United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 10-05-2018, 10:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It doesn't look good but at the same time Sanchez has been playing year round for years now, full club seasons, then international tournaments. Not so this Summer, if he is going to get back to somewhere near his best then next season is the chance.

Martial was playing better than Sanchez has in the weeks leading up to his arrival though. Plenty of reasons to criticize Martial but he was finally building some momentum and that has been thrown away.

Sanchez does have a Rooney like tendency to chase the ball, ends up picking the ball up far too deep, looks like he is working hard but it is not helping the team and directly contributes to Utd being pedestrian on the break.
Yep, he's been overloaded. Chile kept winning the Copa America and qualifying for the Confed Cup, which didn't help. Signs of burnout for a few of that generation apparently. The rest this summer is long overdue and you have to think it will refresh him.

Always a risk signing a player in his 30th year in his position and with his style, though.

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:02 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
It doesn't look good but at the same time Sanchez has been playing year round for years now, full club seasons, then international tournaments. Not so this Summer, if he is going to get back to somewhere near his best then next season is the chance.

Martial was playing better than Sanchez has in the weeks leading up to his arrival though. Plenty of reasons to criticize Martial but he was finally building some momentum and that has been thrown away.

Sanchez does have a Rooney like tendency to chase the ball, ends up picking the ball up far too deep, looks like he is working hard but it is not helping the team and directly contributes to Utd being pedestrian on the break.
Agree with most of that.

I don't personally care for Martial tbh and won't be that fussed to see him go in the Summer (so long as he's replaced).

Goals are becoming a problem for this squad tbh. If Rashford isn't the answer as a number 9 (atm) if/when Lukaku doesn't play then United need to sign another striker this Summer. They have to. I had no £#%&!ing idea where the goals were going to come from tonight and whenever someone pulled the ball back or across the box there was no fecker in there.

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Vedder

Jones tripping over

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Almost faceplants.

Such a £#%&!ing calamity.

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:13 PM
AK14

Quote:
Ffs

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Agree with most of that.

I don't personally care for Martial tbh and won't be that fussed to see him go in the Summer (so long as he's replaced).

Goals are becoming a problem for this squad tbh. If Rashford isn't the answer as a number 9 (atm) if/when Lukaku doesn't play then United need to sign another striker this Summer. They have to. I had no f***ing idea where the goals were going to come from tonight and whenever someone pulled the ball back or across the box there was no fecker in there.
Mou will only rotate Lukaku if he is injured. Hard for any striker to just come in and be successful in their handful of games in that situation. The whole team has been conditioned to play to Lukaku, suddenly you have a new man in that role. Mou whining about Rashford and Martial after Brighton is like a self fulfilling prophecy, he really should have played Rashford through the middle again tonight, rest one of the defenders, maybe Smalling who was shit tonight.

Mou rarely subs Lukaku even when the game is won. Fergie used to take Cole and Yorke off when they were on a hat-trick to make sure Ole and Sheringham were ready to go when needed.

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Ffs

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Switching Off

Quote:

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Whalefish

If the whole team has been conditioned to play to Lukaku and to his strengths it just underlines how bad the players in wide positions have been and some of the midfield play. Overall I think the service he's had this season has been shocking.

I have got no problem with Mou whining about Rashford or Martial vs Brighton, both were absolute gash.

I suspect 5 at the back played tonight because it'll be a similar set up vs Chelsea in the Cup Final (as they also play that system and JM has already said this season when teams do play 5-3-2 that's what he does). Sunday will be a piss around on the pitch.

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:23 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:

why doesn't he put his hands out to break his fall?

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Pop

That man is the living physical embodiment of a belm

Unread 10-05-2018, 11:59 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

and risk damaging his hands?

Unread 11-05-2018, 12:11 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Mou will only rotate Lukaku if he is injured. Hard for any striker to just come in and be successful in their handful of games in that situation. The whole team has been conditioned to play to Lukaku, suddenly you have a new man in that role. Mou whining about Rashford and Martial after Brighton is like a self fulfilling prophecy, he really should have played Rashford through the middle again tonight, rest one of the defenders, maybe Smalling who was shit tonight.

Mou rarely subs Lukaku even when the game is won. Fergie used to take Cole and Yorke off when they were on a hat-trick to make sure Ole and Sheringham were ready to go when needed.
We don't play to Lukaku though, the service is shocking, everybody looks at Lukaku and thinks 6' 4" we need to be lumping it in for him to head it, that's never been his game and we're shit at crossing anyway.

The uncomfortable truth is that we just aren't good going forward, we're too slow to get the ball forward and our wide options are shithouse Valencia on the right and Sanchez sort of on the left but not really.

With Lukaku, Martial and Rashford available we should get the ball, take 3 touches max and then slide a ball behind the defence and let them outrun people, or if they're sat deep let Martial or Rashford run at the defence without having to go through the midfield too, instead we always give them ample time to set up in two banks of 4 with no gaps and have to try to thread the needle. It's balls.

Unread 11-05-2018, 12:55 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

His brain doesn’t work that quick

Unread 11-05-2018, 02:16 AM
Shade

Do United get a trophy for finishing 2nd?

Unread 11-05-2018, 04:50 AM
shenwen

Horrible, cynical, get a point performance.

Against West Ham.

Rashford comes on. Great. At least we now have someone up front. Go for it for the last 20.

Yeah, maybe not.

Unread 11-05-2018, 05:26 AM
Barcabal

I in my haste said go for Sanchez when he was available.

But he was was surplus to requirements at Barcelona, Won £#%&! all at Arsenal but scored a few worldys.. I hope he comes good.. but Surplus to requirements to an international rival is not good enough.

Unread 11-05-2018, 06:23 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
Do United get a trophy for finishing 2nd?
the Scousers would have.

Unread 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
We don't play to Lukaku though, the service is shocking, everybody looks at Lukaku and thinks 6' 4" we need to be lumping it in for him to head it, that's never been his game and we're shit at crossing anyway.

The uncomfortable truth is that we just aren't good going forward, we're too slow to get the ball forward and our wide options are shithouse Valencia on the right and Sanchez sort of on the left but not really.

With Lukaku, Martial and Rashford available we should get the ball, take 3 touches max and then slide a ball behind the defence and let them outrun people, or if they're sat deep let Martial or Rashford run at the defence without having to go through the midfield too, instead we always give them ample time to set up in two banks of 4 with no gaps and have to try to thread the needle. It's balls.
well, you can say it's poor coaching or you can say "ffs, smalling". you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcabal
I in my haste said go for Sanchez when he was available.

But he was was surplus to requirements at Barcelona, Won £#%&! all at Arsenal but scored a few worldys.. I hope he comes good.. but Surplus to requirements to an international rival is not good enough.

Unread 11-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Red Santos

We miss a Keane, Scholes, Carrick type of midfielder

Someone who can control and dictate the midfield with a good range of passing and can see an early pass

Current bunch guilty of taking too many touches of the ball. Everything is bogged down