good man

we need a bit of momentum to get more on board though

someone get it up on RI

Unread 12-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Zorg

Default Re: Green & Gold - the next stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i remember the start of fc and, honestly, the coverage was nothing like today, nor was the consciousness-raising in football as a whole. that's because of a lot of things, not least the fact that debt and other problems have come to the fore in england outside of our club. fc's creation wasn't even noticed by 90% of football fans outside of manchester
I'd say I'd agree the coverage wasn't as widespread as now, but I don't agree it was 'nothing like'. There were several double-page spreads in national newspapers and features on national TV and radio. Not to mention Italian, French and German tv documentaries. Apart from that, a lot simpler - we told people about it! How many fans know about AFC Wimbledon? Virtually all of them, I'd say. FC United are as known about as AFC Wimbledon and in any case, like I say, it's a long-term project. In my experience the fans who've never heard of FC are like that clueless woman at the Emirates. The ones who have tend to be match-going fans - in my experience like I say.

The debt problems, meanwhile, came to the fore years ago. Bury, Stockport, Wimbledon, Leeds - what about Leeds! - all of these were stories long before 2010. To me this recent load of worry about it is a second or even third wave, not the first.

Quote:
and - imo - solutions won't be found in one club or one town, they'll be institutional at the level of the governing bodies. maybe that's where we differ most fundamentally.
Well, not really, because that's central to FC too. Trying to effect change in the whole approach to running football clubs. They might be small, but putting pressure on governing bodies is part of the ethos. We have strong links with other supporter-run clubs, and in this respect it's not a one-club or one-town thing.

Quote:
but i think there is a lot of self-indulgence about singing anti-glazer songs at gigg lane where, in all honesty, the glazers would probably like to see the rest of the protesters at ot.
Not sure what you mean there?

I know this is controversial but you could just as easily argue there's self-indulgence in singing anti-Glazer songs when you've given him £35.

Quote:
that's fine, but it's not going to be premier league or champions league football. that is non-league and (maybe) lower league football and it's got a lot going for it. but don't kid yourself that it would be anything like the manchester united we've known all our lives.
Eh . You never know, league football might arrive one day, but tbh most FC fans would be happy back in the North-West Counties. It was an absolute blast. Why you would imagine I'm 'kidding myself it would be like the manchester united we've known all our lives', I have no idea. It's great fun, I can confirm that. But no-one at FC pretends we'll be playing in the Nou Camp in 10 years.

Call it mental, but I would love there to be a situation where MUFC and FCUM co-exist, maybe even with strong ties between them. It could be magnificent, and it would yet another first for Manchester.

Quote:
but none of that has anything to do with rippling the glazer's consciousness it's all well and good but i don't think the glazers have paid the slightest bit of attention to fc or anything they or their fans have done, are doing or will do in the future. a couple of players, maybe, fergie a touch. but not the glazers.
Ok point taken, but do you think they'll pay attention to different coloured scarves if it all fizzles out and goes nowhere?

Anyway, as someone on RI put it, 'Its somewhere to go to continue the feeling of the green and gold protests and get into the anti Glazer spirit'.

I think some on this thread have just completely missed the fact that United have no game this weekend and thought 'they're trying to brainwash us all!!'.

Quote:
like i said, for me the best solution would be for non-fc united fans to go to gigg lane and for fc fans to go to ot next time. refusing to take part in protests that are visible and effective and growing strikes me as cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Refusing? This is strange, because recently you've said there is more than one form of valid protest. If that's the case, then why are we at FC suddenly required to abandon ours completely to join another - one that we have to pay through the nose for? We've worked hard to build up a sustainable club. Now you're suggesting we should let it fold to give money to the Glazers again? This is sounding crazier by the minute.

We'll never agree on this fully tbh, but suffice it to say I respect these protests and support them fully. Fingers crossed they'll lead somewhere worthwhile.

Unread 13-02-2010, 12:34 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I'd say I'd agree the coverage wasn't as widespread as now, but I don't agree it was 'nothing like'. There were several double-page spreads in national newspapers and features on national TV and radio. Not to mention Italian, French and German tv documentaries. Apart from that, a lot simpler - we told people about it! How many fans know about AFC Wimbledon? Virtually all of them, I'd say. FC United are as known about as AFC Wimbledon and in any case, like I say, it's a long-term project. In my experience the fans who've never heard of FC are like that clueless woman at the Emirates. The ones who have tend to be match-going fans - in my experience like I say.
ok, we'll agree to differ on that one. i'm not belittling fc in any way but i don't think it created any real pressure - more a weekend interest story, quickly forgotten. but maybe i'm being unfair, i am watching from a distance after all.

