United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2018, 08:53 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
i remembers back in the 90s wondering why there were so few asian footballers. South asian specifically. Wasn't worried about far east, they were really sporty, but the UK was full of south asians.
Now you can't swing a cat without hitting one.
Were they held back? or had their communities not yet acclimatised to british culture?
What black or asian manager has been held back? if they're good enough, they'll get the job imo. this is not america.
I remember someone posting quotes from Ricky Hill on here a while back. Basically couldn’t even get a response when applying for coaching jobs. Capped for England and he was getting blanked by non league clubs for a decade until he gave up a few years back.

No reason to have so much confidence that there isn’t cultural/racial bias among the white millionaires who own football clubs imo.

Besides, not being good enough doesn’t stop the white lads getting on the merry-go-round.

Unread 10-01-2018, 08:57 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Why is it the Rooney rule ?
you have to try to chip the keeper at least once per game. doesn't matter how poor the effort is.

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:01 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
You know why Pakistan never do well?

Every time they get a corner they open a load of counter attacking opportunities for he Opposition due to their tendency to put too many players in the box and leave themselves open to conceding a goal on the break.
Once they get that sorted and tighten up defensively there's no reason they can't climb up the world rankings imho.

I was worried for a second there

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:03 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
you have to try to chip the keeper at least once per game. doesn't matter how poor the effort is.
Makes sense (doesn’t)

Is it ~ you don’t have to be from a certain stock to take on the world...

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Makes sense (doesn’t)

Is it ~ you don’t have to be from a certain stock to take on the world...
maybe siders is right about the grassroots level. i don't usually concern myself with the lower levels of the game so maybe he has a point there.

Local lads. Aka racists.

Can't imagine telling some mouthbreather from rochdale that he has to interview some gay lads for assistant manager of the local club. (do they have a club?)

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:28 AM
sa7

Quote:

Can't imagine telling some mouthbreather from rochdale that he has to interview some gay lads for assistant manager of the local club. (do they have a club?)
Here, give it a try. Let us know how you get on - http://www.utdforum.com/forum/member.php?u=62

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:30 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
maybe siders is right about the grassroots level. i don't usually concern myself with the lower levels of the game so maybe he has a point there.

Local lads. Aka racists.

The notable one must be Incey. Yes he’s an utter moron but you’re telling me with his hardman, warrior captain image, not to mention the clubs he played for, it’s not a bit weird that he gets his start with Macclesfield at the bottom of League 2?

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Kangared

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
You can’t control that, though. If clubs want to hire inexperienced young managers then they will do so. What you can try to control is a sense of equal oppprtunity, which is what this is about.
Agreed, what I was saying is that the Rooney rule should not be just put in place for the England job.

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:40 AM
My Name is Heath

Can't wait for in 10 years people whining that eg Rochdale haven't yet employed a BAME manager.

Also - from my work experience - I genuinely think there's going to be some people earning a tidy butty in going to multiple interviews,

Unread 10-01-2018, 09:43 AM
shenwen

“People should be hired on merit alone”

Absolutely. And that’s what this rule is meant to help.

Unread 10-01-2018, 10:22 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangared
Agreed, what I was saying is that the Rooney rule should not be just put in place for the England job.
It won’t be. But it’s the best place to start isn’t it?

Unread 10-01-2018, 10:32 AM
20 times

English managers are just shit tbh regardless of whether they’re white or black

The players are too

Historically the best managers in this country have been foreign or jocks

Unread 10-01-2018, 10:40 AM
flixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
English managers are just shit tbh regardless of whether they’re white or black

The players are too

Historically the best managers in this country have been foreign or jocks
Or Brian Clough.

Unread 10-01-2018, 10:52 AM
S/Side.Red

Up until the ‘70s English managers were among the most innovative and influential in the global game.

Hard to imagine

Success makes people complacent and lazy though.

Unread 10-01-2018, 11:09 AM
20 times

Quote:
Up until the ‘70s English managers were among the most innovative and influential in the global game.

Hard to imagine

Success makes people complacent and lazy though.
Yep. I’d make the rule “no English managers please. They’re useless @#%&!s” instead.

Unread 10-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I agree that at grass roots then ethnicity should be encouraged - I’m all for that. However straight at the top level seems a bit of a token gesture.

If Pep was black, white, Brian, yellow, had one leg and bisexual he’d still get the top jobs regardless
Would he? And if that's true, why haven't we seen a top black manager yet? Rijkard is probably the best I can think of.

Clearly something is wrong. I'd imagine most chairman just want the best person for the job but for some reason, a lot of black players are falling out of football after playing. Whereas for white players there seems to be more opportunities when they hang up their boots.

I was sceptical of the Rooney Rule but it seems to be making a difference over there. I don't see the problem with it over here if I'm honest.

Unread 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Or Brian Clough.
Revie. Hard to swallow having said that, and to a lesser degree Paisley, tbf.

Even Ramsey was innovative in his day. Title with Ipswich, WC with wingless wonders.

Yep, then came complacency.

Unread 10-01-2018, 12:58 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell

Even Ramsey was innovative in his day. Title with Ipswich, WC with wingless wonders.

Go back further and Vic Buckingham had a huge influence in Holland in laying groundwork for their revolution. The drop off from the ‘80s onwards was quite incredible. By many accounts something is finally being done to address coaching. Believe it when I see it.

Unread 10-01-2018, 01:20 PM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell

The coaches were probably too busy noncing to concentrate on improving their coaching tbf

Unread 10-01-2018, 01:42 PM
TheKitchenSink

Quote:
The notable one must be Incey. Yes he’s an utter moron but you’re telling me with his hardman, warrior captain image, not to mention the clubs he played for, it’s not a bit weird that he gets his start with Macclesfield at the bottom of League 2?
This Paul Ince?

Closed Thread