United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 14-02-2024, 10:30 PM
Hyman_Roth

Rumours are that Dan will insist on a picture of Pogba, Maguire and Antony on the wall of his office. The holy shitony.

A reminder to all of the perils of his job.

Unread 14-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
interesting that no one is comfortable addressing this
You could probably quote all of your posts with that comment tbf pal

Unread 15-02-2024, 01:47 AM
Whip Hubley

disconcerting seeing marlo positive about something united related tbh

good times might be back...

Unread 15-02-2024, 09:04 AM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
The club had the wrong mentality.

so hung up on the past they always tried to replicate it.
always wanted people that “get United” not those best suited to the roles.

That’s why our football appointments were all just a few people switched offices and ordered new business cards.
Yeah it’s looks good fletcher turning up an away stadiums in a United suit but what else does it do for us?
I think that's a fair statement but it's hard to move away from a model that has been successful in the past. Look what Liverpool did for years too.
Trying to go with people who "got" the club. Took them years to move away from that model, which finally led them to Klopp. Seamless continuity is always the first thing one tries in business with a company that has been previously successful, remains broadly successful, but that undergoes some changes. That was United at the time. The team needed some reinvest when Ferie left but not ripping up in the way it ended up happening. Wholesale changes at the time of Ferie and Gill leaving didn't make sense but they got the Ferie replacement, spectacularly wrong, and the rot set in from there.

United now seem to be going for best in class in every position off the field but i think it took SJR's investment to allow them to do that. Seemingly, there was no one in the Glazer structure who had the nous or ambition to do that. they tried it with Rangnick but then didn't follow through with it. Plus query whether they believed everything he said. Brailsford clearly holds way more clout in the sporting world and is ruthless AF.

Unread 15-02-2024, 09:28 AM
guerreiro

Saw a video of him next to other grown men. He’s a proper midget, can’t see how he could dominate any negotiation or tall retail counter he’s that small.

Unread 15-02-2024, 09:36 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offerington View Post
I think that's a fair statement but it's hard to move away from a model that has been successful in the past. Look what Liverpool did for years too.
Trying to go with people who "got" the club. Took them years to move away from that model, which finally led them to Klopp. Seamless continuity is always the first thing one tries in business with a company that has been previously successful, remains broadly successful, but that undergoes some changes. That was United at the time. The team needed some reinvest when Ferie left but not ripping up in the way it ended up happening. Wholesale changes at the time of Ferie and Gill leaving didn't make sense but they got the Ferie replacement, spectacularly wrong, and the rot set in from there.

United now seem to be going for best in class in every position off the field but i think it took SJR's investment to allow them to do that. Seemingly, there was no one in the Glazer structure who had the nous or ambition to do that. they tried it with Rangnick but then didn't follow through with it. Plus query whether they believed everything he said. Brailsford clearly holds way more clout in the sporting world and is ruthless AF.

very true

One of the main reasons i wanted the Arabs is being they would be going for best in class in every department, i had SJR wrong in that respect

But yeah United tried to just keep things going from the Fergie era but for me even Fergie in fergies era was going abit stale. I personally think the last season was an Indian summer and Fergie was wise to go out on a high.

Fast forward to now and we have a that Soanish bloke up stairs, ashworth as well.

I’d say we need a u21 manager that will mirror the first team manager who will be replaced in the summer so can’t appoint someone yet.

Players that aren’t doing it or seems unlikely to do it to the required standard will be sold (Anthony, Sancho, malacia , etc)

Unread 15-02-2024, 09:59 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
very true

One of the main reasons i wanted the Arabs is being they would be going for best in class in every department, i had SJR wrong in that respect

But yeah United tried to just keep things going from the Fergie era but for me even Fergie in fergies era was going abit stale. I personally think the last season was an Indian summer and Fergie was wise to go out on a high.

Fast forward to now and we have a that Soanish bloke up stairs, ashworth as well.

I’d say we need a u21 manager that will mirror the first team manager who will be replaced in the summer so can’t appoint someone yet.

Players that aren’t doing it or seems unlikely to do it to the required standard will be sold (Anthony, Sancho, malacia , etc)
Agree with most of that but I think you’ve massively over estimated Middle Eastern ownership. City have got that right by buying the entire Barcelona structure and then by cheating on an industrial scale. I’m not saying what they’ve done isn’t impressive to some extent but their success will always be considered less worthy than others. But fair play, I think how they’ve approached their sports washing has been determined and successful.

PSG on the other hand have been an absolute basket case in comparison. Throwing money at every issue that arises coupled with a stupid impatience and lack of nous.

Radcliffe for me always presented a miles better option. Local self made billionaire who understands the club and what it represents - you don’t achieve and then maintain what he had without being a very impressive character. It’s a world away from simply being born into a family that happens to be the ruling royal family.

That said, their motivation for owning United is not a world apart.

Unread 15-02-2024, 10:21 AM
armchair

Unread 15-02-2024, 10:33 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Jawdies heads falling off all over the shop

Unread 15-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
first we see off Qatar now Saudi....

Hope big Jim doesn't need to visit a Turkish embassy any time soon ..

Unread 15-02-2024, 11:24 AM
Stickman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offerington

Post (ting)

Unread 15-02-2024, 11:37 AM
thatsfuctit

Here you go Dan, sort this shit out.

Manchester United 2023 squad the most expensive in history - Uefa report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68274866

Unread 15-02-2024, 12:14 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit View Post
Here you go Dan, sort this shit out.

Manchester United 2023 squad the most expensive in history - Uefa report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68274866
“ The reports says three other squads - Manchester City, Chelsea and Real - cost more than £1bn in transfer fees.

Chelsea's figures go up to June 2022, meaning the £850m they spent from the summer of that year to August 2023 is not counted.”

Slightly significant omission there.

Unread 15-02-2024, 12:17 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post

The DA's in town

Unread 15-02-2024, 12:21 PM
Dr Stranger

This is really showing the Glazers up for the cheap skates they are too.

Before they’ve even been confirmed, INEOS are doing the basic shit that we should be doing as a big club.

They could have done this at any point if they had the desire to be the best, but they don’t.

I’m sure the usual #@&%! pundits will be lauding these appointments, when they’ve spent most of the time questioning what United fans were complaining about because ‘tHE gLazurs sPeNd loADz’.

Unread 15-02-2024, 12:36 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
very true

Unread 15-02-2024, 12:56 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post

I spotted that but let it lie....

Unread 15-02-2024, 01:46 PM
Lok

It isn't really a money thing. The Glazers could have appointed these people and it wouldn't really have cost us any more money than the idiots we have in charge. You could actually argue that it would have saved them hundreds of millions.

The Glazers are either lazy or stupid (or both). They left that whole side of the business to rot and would just chuck money at problems by buying players/firing managers when the team failed to meet the objectives (top 4).

I wasn't all that keen on the idea of BJR (or the Arabs tbh). It felt like he gave the Glazers a stay of execution at a time where they were about to run out of money and would have to leave. But it feels like he's doing things right and for the first time in 10 years we might be on the right path.

Unread 15-02-2024, 01:47 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post