United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Tiberian

Default Did Cantona retire too early?

This whole Beckham extravaganza brought his exit back to mind. Considering he was 31, the same age as Beckham is now and a lot of people think that going the US is wasting his ability.

You could also look at Giggs and Scholes, 33 and 32, maybe not what they were but still top class footballers contributing in a team pushing for trophies.

Cantona had just had an average season by his standards, but is still came out of nowhere. Probably perfectly suited to his character, but he could still have been a valuable player with his football brain and influence.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:43 PM
El Calafate

no. nft.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:43 PM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
This whole Beckham extravaganza brought his exit back to mind. Considering he was 31, the same age as Beckham is now and a lot of people think that going the US is wasting his ability.

You could also look at Giggs and Scholes, 33 and 32, maybe not what they were but still top class footballers contributing in a team pushing for trophies.

Cantona had just had an average season by his standards, but is still came out of nowhere. Probably perfectly suited to his character, but he could still have been a valuable player with his football brain and influence.
His timing was perfect, he wasn't performing as we know he could and decided he would go out at the top.
Best way in my opinion

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Grimson

He was older than 31 in football years. Not the fittest by then.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Tropical

Default There's only one opinion

Quote:
Did Cantona retire too early?
that mattered on that, or ever will.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
borsuk

Default the man had style

and any other exit would have been worse

i like my memories, and i'm glad i don't have to be selective with eric.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He was older than 31 in football years.
How long is a football year exactly Grimson. made me laugh that did. Is it like dog years or something? He was pretty spritely for a 248 year-old

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
How long is a football year exactly Grimson. made me laugh that did. Is it like dog years or something? He was pretty spritely for a 248 year-old

You know what I mean. Some players at 31 are still playing like they're 25. Teddy was one. Eric probably wasn't the keenest on strength training, diet, etc.

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
and any other exit would have been worse

i like my memories, and i'm glad i don't have to be selective with eric.
Would you have liked Giggs and Scholes to have retired by now as well?

As for his fitness, was there not a "lowest body fat in the league" stat about Cantona?

He has an average season, still remember the semi-final against Dortmund when he looked a shadow of himself, missing chances and being off the pace, but others have shown that it is possible to come back.

His decision in the end of course, if he had lost the will to play then he was right to retire.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:01 PM
£#%&! KFC

yes and no

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Father Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
that mattered on that, or ever will.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

You know what I mean. Some players at 31 are still playing like they're 25. Teddy was one. Eric probably wasn't the keenest on strength training, diet, etc.
Yeah he couldn't be bothered to fight it any more could he. Wanted to enjoy the good things in life again

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:03 PM
dodger

I think he went too early. To go back to the Scholes analogy; Scholes could have retired at the end of last season saying he wasn't putting the performances in. Not many would have argued either. Now look at the football he's playing though, it would have bene a huge waste if he'd retired last season. Just like it was a waste for Cantona.

I'm not saying he should have done it differently, he should please himself, but he did retire too early and he could have contributed a lot if he'd stayed.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Would you have liked Giggs and Scholes to have retired by now as well?
no. i'm not suggesting he should have retired, just that his career was superb, and i don't regret anything about it. no need for what ifs.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
redwhiteandblack

He went at the right time.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Christmas
I assume Trop means Eric's opinion was the only one that mattered.

But you see, you can't quote Trop or borsuk, because of their habit of typing the first part of the post in the subject line, in a contrived attempt to add gravitas.

It's the equivalent of fiction writers using "he said" to introduce a dramatic pause, i.e.:

"It's not my fish," he said. "It never was, and it never will be."

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Tropical

Default So you're the one

who's got my fish, you sonofabitch.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Saxon

No. Went out at the top untarnished.

Would probably have gone on to be be labeled a '@#%&!' by some of the divs on RI.

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
£#%&! KFC

useless French @#%&! cost us the 1997 European Cup with all them sitters against Dortmund...should've stayed at Lids

Unread 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Saxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
useless French @#%&! cost us the 1997 European Cup with all them sitters against Dortmund...should've stayed at Lids
*ba-dum tish*
Closed Thread