United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Main > Main Forum
Closed Thread

Old 31-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Spock

Default cricket

good effort again today. can someone tell me (whaley or antonin perhaps?) why shah does not get a look in in tests? is he not capable enough in the long version or what, seems to cut the mustard in the one day stuff?

Old 31-08-2008, 06:51 PM
thatsfuctit

dunno - some people just seem to be more suited to the shorter formats of the game - some make the adjustment given some time, Andrew Symonds was considered not a test player for sometime, but was given a chance and has made a pretty good fist of it.

Old 31-08-2008, 07:00 PM
borsuk

england have become quite loathe to select outside of the existing squad imo - hence foster not getting a look in and colly seemingly guaranteed a place for life. maybe that has changed with the change in skipper. patel and shah are both putting pressure on the selectors for a chance in the test side. strauss (and maybe colly) should be worried.

fantastic to see freddie batting like a genuine no 6 again. the side has such good balance when he's scoring.

Old 31-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
england have become quite loathe to select outside of the existing squad imo - hence foster not getting a look in and colly seemingly guaranteed a place for life. maybe that has changed with the change in skipper. patel and shah are both putting pressure on the selectors for a chance in the test side. strauss (and maybe colly) should be worried.

fantastic to see freddie batting like a genuine no 6 again. the side has such good balance when he's scoring.
too true, freddie really has some form back. gower keeps saying that even during the test series he didn't look out of nick, even though he never scored too many. good to see. looks a reasonable side to take the convicts on next year what with harmison finding some form. progressing nicely at the mo. shame trescothick is gone, he has had a good summer but cooked his goose as far as england goes. seems it was depression that f***ed him up. the big black dog is not easy to shift as i know from a couple of mates who have suffered

Old 31-08-2008, 07:28 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
too true, freddie really has some form back. gower keeps saying that even during the test series he didn't look out of nick, even though he never scored too many. good to see. looks a reasonable side to take the convicts on next year what with harmison finding some form. progressing nicely at the mo. shame trescothick is gone, he has had a good summer but cooked his goose as far as england goes. seems it was depression that f***ed him up. the big black dog is not easy to shift as i know from a couple of mates who have suffered
yeah. we'll need wicket-takers, though - someone to perform like simon jones did last time we turned them over. can anderson do it? i'm still not convinced, though he's starting to look the part. i think broad will be taken apart by the aussies, though.

to have a chance i think we need anderson to really find and maintain form, freddie to keep the level he's shown in the one-dayers, harmison to keep it all together and monty to start taking wickets again.

piece of piss.

Old 31-08-2008, 07:38 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
yeah. we'll need wicket-takers, though - someone to perform like simon jones did last time we turned them over. can anderson do it? i'm still not convinced, though he's starting to look the part. i think broad will be taken apart by the aussies, though.
might suit him out there, he's a tall lad, and the tracks and some pace and bounce may be up his street
Closed Thread