United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 05-02-2024, 11:09 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
This - a bit harsh on Onana imv - signs aren’t good but he’s only been here half a season. It all depends on who we could get. Don’t say Dave.

Bulleting Antony is what Erik needs to do but it would be a brave shout - basically Erik admitting that he doesn’t really know ball.
Agree with this. Onana hasn’t been great - all signs are he could be a little bit shit - but it’s not a priority this summer.

Antony is going nowhere, sadly. We better get used to having an 80miliion bench player. I wouldn’t sell McT. He’s a good squad player. Wasn’t great when him and Fred were first pick each week but we are over that and if he’s okay sitting on the bench then that’s okay. Same with Maguire. Plus the squad is already threadbare.

Sell all the loanees. Throw in AWB, Rashford and Martial - Antony if a daft offer comes in - and Varane, Cas and Eriksen if anyone wants to pay for them and we’ll be well set to build something interesting. Basically I’d be open to selling anyone whose name isn’t Hojlund, Mainoo, Garnacho, Bruno or Martinez

Unread 05-02-2024, 11:09 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
He's one of only a few we have who would get in city's team.
Under Pep? Giving the ball away every second pass?

Not in this lifetime.

Unread 05-02-2024, 11:20 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
all opinions of course, but I find it £#%&!ing bonkers that people think Bruno should be sold.

People will throw out excuses for literally everyone else regarding the fact we've not had a solid team, but i'd argue Bruno is the one outfield player who most needs a settled team around him - no great £#%&!ing shock that with Casemiro and Mainoo as the 2 midfielders next to him we've won 3 games on the bounce, scoring 11 goals. Not rocket science is it?

there's approximately 25 players I'd get rid of before one of the most productive attacking mids in europe who never misses a game

each to their own though....
Same. Who replaces him and at what price? Need a goalscoring, creative midfielder, who's not 37 and leaving Madrid - there's not a lot of names that anyone can put forward that are realistic.

As if Bruno is a problem ffs Not faultless but come on.

Unread 05-02-2024, 11:25 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
It all depends on who we could get.
well, yeah.... that's always the problem.

leaving that aside..... top dollar for rashford and greenwood*.

take what we can get for maguire, martial, onana, mctog, antony, the don, malacia.

maybe onana "isn't a priority", but nor was getting rid of de gea. we need a better keeper, though.

* £#%&! this. get him back.

Unread 05-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Hyman_Roth

Would be daft getting rid of Bruno. He’s irritated me to £#%&! this season - whining, sulking, not performing etc but even so, doesn’t he have the most assists and goals of any midfielder in Europe or something? Who on earth would we get to replace him.

What he shouldn’t be is captain - because he’s a giant whining fanny and anyone who try’s to get a yellow to miss a difficult match wants shooting - give it to Martinez. But put him in a semi functioning team and he’s brilliant.

Unread 05-02-2024, 11:26 AM
believe

It’s odd that the argument for ten hag is that he just needs a fully fit squad to succeed but we need to sell have of them

I personally don’t think we need such a big clear out just try and make money from the likes of Greenwood and Sancho and make sure the next player he buys is of the quality we require and this squad should be more than capable of doing well. Time will obviously tell with the likes of Antony and Onana but we just need to learn when to cut our losses.

Unread 05-02-2024, 12:05 PM
Baron

100% sell & get the money at any cost:

Sancho
Maguire
AWB
Donny
Pellistri
Greenwood

On the thinnest of ice:

Antony
Onana
Varane
Rashford
Malacia

& to some extent Bruno. He's the captain. He plays every game, he's overseen some catastrophic performances & he's not performing the way he did in his first season, he's dropping off. His passing is now not just erratic but getting lazy... he's the most likely to turn it around & play well but he also necessitates the chaos-ball & lack of control of a game by virtue of not liking posession enough to do something about it. Unless his numbers come back to his first season level it's a compromise that will always be in the balance. Especially in big games were a side will punish you for his mistakes.

Contracts expiring who should be jettisoned:

All of them.

Martial
Evans
Amrabat shouldn't be purchased
Heaton

It's obvious that it will take another two seasons for that to happen at best, it's a long road to sort your squad out.

Look at Arteta - taken him into his 5th season & he still doesn't even have a proper striker but the rest of them are all pulling in the same, hyperactive Lego-haired way & the club is in harmony.

You need to get rid of the shit@#%&!s. End of.

Unread 05-02-2024, 12:19 PM
Whip Hubley

Not sure arsenal are what we should be aspiring to They've literally won £#%&! all. Oh sorry, an FA cup 4 (?) years ago.

Unread 05-02-2024, 12:27 PM
Baron

Quote:
Not sure arsenal are what we should be aspiring to They've literally won £#%&! all. Oh sorry, an FA cup 4 (?) years ago.
Would you rather be aspiring to be City or Chelsea?

It's about how to sort the club out. We're not a bottomless pit of oil money, the club needs to be backing the manager, but also providing the right framework for him to work in. A DoF & some help with the footballing side is a good start.

Winning something is then on ETH, don't care what Arsenal have or haven't won as such, it's about giving yourself a chance.

Right now the whole club has given none of our managers a chance realistically despite throwing money the problem. Chelsea are currently showing the folly of that approach.

You have to sell the players who are problem, and you have to cut your losses on some shit@#%&!s.

Unread 05-02-2024, 12:29 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Not necessarily this summer,
so not what the thread asked for?

