Closed Thread

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:26 PM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up Fergie the special one, Keane the

Chosen one, good article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...51&ito=newsnow

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Father Christmas

Keane's a headcase like Fergie so he may make it big in management.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:35 PM
rebelcountyred

Going to be interesting next season with them both in the premiership.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Grimson

"When the story of the Premiership's first epoch is written, Sir Alex Ferguson's name will tower above the rest, regardless of noisy boasts and self-congratulatory chestpounding from relative newcomers."

Truer words never written.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Tiberian

Is it me, or is there something weird about that pic? Massive head and strange arms

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:41 PM
punk_football

Keane is like Fergie was 15 years ago.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_football
Keane is like Fergie was 15 years ago.
The only thing about that that makes me wonder is that Keane was such an accomplished player, and perhaps wouldn't feel he has as much to prove or accomplish as a manager. His place in the history of the game is already secure, whereas SAF set out to carve his name into history as a manager.

That doesn't mean I don't think Keane can be a great manager, but I'd bet the house he isn't still doing it at 65.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Zorg

Thumbs up

Sunderland in UEFA cup in 2008-2009. Guaranteed.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
The only thing about that that makes me wonder is that Keane was such an accomplished player, and perhaps wouldn't feel he has as much to prove or accomplish as a manager. His place in the history of the game is already secure, whereas SAF set out to carve his name into history as a manager.

That doesn't mean I don't think Keane can be a great manager, but I'd bet the house he isn't still doing it at 65.
I think with Roy, he wants to be the best at everything, I think he detests what happened with the 99 team, the way we didn't go onto dominate Europe, I think he is tactically better than SAF but that is only because of his age. I think Roy will be wanted to be remembered as the greatest player and greatest manager, but the only problem is, I can see him losing it with either the board or the player, he wants to win and doesn't care who he hurts in the process

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
gonna put a few quid on it.

Unread 07-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Grimson

Thumbs up

Quote:
I think with Roy, he wants to be the best at everything, I think he detests what happened with the 99 team, the way we didn't go onto dominate Europe, I think he is tactically better than SAF but that is only because of his age. I think Roy will be wanted to be remembered as the greatest player and greatest manager, but the only problem is, I can see him losing it with either the board or the player, he wants to win and doesn't care who he hurts in the process
Can't argue with that.

Unread 08-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
, I think he is tactically better than SAF but that is only because of his age.
On the basis of what? What has he done in his one year in management to suggest that he is already capable of tactically out doing the best around? Or shown that he is capable of man managing a group of highly paid egomaniacs. or shown that he has an eye for a player, he was the one who recommended Liam Miller for instance.

Lot of wishful thinking when it comes to Keane's management credentials. Remember what happened to Robson, similar first season.

It was only last year that Keane ripped part a group of players who have went on to have a fabulous season without his overbearing personality to contend with.

He still has it all to prove.

Unread 08-05-2007, 12:13 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
On the basis of what? What has he done in his one year in management to suggest that he is already capable of tactically out doing the best around? Or shown that he is capable of man managing a group of highly paid egomaniacs. or shown that he has an eye for a player, he was the one who recommended Liam Miller for instance.

Lot of wishful thinking when it comes to Keane's management credentials. Remember what happened to Robson, similar first season.

It was only last year that Keane ripped part a group of players who have went on to have a fabulous season without his overbearing personality to contend with.

He still has it all to prove.
Have you ever thought the reason those players who he ripped into improved because he wanted to prove them wrong. Look at Fletcher and Smith for example, they were shite against boro, next league match Chelsea, Champions at home, they both played out of their skins.

Unread 08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Have you ever thought the reason those players who he ripped into improved because he wanted to prove them wrong. Look at Fletcher and Smith for example, they were shite against boro, next league match Chelsea, Champions at home, they both played out of their skins.
That is quite likely, but it is also true that they felt inhibited by Keane and his expectations of them. Look at the difference in our young players this season, instead of having Keane( and RVN to a lesser extent) bitching at them every time they made a mistake, they have just gone out and played and allowed their natural ability to carry them. The shock tactic you assume Keane used will only have a short term benefit anyway.

I do not think that the current group of players would take kindly to Keane being involved in the management. That punditry session that he did was more about him throwing a tantrum over not being offered the contract he wanted than martyring himself over the falling standards at the club. "Maybe you have to play badly to get offered a new contract" was one of his alleged quotes.

I give the man respect for what he achieved on the pithc, but until he proves that he can handle top players and man manage them he should be nowhere near this club in a managerial post.

Unread 08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
punk_football

Quote:
That is quite likely, but it is also true that they felt inhibited by Keane and his expectations of them. Look at the difference in our young players this season, instead of having Keane( and RVN to a lesser extent) bitching at them every time they made a mistake, they have just gone out and played and allowed their natural ability to carry them. The shock tactic you assume Keane used will only have a short term benefit anyway.

I do not think that the current group of players would take kindly to Keane being involved in the management. That punditry session that he did was more about him throwing a tantrum over not being offered the contract he wanted than martyring himself over the falling standards at the club. "Maybe you have to play badly to get offered a new contract" was one of his alleged quotes.

I give the man respect for what he achieved on the pithc, but until he proves that he can handle top players and man manage them he should be nowhere near this club in a managerial post.

I wouldn't have him yet, let Fergie carry on for another 2 years, see if he can get another European Cup. I would then chose who is doing the best - Club Managers wise, and pick him

Unread 08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Is it me, or is there something weird about that pic? Massive head and strange arms
That's not Roy Keane. It's a statue of him made by some bloke in Southampton.

Unread 08-05-2007, 02:57 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I was definitely the first person on the forum to make that prediction and now everyone is following suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

The great thing about Keane is that he never rests on what he has achieved. He still feels that United failed despite our domestic success because we didn't go on and dominate Europe. He was furious that we didn't sign big name players immediately after the treble. His passion and drive to win is second to none and I can't see him ever failing - he just won't allow himself to. He's got the most incredible winning attitude I've witnessed.

EDIT: Just noticed I said the same thing as punkfootball. Well, it must be true then.

Unread 08-05-2007, 02:59 AM
jem

Quote:
when you say fletch played out of his skin, you mean he accidentally scored and did £#%&! all else.

Unread 08-05-2007, 03:02 AM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
when you say fletch played out of his skin, you mean he accidentally scored and did £#%&! all else.
Quite true. He wasn't even good in that game but people remember it as was of his finest performances.

Unread 08-05-2007, 03:09 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Remember how bad he was at the time
Closed Thread