Quote:
The debt problems, meanwhile, came to the fore years ago. Bury, Stockport, Wimbledon, Leeds - what about Leeds! - all of these were stories long before 2010. To me this recent load of worry about it is a second or even third wave, not the first.
well that's true. rightly or wrongly, leeds are generally seen as victims of their own avarice, rather than £#%&!ed up by somebody from outside. but i take the point, debt is not new. it's a lot bigger now, however, and goes hand in hand with the ever greater disconnect between the clubs and the fans (arab/russian owners, no english players, teams moving cities etc).

Quote:
Well, not really, because that's central to FC too. Trying to effect change in the whole approach to running football clubs. They might be small, but putting pressure on governing bodies is part of the ethos. We have strong links with other supporter-run clubs, and in this respect it's not a one-club or one-town thing.
fair enough, but i still think changes need to be at the governing level, not at individual clubs.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean there?

I know this is controversial but you could just as easily argue there's self-indulgence in singing anti-Glazer songs when you've given him £35.
you could, of course. and i think there's a lot of that about - you might as well get your newton heath shirt from the mega@#%&!.

btw, what i meant was that visible protests inside and around ot - hopefully ever more visible - are an uncomfortable sight for the glazers and can create pressure. with the best will in the world i don't think any protest at gigg lane does that.

Quote:
Eh . You never know, league football might arrive one day, but tbh most FC fans would be happy back in the North-West Counties. It was an absolute blast. Why you would imagine I'm 'kidding myself it would be like the manchester united we've known all our lives', I have no idea. It's great fun, I can confirm that. But no-one at FC pretends we'll be playing in the Nou Camp in 10 years.
the comment was in response to you saying you'd like to see 'fan-owned football teams'. we all would, but it's a pipe dream as far as top-flight teams go. manchester united will never be fan-owned, i'm afraid.

Quote:
Call it mental, but I would love there to be a situation where MUFC and FCUM co-exist, maybe even with strong ties between them. It could be magnificent, and it would yet another first for Manchester.
absolutely.

Quote:
Ok point taken, but do you think they'll pay attention to different coloured scarves if it all fizzles out and goes nowhere?
well, obviously not. but anything that fizzles out won't get their attention by definition.

Quote:
Anyway, as someone on RI put it, 'Its somewhere to go to continue the feeling of the green and gold protests and get into the anti Glazer spirit'.

I think some on this thread have just completely missed the fact that United have no game this weekend and thought 'they're trying to brainwash us all!!'.
i get where you're coming from, as i said.

Quote:
Refusing? This is strange, because recently you've said there is more than one form of valid protest. If that's the case, then why are we at FC suddenly required to abandon ours completely to join another - one that we have to pay through the nose for? We've worked hard to build up a sustainable club. Now you're suggesting we should let it fold to give money to the Glazers again? This is sounding crazier by the minute.
not at all. where did i say it should fold? i wish fc all the best, i hope it grows and sends down deeper and deeper roots. i just think that the g&g protests are the most effective protests atm and need to build momentum. the fcers could really help with that - if they are willing to. are they? or is 'not one penny' more important than doing something that appears to be having an effect? because, honestly, i think you could stay away from ot from now until kingdom come and sing all the songs at gigg lane you like and it won't make a blind bit of difference, apart from weakening the anti-glazer voice at ot.

Quote:
We'll never agree on this fully tbh, but suffice it to say I respect these protests and support them fully. Fingers crossed they'll lead somewhere worthwhile.

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Manchester

Quote:
As for the next stage, I still think a mass one-match boycott can and should be organised. With the publicity in recent weeks, combined with more of the same (leafleting etc.), I believe even the most clueless of plastic £#%&!wit can be persuaded to stay outside the ground protesting rather than going in. Even if less than half the 70,000 do it, it's still a lot and the media have proven recently that they would report it. The Glazers and Gill would cack themselves at such commitment.
I agree with this, we've got to arrange a protest with no United fans entering OT. Either just don't turn up, or the best would be for everyone to turn up and protest outside the ground.

Remaining home fixtures where it could take place:
Tuesday, 23 February 2010 - Man Utd v West Ham, 20:00
Sunday, 14 March 2010 - Man Utd v Fulham, 13:30
Sunday, 21 March 2010 - Man Utd v Liverpool, 13:30
Saturday, 3 April 2010 - Man Utd v Chelsea, 15:00
Saturday, 24 April 2010 - Man Utd v Tottenham, 15:00
Sunday, 9 May 2010 - Man Utd v Stoke, 15:00

Not going to happen against Chelsea, the scousers or the last game. So that only leaves 3 possible games to arrange this for.

