United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Stickman

Default Re: We're going to miss steady eddy VDS more than we missed schmeichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He wasn't ready to be in the side when he was at City. Despite a few good results, he was hopeless dealing with crosses and not much better with the ball at his feet. He's improved a great deal from what I've seen. I think he could make it in the Premier League. He could be there as early as next season after all. He's going to be a long way off his dad though.
His clean sheet against us at the start of 07-08 has to be one of the spawniest clean sheets ive ever seen. He let a couple of corners bounce in his 6 yard box ffs.

Unread 21-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Zorg

Can't help but feel that big Peter has taken a battering on this thread.

Let's not forget he was the best keeper in history, certainly United's history - he won absolutely everything there was to win, and a large part of Fergie's success was based on the complete confidence that spread throughout the team from knowing they had the world's greatest keeper behind them.

Can't believe someone said he was a bottler (unless i've been wooshed of course).

Unread 21-01-2011, 09:54 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

Let's not forget he was the best keeper in history, certainly United's history - he won absolutely everything there was to win, and a large part of Fergie's success was based on the complete confidence that spread throughout the team from knowing they had the world's greatest keeper behind them.

Can't believe someone said he was a bottler (unless i've been wooshed of course).
agree with all this. as i said i think schmeichel was probably a better keeper than vds, though there's not much in it, but that vds is better suited to the kind of game we play now (ability with his feet and inhuman concentration levels). schmeichel had presence though, forwards were scared shitless of him at times.

Unread 21-01-2011, 12:06 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
schmeichel had presence though, forwards were scared shitless of him at times.
So was Gary Neville!

Unread 21-01-2011, 02:32 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Yeah, can't help thinking "Top Red Syndrome" is at work here, just a bit

He was, indeed, a #@&%! for a few minutes whilst at Man City - live with it (and doesn't he still support us??)

It doesn't remotely equate to Ince's treachery, for instance

Unread 21-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

agreed. he was a tremendous keeper and an incredible presence, for us and against the opposition

i'm serious when I said he was a bottler btw, though I did say "a bit of a bottler". I always had the feeling there was a mistake in him in the biggest matches, and I also think a lot of his daftest tantrums were more distracting than motivational. United got away with the keeper making the odd mistake of course because they were superb all over the pitch and the spirit of playing for each other even if you don't like them has always been fantastic under ferguson.

the idea that this pov is somehow top red is just too top red for me i'm afraid. that fowler FK at anfield is a classic example of what I'm on about. in the run-in that season everyone remembers the brilliant saves schmeichel made from ferdinand and rob lee at newcastle. but who remembers him coming for that cross in the last minute at home to coventry? who remembers the third goal at southampton? in 99 everyone remembers the star jump to stop zamorano and the penalty save. but who remembers the the 2-2 goal in munich?

anyway, schmeichel deserves the myth of invincibility. he was a fantastic goalkeeper for united. by his own admission you could've put a dustbin in goal behind that team and still won most of the games. but he kept himself in the game and was usually ready one v one, which was his biggest strength.

Unread 21-01-2011, 03:13 PM
red in cumbria

Throbbers, the "Top Redness" refers to those who have decided to hate him because he played for city. And once celebrated a tad over-exuberantly when they beat us

Unread 21-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Ethers

Great keeper, but not as good as Schmeichel, either in goal or at contributing to our attacking play. Which is a part of Schmeichel's game that lots of people in this thread seem to have completely forgotten about.

Unread 21-01-2011, 03:32 PM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up Re: We're going to miss steady eddy VDS more than we missed schmeichel

I don't think Schmeichel was a bottler, was always bit of a shouty #@&%! though.

I remember being outraged when he did his celebration thing but I'll let it slide, Andy Cole played for em too and he remains an all-time hero.

Mark Hughes can £#%&! off though. @#%&!.

oh and fwiw, I think VDS is every bit as valuable to United and easily a good a keeper as Schmeichel ever was.

Unread 21-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Throbbers, the "Top Redness" refers to those who have decided to hate him because he played for city. And once celebrated a tad over-exuberantly when they beat us
some people really £#%&!ing hate city and expect the players to represent the fans on the pitch. that day schmeichel clearly represented the city fans, and it £#%&!ed a lot of people off. not me though, i wasn't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I don't think Schmeichel was a bottler, was always bit of a shouty #@&%! though.

I remember being outraged when he did his celebration thing but I'll let it slide, Andy Cole played for em too and he remains an all-time hero.

Mark Hughes can £#%&! off though. @#%&!.

oh and fwiw, I think VDS is every bit as valuable to United and easily a good a keeper as Schmeichel ever was.
okay i take it back, bottler is way over the top. he was prone to a bit of unnecessary panic at times.

Unread 21-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
okay i take it back, bottler is way over the top. he was prone to a bit of unnecessary panic at times.
I'd agree with that. A lot more shouty and jumpy than the ice-cool VDS.
As you say, 'bottler' is going ott - don't forget his tremendous performances for Denmark in 1992, a big part of them winning that tournament. He definitely was more prone to keeper spaz attacks than VDS, I agree - remember Charlton at home in the FA Cup when he came steaming out, fouled the bloke, handballed it and you could see Steve Bruce saying 'What the £#%&! are you doing?'

But all in all he was just fantastic, and I've never seen another keeper providing such a seemingly impenetrable brick wall whilst also making spectacular agile saves. His wild celebration in a city shirt pissed me off too but it has nothing to do with his ability.

Unread 21-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He wasn't ready to be in the side when he was at City. Despite a few good results, he was hopeless dealing with crosses and not much better with the ball at his feet. He's improved a great deal from what I've seen. I think he could make it in the Premier League. He could be there as early as next season after all. He's going to be a long way off his dad though.

Can't say I ever saw his Dad play though, so i'll bow to your judgement.

Unread 21-01-2011, 04:46 PM
red @rmy

Cool Re: We're going to miss steady eddy VDS more than we missed schmeichel

Closed Thread