United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-07-2010, 10:28 AM
believe

Default Re: Winter Break

load of %@#$&!s. who would this winter break benefit exactly? england? does this magic winter break produce new exciting players or does it mean that the likes of heskey and glen johnson have a relax?

Unread 15-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Pop

£#%&! that. I want my Christmas football.

Unread 15-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Switching Off

Why are they still going on about this? They've got 2 league games in March; ok so there may be FA cup and european games but two games in one month means most players will get decent rest. £#%&!ing kicking a ball around for 90 minutes a week and getting paid handsomely. £#%&! off.

Unread 15-07-2010, 10:56 AM
florentino ariza

from a football perspective it is clearly a good idea

from a personal perspective it will be shite as i can't escape to the game on boxing day

having said that it provides a new excuse to spend xmas on a beach somewhere hotingtons

Unread 15-07-2010, 10:58 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
from a personal perspective it will be shite as i can't escape to the game on boxing day

having said that it provides a new excuse to spend xmas on a beach somewhere hotingtons
why?

Unread 15-07-2010, 11:02 AM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
why?
because players won't have to play 3 or 4 games in a short period and in poor weather

they get a rest that keeps them fresh for the back end of the season and in our case hopefully a run in and latter stages of cup comps

rest is an essential part of training and we play too much football in this country

Unread 15-07-2010, 11:15 AM
believe

Quote:
because players won't have to play 3 or 4 games in a short period and in poor weather

they get a rest that keeps them fresh for the back end of the season and in our case hopefully a run in and latter stages of cup comps

rest is an essential part of training and we play too much football in this country
but how does having a break allow us to play less games? if you take 4 weeks out of the winter you have to make them up elsewhere. as for helping our case at the end of the season well that's just %@#$&!s. i'd imagine that over the last 15 years the top 2 team in the country have won either the league or the cup and only bad managment in europe and better teams has meant an english team hasn't won the european cup more often.

the only team a break will benefit is england and if we didn't play team football at all englands best first XI still wouldn't compete at major tournaments.

Unread 15-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
but how does having a break allow us to play less games? if you take 4 weeks out of the winter you have to make them up elsewhere. as for helping our case at the end of the season well that's just %@#$&!s. i'd imagine that over the last 15 years the top 2 team in the country have won either the league or the cup and only bad managment in europe and better teams has meant an english team hasn't won the european cup more often.

the only team a break will benefit is england and if we didn't play team football at all englands best first XI still wouldn't compete at major tournaments.
"Believe in taking sense shocker"

Unread 15-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
scrap the league cup, its a waste of £#%&!ing time. Most clubs see it as a hindrance instead of the opportunity to blood younger players.
Or just limit it to football league clubs and not premier league clubs and rename it the football league cup.

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Throw

Quote:

The premier league have always said they'd keep the chocca xmas programme and then the break would start in 2nd week of Jan in order to maintain the tradition.

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:06 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
The premier league have always said they'd keep the chocca xmas programme and then the break would start in 2nd week of Jan in order to maintain the tradition.
That would make sense, but isn't that traditionally when the 3rd round of the FA Cup is played?

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:10 PM
rafabio

Fergie has continuously advocated having winter breaks. Now they are thinking

I am certainly for it.

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:11 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio

I am certainly for it.
Me too.

If they £#%&!ed off an International Friendly or two, they could easily squeeze one in.

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Switching Off

ffs, yet again the FA completely ignore the real reasons behind england's dismal failure and look in to changing something peripheral to the real problem. Really annoys me, they jsut need to give Trevor Brooking £10m and say "Go and build it, and come back in 10 years with a team that can win the world cup".

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:33 PM
red red robbo

Quote:

I am certainly for it.
Which is why he often tries to send key players away for a week or so over the winter. At least he did when we had a squad with some quality in it below the 1st 11 or so.

Quote:

Because the league should also comply with the FIFA rule/guideline that the top league should have a maximum of 18 clubs.

Unread 15-07-2010, 12:35 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Which is why he often tries to send key players away for a week or so over the winter. At least he did when we had a squad with some quality in it below the 1st 11 or so.

Because the league should also comply with the FIFA rule/guideline that the top league should have a maximum of 18 clubs.
Haven't Spain, Italy, Holland, Germany to name a few, all got 20 teams in their top Flight? They just have 1 less cup competition.

Edit: Germany have 18, the rest, including France, have 20.

Unread 15-07-2010, 02:09 PM
rafabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Haven't Spain, Italy, Holland, Germany to name a few, all got 20 teams in their top Flight? They just have 1 less cup competition.

Edit: Germany have 18, the rest, including France, have 20.
Spain have same number of competitions as us. they have copa del rey and spanish king cup.

Personally I feel the winter break is needed mainly to give the players a rest. Premier league is as it is played at such a high speed and intensity, some players are £#%&!ed midway through the season. Fergie has given ronaldo, rooney, nani, anderson (some of the players i can remember) rest during the christmas.

I think as someone made the point before, pitches are clogged up with rain, 4 matches within 10 days, its £#%&!ing grueling. And for united it's more grueling because of the number of high intensity derbies (or matches with intense rivalry) we play.

Also I don't understand some fans when they say they will miss matches on boxing day. I would have though people would like to spend the festival with their families either at home or on a holiday. (personal opinion only).

Unread 15-07-2010, 02:21 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Spain have same number of competitions as us. they have copa del rey and spanish king cup.

Personally I feel the winter break is needed mainly to give the players a rest. Premier league is as it is played at such a high speed and intensity, some players are £#%&!ed midway through the season. Fergie has given ronaldo, rooney, nani, anderson (some of the players i can remember) rest during the christmas.
Schmeichel & Beckham as well IIRC

Quote:
I think as someone made the point before, pitches are clogged up with rain, 4 matches within 10 days, its £#%&!ing grueling. And for united it's more grueling because of the number of high intensity derbies (or matches with intense rivalry) we play.

Also I don't understand some fans when they say they will miss matches on boxing day. I would have though people would like to spend the festival with their families either at home or on a holiday. (personal opinion only).
I think that is precisely why they want to keep the boxing day/new years day games

Unread 15-07-2010, 02:24 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:

Doesn't copa del ray mean the cup of the king in Spanish?

Unread 15-07-2010, 02:26 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Doesn't copa del ray mean the cup of the king in Spanish?
Yep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_del_ray
Closed Thread