elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Nice pic stoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
southern

barlow moor rd side
buried spitting distance from my folks. When I took my ma to Southern to choose a plot after my old man died she said bury him here so he is near Sir Matt

Unread 20-01-2012, 02:53 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
buried spitting distance from my folks. When I took my ma to Southern to choose a plot after my old man died she said bury him here so he is near Sir Matt
lot of the older Irish folk from m23 are buried a bit further over towards the parkway.........always thought that was the catholic part ??

Unread 20-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
Beautiful

Unread 20-01-2012, 02:54 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
lot of the older Irish folk from m23 are buried a bit further over towards the parkway.........always thought that was the catholic part ??
My old fella is near enough on Hough End.

Unread 20-01-2012, 02:57 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
My old fella is near enough on Hough End.
my mam and dad were both cremated at southern.....couple of years ago my youngest ( who never met either of them) asked to go to where they were buried ....I explained they were cremated but he wanted to go to Southern anyway......showed him Sir Matts grave, I got a bit of grit in my eye then as well

Unread 20-01-2012, 03:01 PM
elephantstone

Thumbs up

Quote:
all that bit is Catholic.

Unread 20-01-2012, 03:03 PM
The Watcher

Unread 20-01-2012, 03:04 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Keats and Yeats are on your side while Sir Matt is on mine.

Unread 20-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Jack Duckworth

he set the standard by which all others are judged

Unread 20-01-2012, 04:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Liverpool director on phone to Shankly while still at Huddersfield: "How would you like to manage the best football club in the world?"
Shankly: "Matt Busby's retiring?"
That was my sig when I started posting on here

Unread 20-01-2012, 05:14 PM
HarkNowHear

Quote:
my mam and dad were both cremated at southern.....couple of years ago my youngest ( who never met either of them) asked to go to where they were buried ....I explained they were cremated but he wanted to go to Southern anyway......showed him Sir Matts grave, I got a bit of grit in my eye then as well
Strolling around Southern Cemetery hey

Songwriters heaven.

Unread 20-01-2012, 05:42 PM
believe

I'll never forget the Everton game after he died. Many years before my time obviously but my old man making sure we went early to put flowers under the clock and seeing him tear up will live with me forever. It's a shame that the footage isn't as easily accessed as it would be nowadays but the bagpiper leading the team out that day was surreal as was the performance.

i posted this leading up to the 50th anniversary and even as someone who never seen busby manage or his team play, i recognise everything he did for this club and why i argue with dunk about the state of the team to this very day

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...59&postcount=3

Unread 20-01-2012, 06:14 PM
thatsfuctit

Unread 20-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Sandman

A few quotes from the great man.

Quote:
Winning matches at all costs is not the test of true achievement; there is no dishonour in defeat as long as you play to the limit of your strength and skill. What matters above all things is that the game should be played in the right spirit, with fair play and no favour, with every man playing as a member of his team and the result accepted without bitterness and conceit. Played at its best between two first-class teams, football is a wonderful spectacle. I love its drama, its smooth playing skills, its carelessly laid rhythms, and the added flavour of contrasting styles. Its great occasions are, for me at any rate, unequalled in the world of sport. I feel a sense of romance, wonder and mystery, a sense of beauty and a sense of poetry. On such occasions, the game has the timeless, magical qualities of legend.
Quote:
At United we strive for perfection - and if we fail - then we might just have to settle for excellence
Quote:
We seem to be producing a number of teams these days who think that strength, aggression and power are all that is needed to succeed in the modern game.
What they forget is that without pure skill these virtues count for absolutely nothing.

Unread 20-01-2012, 08:41 PM
wonky no

got home from work, heard it on look north west in my mams kitchen. 18 £#%&!ing years ago since besty sat on his own, seems a lot less than that. time flies when you're winning the lot.

Unread 20-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Spock

Some cracking stuff on this thread..

18 years... it seems like yesterday tbh

Stoney sums that up. Top bloke that you are!

Believe, great post also

Unread 20-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Jerry the Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I'll never forget the Everton game after he died. Many years before my time obviously but my old man making sure we went early to put flowers under the clock and seeing him tear up will live with me forever. It's a shame that the footage isn't as easily accessed as it would be nowadays but the bagpiper leading the team out that day was surreal as was the performance.

i posted this leading up to the 50th anniversary and even as someone who never seen busby manage or his team play, i recognise everything he did for this club and why i argue with dunk about the state of the team to this very day

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...59&postcount=3

The greatest. RIP Sir Matt, look after the Babes as they play on in heaven.

Unread 20-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
Is that true?
Yes 100%!
Closed Thread