No reason why it can't happen, even with 20,000 people inside the ground, it would have a massive affect on the cause.

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:06 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
I agree with this, we've got to arrange a protest with no United fans entering OT. Either just don't turn up, or the best would be for everyone to turn up and protest outside the ground.

Remaining home fixtures where it could take place:
Tuesday, 23 February 2010 - Man Utd v West Ham, 20:00
[SIZE="4"]Sunday, 14 March 2010 - Man Utd v Fulham, 13:30 its on sky
Sunday, 21 March 2010 - Man Utd v Liverpool, 13:30
Saturday, 3 April 2010 - Man Utd v Chelsea, 15:00
Saturday, 24 April 2010 - Man Utd v Tottenham, 15:00
Sunday, 9 May 2010 - Man Utd v Stoke, 15:00

Not going to happen against Chelsea, the scousers or the last game. So that only leaves 3 possible games to arrange this for.

No reason why it can't happen, even with 20,000 people inside the ground, it would have a massive affect on the cause.
nft.....

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:17 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Count me in for the boycott against Fulham, it is one of the few things that will make the @#%&!s sit up and take notice.
Ive just had a brilliant idea! Why don't we all boycott the CC final. I'd be well up for that!

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:25 PM
42ndstreet irregular

Quote:

Where is the protest tomorrow? What's happening? Are the same thousands of people who would have been OT had United been playing in the cup going to OT to protest outside the ground?
There was a planned demo outside Carrington. I don't know if any turned up or not though. Wont be many if they did I imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
I'm washing my hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
so to summarise this thread, :
  • boycott is the only way to get rid of the glazers
  • a boycott isn't realistic and won't work anyway
  • don't buy pies inside the ground
  • buy a pie if you like, doesn't make any difference
  • green and gold campaign hasn't done anything
  • green and gold campaign has achieved much and is well on course

glad to clear that up
I don't agree with that.
Spot on mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf!
Whatever happened to the Popular Front?
He's over there -->
SPLITTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Count me in for the boycott against Fulham, it is one of the few things taht will make the @#%&!s sit uo and take notice.
Ive just had a brilliant idea! Why don't we all boycott the CC final. I'd be well up for that!
Can you imagine the fury of the city fans if instead of making it a Glazer protest we just said we couldn't be arsed going because it's a shit cup.

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:30 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet irregular
Can you imagine the fury of the city fans if instead of making it a Glazer protest we just said we couldn't be arsed going because it's a shit cup.
It would be mega wouldn't it, and of course it has nothing to do with me being chubbed, nothing what so ever.

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Kent Brockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
so nobody is boycotting the fulham game then
I've booked flights to take my 12yo nephew to Fulham, his first United game. Do you want to phone him and break the news to him that we're boycotting, you heartless bastard?

What about the Milan match? Would get us Europe-wide attention and I'm not going anyway, so it would be win-win.

Unread 13-02-2010, 01:42 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Brockman
I've booked flights to take my 12yo nephew to Fulham, his first United game. Do you want to phone him and break the news to him that we're boycotting, you heartless bastard?

What about the Milan match? Would get us Europe-wide attention and I'm not going anyway, so it would be win-win.
in years to come, he'll remember the day when 20,000 stood outside calling for Glazers head on a plate...and he was part of it...he'll thank you for it

Unread 13-02-2010, 02:18 PM
elephantstone

Id boycott fulham as well

Unread 13-02-2010, 02:28 PM
wonky no

seal up the gates with silicone.

doesn't have to be green&gold silicone either

Unread 13-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Whip Hubley

If a boycott is in the pipeline , Fulham is by the far the best option

Unread 13-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Does anyone believe a boycott will work 'this time' there seems to be alot more support but i fear Julian and Martha from Kent have bought a G+G scarf but wont miss Kick off "go team manchhhhessster"

The scarf is cool Martha

yea Jules its cool.....

We made the guardian...

shush here comes Rooooonster...

GOooooo team.

(3000 of us outside chanting)

Unread 13-02-2010, 05:32 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
so to summarise this thread, :
  • boycott is the only way to get rid of the glazers
  • a boycott isn't realistic and won't work anyway
  • don't buy pies inside the ground
  • buy a pie if you like, doesn't make any difference
  • green and gold campaign hasn't done anything
  • green and gold campaign has achieved much and is well on course

glad to clear that up
don't forget to add that we'll only boycott when we play someone shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Blazini
He was giving him driving lessons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
so nobody is boycotting the fulham game then