United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:18 PM
Zorg

Default Violent five-a-side leagues

Reading this reminded me of some of the nutjobs I came across in leagues back int he day (20 years ago ffs ).
Quote:
A foul too far – the day I decided to blow the whistle on the brutality of five-a-side football

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ment-166560419

We had one match abandoned after it just descended into a mass brawl, a proper punch-up with every player involved. Except me - I'd been subbed off after getting (accidentally) smashed in the eye, and I couldn't see. Me and their sub had been pleasantly chatting until it kicked off and then he suddenly went for me. Only stopped when I reminded him I couldn't see a thing he was doing.

Another time a mate organised a charity tournament and one bloke dragged another off the pitch by the scruff of his neck, before nutting him. All in a good cause

Thought it was bad enough at Whalley Range but then I joined a league at the Pitz in Ardwick

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:34 PM
RedNick80

Played a few times at Whalley Range, prob about 18 years ago. Never got into any bother myself but our striker got charged by the police for punching someone.

Some mates of mine play in a local over 40’s league, don’t KO till about 10pm. £#%&! that.

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:38 PM
est.1878

Pitz on a monday was brutal. Delicious mix of local hardcases, students and office teams. Can't recall if we got refs? Feel like didnt.

Ran a team at the JJB and had to attend a FA disciplinary hearing after a 16 man (boy) brawl.... Was mainly floor based, pile ons and occasional punch landed.

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:41 PM
Bobby C

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Pitz on a monday was brutal. Delicious mix of local hardcases, students and office teams. Can't recall if we got refs? Feel like didnt.

Ran a team at the JJB and had to attend a FA disciplinary hearing after a 16 man (boy) brawl.... Was mainly floor based, pile ons and occasional punch landed.
That must have been hard

Most loud mouth dads I know are happy to shout shite but wouldnt ever risk being a ref

They couldnt

Well done you my brother

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:41 PM
Hyman_Roth

Was in a league at Ardwick Pitz for yonks. Generally played office teams so people couldn’t misbehave too badly but occasionally…..wow.

Brutal stuff.

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:51 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:

Was mainly Monday night Pitz crew, played in the top division so minimal punch ups. JJB was a stabbing waiting to happen

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:54 PM
Jethro

Ardwick was awful. Plus the college ground round the corner for 7 a side. Proper scruffs just saw it as an opportunity to scrap.

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:57 PM
Bobby C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
Was in a league at Ardwick Pitz for yonks. Generally played office teams so people couldn’t misbehave too badly but occasionally…..wow.

Brutal stuff.
I bet you was a crybaby shithouse

Unread 20-02-2024, 02:58 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Ran a team at the JJB and had to attend a FA disciplinary hearing after a 16 man (boy) brawl....Was mainly floor based, pile ons and occasional punch landed.

Unread 20-02-2024, 03:21 PM
Medlock

Played in various leagues at Whalley Range for ages. Many, many acts of disgraceful violence: refs getting battered, waist high challenges etc. I remember one incident where of our players, having been fouled, picked up the ball and booted it into their player's face. Next thing. I became aware. my peripheral vision, of one of their players flying though the air, almost in slow motion. with a Cantona style free kick which when it landed triggered a mass brawl that led to both teams being banned for 4 weeks

Unread 20-02-2024, 03:23 PM
no fun

Only played at Pitz once….wrong side of town….no problems iirc

Guested for a mates team once who were in the league at JJB soccer dome….got on the pitch to be faced with an opposition which included several very well known united top boys….fortunately one of them sort of knew me from years back so I didn’t get too seriously assaulted

Unread 20-02-2024, 04:35 PM
Knockers

Always kicked off at Whalley Range. Played these mental South Americans once and the gnarliest @#%&! stuck his fingers in my eyes like I was a bowling ball. I’m only fairly pequeño. I’m not trying to get hotted-up over a kickabout.
Anyone who played there in any of the leagues must remember a lad called Daz who drove an Impreza. Saw him break someone’s leg deliberately once. F that.

Unread 20-02-2024, 04:45 PM
est.1878

anyone want to disclose team name?

borrussia bush and tricks n flicks were our nemeses

Unread 20-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
anyone want to disclose team name?

borrussia bush and tricks n flicks were our nemeses
I liked the name of the journos team, amused me.

Unread 20-02-2024, 05:30 PM
Coracao

In terms of a powder keg waiting to go off, I don't think the games we had at lunchtime at high school can be topped

I remember busting one lads lip once. Then had to sit next to him for an hour straight after lunch in science.

Unread 20-02-2024, 05:32 PM
no fun

We played against a team from Rochdale called Inter Misister

Didn’t really

Unread 20-02-2024, 06:00 PM
magic_cantona

A lad I used to work with from Mosley used to play for PSV Hangover.

Unread 20-02-2024, 06:05 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
In terms of a powder keg waiting to go off, I don't think the games we had at lunchtime at high school can be topped

I remember busting one lads lip once. Then had to sit next to him for an hour straight after lunch in science.

One lunchtime game at Primary school saw a lad get his shoulder dislocated.
Nowhere near the ball & a lad from the year above just hurtles straight into him. He goes flying & slams into the floor & starts screaming.
It all kicks off, big melee of kids all piling in while this poor @#%&! was underneath it all screaming his head off.

Unread 20-02-2024, 06:43 PM
larry

used to play at the pitz quite a bit back in the day
no one ever £#%&!ed with me

Unread 21-02-2024, 10:03 AM
Stickman

Aberdeen was dirty as £#%&! at times too.

Goals 5s on a Sunday night or 7s at strikers Monday. Felt like easy pray at 15-16 in the men’s leagues at 5s.

Played an offshore mob who were older and way harder than us when we were 20/21 and they were chinning some of our players and all sorts. I’m an attacker but played at the back and kept taking up spaces to give myself loads of time on ball then i’d distribute it quick