Unread 05-02-2024, 01:06 PM
Vedder

AWB
Lindelof
Varane
Casemiro
Antony
Sancho
Greenwood
Martial
Donny

Unread 05-02-2024, 01:25 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Would you rather be aspiring to be City or Chelsea?

It's about how to sort the club out. We're not a bottomless pit of oil money, the club needs to be backing the manager, but also providing the right framework for him to work in. A DoF & some help with the footballing side is a good start.

Winning something is then on ETH, don't care what Arsenal have or haven't won as such, it's about giving yourself a chance.

Right now the whole club has given none of our managers a chance realistically despite throwing money the problem. Chelsea are currently showing the folly of that approach.

You have to sell the players who are problem, and you have to cut your losses on some shit@#%&!s.

Arteta has, almost to the penny in terms of gross and net spend, spent exactly what we have over the last 5 years. Point being if you're going to use him as some sort of beacon as to what can be achieved after 5 seasons, he's not the best fit. Truth is there are no real examples of long term stability bringing success, other than at city or the dippers (to a point).

And yes, city is exactly what we should be aspiring to on the sporting front more or less.

Unread 05-02-2024, 04:24 PM
Baron

Quote:
Arteta has, almost to the penny in terms of gross and net spend, spent exactly what we have over the last 5 years. Point being if you're going to use him as some sort of beacon as to what can be achieved after 5 seasons, he's not the best fit. Truth is there are no real examples of long term stability bringing success, other than at city or the dippers (to a point).

And yes, city is exactly what we should be aspiring to on the sporting front more or less.
If Arteta has spent the same as us in those 5 years, and currently finds his team 11 points clear of us with a +26 goal difference compared to our -1 do you not think the approach that they have taken is a bit more of a model than what we have done?

As I said, it's not just about money. We can throw all the money at it we want. It's about clearing out players you don't want there, they did that with Ozil, Aubameyang, Pepe, Xhaka etc & have evolved over that time.

You don't just go from the patched together from 4-5 managers squad that we have to a team capable of challenging for honours in one year. You don't. Not a sustainable one, you might have a freak year with no European football & keep everyone fit - do a Leicester or whatever. But you won't be a good side for a few years or a football club that can manage attritional situations.

Arsenal probably can't even do the last of that, but they are pretty much 1 top striker away from taking over as the main challengers to City for a few years with a young squad.

If Pep leaves, or City get the sort of punishment they deserve, you would expect a change in the hierarchy again. Football is cyclical, look at the state of Barcelona at the moment.

United simply need to have a bit of patience, back the manager (so long as he doesn't hang himself with mental selections or tactics) & make more astute signings as well as carving out the shite in the squad that can linger like a particularly eggy fart.

We do not aspire to be City.

Unread 05-02-2024, 04:59 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
He's one of only a few we have who would get in city's team.
100% this.

Unread 05-02-2024, 05:10 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

We do not aspire to be City.

I never said we aspire to be city, obviously. I said on a sporting level we do - their infrastructure is best in class, they have 3 titles on the bounce and are looking for a 4th, are treble winners and have basically dominated the english game for the best part of 10 years.

Do you not fancy that?

I don't think they way arteta and arsenal do things is either relevant nor something we should be aiming for. soz. There's hardly a team in the land that's been run worse than we have in the last decade+, but that doesn't mean we should look at Arsenal and think they're doing things correctly. They're not.

Unread 05-02-2024, 05:22 PM
Baron

Quote:
I never said we aspire to be city, obviously. I said on a sporting level we do - their infrastructure is best in class, they have 3 titles on the bounce and are looking for a 4th, are treble winners and have basically dominated the english game for the best part of 10 years.

Do you not fancy that?

I don't think they way arteta and arsenal do things is either relevant nor something we should be aiming for. soz. There's hardly a team in the land that's been run worse than we have in the last decade+, but that doesn't mean we should look at Arsenal and think they're doing things correctly. They're not.
City have clearly cheated, I don't want any part of that. It's all tainted. All of it.

I'd rather we did what we should do, use our nous & acted like a proper football club.

You're mental if you think Arsenal aren't doing things well, look at the league.

Unread 05-02-2024, 05:42 PM
Zorg

Need to cash in on Garnacho and Mainoo now so we can fix the roof, imo.

Unread 05-02-2024, 05:48 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
City have clearly cheated, I don't want any part of that. It's all tainted. All of it.

I'd rather we did what we should do, use our nous & acted like a proper football club.

You're mental if you think Arsenal aren't doing things well, look at the league.

Well yes, obviously. I didn't say we should copy the means with which they've implemented their structure. We've got our own money thanks.

And sorry, you're never going to convince me that Arsenal are 'doing things well'. They've literally won 1 FA cup, right at the start of Artetas reign. They've missed far more than they've hit in the transfer market. And considering we've done just about everything wrong we could and they've done things 'well', they've not really got a lot to show for it. They've been well behind either city or liverpool (or both) for the duration.

If you pointed to liverpool and said they're doing things well, that would be more reasonable and a better comparison in this instance. At least it was until klopp decided he'd had enough. Lol.

Unread 05-02-2024, 06:31 PM
Bunker Buster

Wow, whip now wanting us to be like city, cheat and have Top Infrastructure....

Unread 24-02-2024, 06:12 PM
TreeFiddy

How are we going to get rid of them all?

Varane, Sancho, Rashford - that's over a million a week in wages ffs. Who is going to be stupid enough to take them?