United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Jez Quigley

Football Martin Samuel's combined Liverpool/ Utd team

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...tter-team.html

Quote:
Now combine the two teams, starting at the back. Both have good keepers, but there can be no argument that a man who has gone 1,212 minutes without conceding a league goal is among the players of the season. Van der Sar, therefore, gets the nod over Reina. He has been on a roll since emerging victorious from the penalty shoot-out at the Champions League final last season

United have three strong right backs and the only alternative would be to overlook them all for Carragher, Benitez's defensive rock, out of position in a role he has occupied in key matches in Europe. This would be appealing because, to put it bluntly, he is not getting into this team at centre half.

Those positions are reserved for Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, an early contender for Footballer of the Year. Ferdinand's appearances through the season have been restricted by injury, but Vidic has been a constant and as a partnership they have now surpassed John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho of Chelsea.

At left back, United's Patrice Evra is the best in the country at the moment, ahead of Ashley Cole, of Chelsea.

Midfield brings another Manchester United landslide with Gerrard the only Liverpool player in a four that would comprise Ronaldo, Fletcher and Giggs. Torres would be the goalscoring spearhead, but his partner would be Rooney. Final total: Manchester United 8, Liverpool 3. And one of Liverpool's three gets in with a shoe-horn.

Despite the excellent job done by Roy Hodgson, Manchester United should beat Fulham tonight and, at that moment, a daunting lead will open up. Liverpool still have to go to Old Trafford, so the battle is not over, but the biggest shock of the season would be if United threw it away from here.

If that were the case, there genuinely would be need for an investigation - into whether Ronaldo's heart was still in Manchester, whether Berbatov's arrival had unsettled the team, if Ferguson was correct in his treatment of Tevez.
Personally, I think he is being generous with Carragher in there. Torres and the Fodless One are fairy nuffs....

but Fletcher ahead of Carrick I love TSP now but Carrick is Dr Manhatten to TSP's Rorschach....

Unread 18-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Hopskipjump

mmmmmmmm, still think he's a fat faced hairy @#%&!

Unread 18-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopskipjump
Fair point and you are entitled to your opinion but when he plays, I think our Midfield looks much more potent going forward and he has improved his defensive game too...

Unread 18-02-2009, 08:23 AM
koppas

Is he writing for the Mail now? Wondered why i never find his column in the Guardian.

Unread 18-02-2009, 08:58 AM
prunier84

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Is he writing for the Mail now? Wondered why i never find his column in the Guardian.
Times not the Guardian. He lift in Jan. on 400k at the Mail.

Unread 18-02-2009, 09:00 AM
ONESMARTBADGER

did you try looking at both sides of the page ?

Unread 18-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

Personally, I think he is being generous with Carragher in there. Torres and the Fodless One are fairy nuffs....

but Fletcher ahead of Carrick I love TSP now but Carrick is Dr Manhatten to TSP's Rorschach....
I'm just glad he doesn't write in The Times anymore, he generally spoilt decent sports coverage with his inane %@#$&!s and his attempt to turn any debate into one about the English national side.

Carragher? I seriously question whether he'd even get on our bench. Let alone in our first 11.

Torres is the only vermin player who is worthy of his place.

Gerrard in a 2 man midfield...no thanks.

Unread 18-02-2009, 09:23 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopskipjump
Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'm just glad he doesn't write in The Times anymore, he generally spoilt decent sports coverage with his inane %@#$&!s and his attempt to turn any debate into one about the English national side.

Carragher? I seriously question whether he'd even get on our bench. Let alone in our first 11.

Torres is the only vermin player who is worthy of his place.

Gerrard in a 2 man midfield...no thanks.
Torres is the only player I'd take. Gerrard isn't a midfielder for me, he plays just off the striker.

Unread 18-02-2009, 09:25 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:

He obviously doesn't know his keepers that well either. Riena has won the last 3 premiership golden gloves awards whilst Van der Sar has had to make just 20 saves in his 1,212 minutes due to uniteds defence being so strong.

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
He obviously doesn't know his keepers that well either. Riena has won the last 3 premiership golden gloves awards whilst Van der Sar has had to make just 20 saves in his 1,212 minutes due to uniteds defence being so strong.
so you're saying that Reina is the better keeper because he doesn't organise his defence as well as Van Der Sar? okay.

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Ginners

Quote:

carragher is a great defender, better at CB than RB but i cant really argue with the back 5 he's chosen, in fact fletcher ahead of carrick is the only thing i would change

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Carragher at right back is a joke, Brown is a better RB ffs. As is Fletcher ahead of Carrick. Can't trust anyone's opinion in football if they don't rate Carrick.

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Zorg

Carragher! £#%&! right the way off.

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Carragher at right back is a joke, Brown is a better RB ffs. As is Fletcher ahead of Carrick. Can't trust anyone's opinion in football if they don't rate Carrick.
i know loads of people who dont rate carrick, all he ever does is the easy ball etc. infuriating tbh

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Fletcher is probably better at RB than Carragher, he's a shit RB IIRC.

Tumescent Throb

just read the article now

if United don't win the league, he says,

Quote:
there genuinely would be need for an investigation

£#%&!ing #@&%!!

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:54 PM
History

...............VDS...........
Brown..Rio...Vida....Evra
Gerrard..Scholes..Carrick..Ronaldo..
...........Torres....Rooney..........

There we go end of.

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Present time Scholes should not be in there. IF we are talking this season then;
VDS
Rafael Rio Vidic Evra
Ggigs Carrick Alonso
Ronaldo Torres Rooney

Unread 18-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Sparky***

Stephen Hawking looks more comfortable in possession of a football than Jamie Carragher.

Unread 18-02-2009, 03:08 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
so you're saying that Reina is the better keeper because he doesn't organise his defence as well as Van Der Sar? okay.
By you're logic your saying that Van der sar is a better keeper for organising the brilliant parnership of Vidic and Ferdinand that Reina is for getting overrated coin thrower Carragher and over the hill peroxide lover Sammi Hyypia to do a better job in terms of goals conceeded? Okay.

I don't want to end up fighter a scouse corner here but I think that Reina is the most underrated keeper in the division and as he is yet to hit the age that keepers tend to peak I think Liverpool have that part of the squad sewn right up.
Closed Thread