010, 12:26 PM
ericseyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Had a spare hour so I popped into waterstones in notting hill gate and read the first quarter of it.

Bent the corner of the page back and put it back on the shelf. I'll finish it on Friday.
Arf!

Unread 22-12-2010, 01:20 PM
johnfuego

Went in Foyle's in Westfield. The stock was decimated in there. Except for one book in particular....

Unread 11-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Dr Gonzo

Got it at the tail-end of last week and just finished reading it.

You have a good turn-of -phrase : my favourite was 'walking in the valley of the shadow of debt'

Highly recommended to all Fredsters as well as Lionheart JT

Unread 17-01-2011, 10:40 AM
ericseyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo
Got it at the tail-end of last week and just finished reading it.

You have a good turn-of -phrase : my favourite was 'walking in the valley of the shadow of debt'

Highly recommended to all Fredsters as well as Lionheart JT

Ta for that, much appreciated.

Unread 17-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Cream

'in the midst of life we are in debt et cetera'

this guy is blatantly ripping of Morrissey.

I didn't read it but I hated it.

0/10.

Unread 17-01-2011, 10:54 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem

0/10.

Unread 19-01-2011, 09:44 AM
ericseyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem

0/10.
Arf. Morrissey would love me to rip him.

Unread 19-01-2011, 11:39 AM
ReligiousRed

This is next to my bog for throne time reading ( that’s not a bad thing )

Honest opinion ........ Don’t be offended it’s just my view.

It’s not what I thought it would be in all honesty. I thought it was going to be completely about the bantz and gooning at away games, the piss ups, the sing songs and the mischief one might witness be involved in or even (Reddles) instigate It’s not.

It’s probably too political for me, very anti glazer and all that which don’t get me wrong, I appreciate and completely agree with but, as I said above it wasn’t what I thought the book was about, I can read all that stuff everyday on numerous sites and papers if I wanted to. When I seen it was about on the road with Manchester united from an away fans view I had very different thoughts obviously on what that would be about.

Its opinionated, not necessarily a bad thing but with opinions come difference, I agree with a lot of your thoughts on certain players and from memory their performances in certain games but the next man might completely disagree and think you’re a nob, I think it borders on what you say is what is right, which is a dangerous but, I give you the benefit of the doubt that you don’t mean it to be that way.

Negatives = not enough about the bantz of an away day, bit too political (IMO) sometimes the account of the day gets sidetracked by other stuff and it ends up being one paragraph about the game and a page and half about something that’s essentially nothing to do with that game.

Positives =

only kidding, I’m still reading it so that’s a good thing, it’s different and its interesting, good to remember some of the matches and times around them and when its mentioned, its good hearing what others were up to on the same trip you were on

Hope that doesn’t seem negative because it’s not, I would definitely recommend the book to others mate

Unread 25-01-2011, 11:09 AM
ericseyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligiousRed
This is next to my bog for throne time reading ( that’s not a bad thing )

Honest opinion ........ Don’t be offended it’s just my view.

It’s not what I thought it would be in all honesty. I thought it was going to be completely about the bantz and gooning at away games, the piss ups, the sing songs and the mischief one might witness be involved in or even (Reddles) instigate It’s not.

It’s probably too political for me, very anti glazer and all that which don’t get me wrong, I appreciate and completely agree with but, as I said above it wasn’t what I thought the book was about, I can read all that stuff everyday on numerous sites and papers if I wanted to. When I seen it was about on the road with Manchester united from an away fans view I had very different thoughts obviously on what that would be about.

Its opinionated, not necessarily a bad thing but with opinions come difference, I agree with a lot of your thoughts on certain players and from memory their performances in certain games but the next man might completely disagree and think you’re a nob, I think it borders on what you say is what is right, which is a dangerous but, I give you the benefit of the doubt that you don’t mean it to be that way.

Negatives = not enough about the bantz of an away day, bit too political (IMO) sometimes the account of the day gets sidetracked by other stuff and it ends up being one paragraph about the game and a page and half about something that’s essentially nothing to do with that game.

Positives =

only kidding, I’m still reading it so that’s a good thing, it’s different and its interesting, good to remember some of the matches and times around them and when its mentioned, its good hearing what others were up to on the same trip you were on

Hope that doesn’t seem negative because it’s not, I would definitely recommend the book to others mate
Nay bother - appreciate your buying, and your crit. The reason it's not tales from the game - we got drunk here, stoned there kind of thing - is that it's just not really my interest. I'm not arsed to see my own holiday snaps, let alone someone else's, so wanted to try and write about football and the game in a slightly different way.

Similarly, I didn't always want to write too much about the game - in terms of a season, the games are often but a constituent part, and their detail isn't important. Also, I was filing my piece on a Friday, so a fair amount of what there was to say about any particular game, in terms of what happened on the pitch, had been said in infiniticate elsewhere, so I was trying to look at themes and thoughts, rather than describe action we'd all seen and read about plenty already.

Obviously no one is going to agree with all my opinions - sheeet, I don't agree with em all myself. And especially given that I was writing on a week-by-week basis, there are plenty of reactions in there that given a little more time to reflect, might have been less severe. Might.

As for the politics, I didn't intend to write much about it. There's some detail at the start, because it was necessary, but the only reason it's discussed later on is because of the g&g - it would have been ridiculous not to have discussed it, given how integral it was to the season. Also, it was an opportunity to get the club's situation read about, which seemed important at the time. I tried to talk about stuff in a way that was different from what you'd read elsewhere, but if you didn't find that, fair enough.

Anyway, ta again.
Closed Thread