United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-03-2018, 07:46 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
If the choice is between finishing second in the league playing football like this or finishing second playing better football I'll take the latter, at the moment we're the least shit contender behind City in a division where Burnley are good enough for 7th and yet are closer to relegation places than we are to City and could still mathematically be caught by a historically bad West Brom.

Frankly any manager with a reputation of Mourinho should be a lot closer to City for the money spent since he arrived, especially in this division, they are having a good season, but unless we end up winning 11 on the spin to end the season we're more likely heading for what would be a runners up points total 9 times out of 10.
What if playing better football meant finishing lower than 2nd?

Unread 20-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
If the choice is between finishing second in the league playing football like this or finishing second playing better football I'll take the latter, at the moment we're the least shit contender behind City in a division where Burnley are good enough for 7th and yet are closer to relegation places than we are to City and could still mathematically be caught by a historically bad West Brom.

Frankly any manager with a reputation of Mourinho should be a lot closer to City for the money spent since he arrived, especially in this division, they are having a good season, but unless we end up winning 11 on the spin to end the season we're more likely heading for what would be a runners up points total 9 times out of 10.
Agreed but, why does it have to be a choice between football like this and finishing 2nd or better football finishing 2nd?

That's just shifting the goalposts to suit the current agenda!
If it was better football and finishing 2nd, for 3 years, without any kind of trophy, do you think people would be happy with it like they're claiming?

No! They wouldn't!
They can say it all they want now but, if it did come to that, they would be making polls on here, looking for "Poch" to be sacked "TONIGHT!" and bigging up the next flavour of the month

Unread 20-03-2018, 07:54 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFOD
Shame it was LVG that didn't. He didn't know what he was doing.
He always knows what he is doing. 9 wins from his last 13 games with a young side. Won a trophy; the biggest since Fergie left. Even the football was showing signs of improvement, as admitted at the time on here by some of his detractors.

What could have been

Unread 20-03-2018, 07:56 PM
otbarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Can actually picture him brandishing players.
Must spread blah blah blah.

Unread 20-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Agreed but, why does it have to be a choice between football like this and finishing 2nd or better football finishing 2nd?

That's just shifting the goalposts to suit the current agenda!
If it was better football and finishing 2nd, for 3 years, without any kind of trophy, do you think people would be happy with it like they're claiming?

No! They wouldn't!
They can say it all they want now but, if it did come to that, they would be making polls on here, looking for "Poch" to be sacked "TONIGHT!" and bigging up the next flavour of the month
Some of us wanted Pochettino in 2016. Hardly flavour of the month.

Unread 20-03-2018, 08:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Some of us wanted Pochettino in 2016. Hardly flavour of the month.
Yep. As did Fergie iirc.

Tbf he's been the flavour of the last 24 months.

I have no doubt that if we were in exactly this position but playing great football, Mourinho wouldn't be under any pressure at all.

Unread 20-03-2018, 09:58 PM
jem

Quote:
any manager with a reputation of Mourinho
who was it that first called him the special one?

£#%&! me, louis and jose have both been shit in their own way. king louis was anti-risk and jose is just anti-football. but at least lvg was funny.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
who was it that first called him the special one?

£#%&! me, louis and jose have both been shit in their own way. king louis was anti-risk and jose is just anti-football. but at least lvg was funny.
Louis anti-risk?

Sorry, no way. Centre backs on the halfway line with 50 yards of space in behind them? He was just in love with having the ball for the sake of having the ball.

Jose Mourinho takes zero risks with or without the ball.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Louis anti-risk?

Sorry, no way. Centre backs on the halfway line with 50 yards of space in behind them? He was just in love with having the ball for the sake of having the ball.

Sparks sageing the shit out of Jem. Very interesting

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Louis anti-risk?

You're absolutely right.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:18 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
What if playing better football meant finishing lower than 2nd?
I'd rather try to win n fail than set up with bitch tactics hoping for one goal.

The way we went out of Europe was a disgrace.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:20 PM
jem

Quote:
Louis anti-risk?

passing sideways rather than risking losing possession looking upfield.

given that the object is to score, not to keep the ball for the sake of it, I'd say that was a bit of an issue.

jolly old fat man, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Sparks sageing the shit out of Jem. Very interesting
bitch.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:26 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Louis anti-risk?

Give over - totally afraid to lose possession so took very few risks moving the ball forward whenever a risk free sideways or back ball could be played. As un-mufc an approach as I’ve ever seen. Mou’s approach can be worse on the eye but not consistently so.

Both shit heads.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Give over - totally afraid to lose possession so took very few risks moving the ball forward whenever a risk free sideways or back ball could be played. As un-mufc an approach as I’ve ever seen. Mou’s approach can be worse in the eye but not consistently so.

Both shit heads.
Just calling it as i saw it. He wasn't afraid to lose possession, he wanted United to dictate the entire game with the ball.

only problem was we had no idea what to do with it once we got in the final 3rd.

We were hopelessly vulnerable without the ball simply because of the way he set the team up. Go back and watch Smalling's sending off in the FA Cup final for a perfect example. 1v1 on the halfway line vs Yannick Bolaise with acres of space in behind, he has to rugby tackle him.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
passing sideways rather than risking losing possession looking upfield.

given that the object is to score, not to keep the ball for the sake of it, I'd say that was a bit of an issue.

jolly old fat man, though.
Why would anybody want to keep the ball for the sake of it? Doesn't make any sense

It's not about the risk of losing the ball. Anyone worried about losing the ball wouldn't have their defensive line on the halfway line. It's about keeping the team compact and backing yourselves to play your way through teams.

Sometimes the easiest and least risky thing a player can do is go direct.

Quote:
Just calling it as i saw it. He wasn't afraid to lose possession, he wanted United to dictate the entire game with the ball.

only problem was we had no idea what to do with it once we got in the final 3rd.

We were hopelessly vulnerable without the ball simply because of the way he set the team up. Go back and watch Smalling's sending off in the FA Cup final for a perfect example. 1v1 on the halfway line vs Yannick Bolaise with acres of space in behind, he has to rugby tackle him.
This guy, taking lads to school

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

Keith?

Keith?

Time to get up for school love. You'll be late.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Billy Redface

Can they both be shit and playing themselves out of jobs in season 2?

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Why would anybody want to keep the ball for the sake of it? Doesn't make any sense
um.... yeah..... I think that was my point.

*sigh*

I did like old louis, though. not so much the football.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:47 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
um.... yeah..... I think that was my point.

*sigh*

I did like old louis, though. not so much the football.
Your point was that it was deliberate. I'm just saying that if he had a De Bruyne or Silva threading passes through he'd have been alright with it. Also when the team is committed to play in the opponent's half you obviously do need to be more careful.

The movement between the lines and the speed of the circulation of the ball was the bigger issue, rather than the choice of pass. City move the ball sideways and backwards a huge amount and they obviously make loads of short passes. They do it pretty quickly though.

Unread 20-03-2018, 10:48 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

I was there pal - I remember it. Anyway, I agree - he made the pitch so small that we ended up playing the majority of matches between the half way line and the 16 yard box. We encouraged risk taking at the back but didn’t whatsoever upfront because our players were clueless and van gaal refused to change his approach despite it not working. We ended the season with one of lowest attempts on goal tallies in the history of the club. Risk taking
Closed Thread