Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He’s not out of shape.
I guess that really depends on your definition of 'in shape'

Now, I accept that's not the greatest screen grab in the world but it seemed pretty clear that he's carrying excessive bodyfat. And no, that doesn't mean he's 'unfit' as such but given the fact he's always struggled with his fitness and weight, I don't think it's unfair to suggest he's out of shape.

Unread 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Maybe easy before the event

But again, happy with enough with Pogba and Mkhi in the end.

Sane would probably be shite here anyway.
Something immensely satisfying about seeing a left footed winger actually playing on the left. Bored watching the likes of Robben and co spam the cut in and shoot move.

Sane is excellent and the Giggs comparisons are valid imo. Very direct, ups the tempo of the game but is also very team orientated and create first.

Unread 06-03-2018, 06:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Something immensely satisfying about seeing a left footed winger actually playing on the left. Bored watching the likes of Robben and co spam the cut in and shoot move.

Sane is excellent and the Giggs comparisons are valid imo. Very direct, ups the tempo of the game but is also very team orientated and create first.
Love that ability to do things at pace yet look so smooth and in control. Ok enough of this now

Memphis and Mkhi instead of De Bruyne and Sane

Unread 06-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Kangared

Quote:
Love that ability to do things at pace yet look so smooth and in control. Ok enough of this now

Memphis and Mkhi instead of De Bruyne and Sane
Not like City bought any duds. I'll give you Nolito & Navas & raise you a Fabian Delph for Memphis & MickyT

Unread 06-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
I guess that really depends on your definition of 'in shape'

Now, I accept that's not the greatest screen grab in the world but it seemed pretty clear that he's carrying excessive bodyfat. And no, that doesn't mean he's 'unfit' as such but given the fact he's always struggled with his fitness and weight, I don't think it's unfair to suggest he's out of shape.
Try and cap one of his generous buttocks.

Massive.

Unread 07-03-2018, 03:10 AM
shenwen

Quote:
He’s not out of shape. Just like “Fat Frank” wasn’t or Wayne “you fat bastard” Rooney wasn’t either.

Despite what the armchair Mr Motivators think, Shaw wouldn’t have even been at the ground last night if he was “taking the piss” and not looking after himself.
You don't think Shaw has had a recurring fitness/weight issue since he has been at United? You don't think that this *might* be contributing to his lack of appearances this season, even when he is free of injury?

The comparison with Rooney is interesting. Scholes also pointed out the similarities: "With his body shape, he looks like a player who needs to be playing every week. We had Wayne Rooney, who was a player if he missed a couple of games you knew, he wasn’t looking after himself."

None of us know if this is the case with Shaw or not, but at the same time we can't dismiss it.

Unread 07-03-2018, 05:50 AM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Maybe easy before the event

But again, happy with enough with Pogba and Mkhi in the end.

Sane would probably be shite here anyway.
You cannot help being such a weseal.. snide comment after snide comment.

Unread 07-03-2018, 07:18 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
You don't think Shaw has had a recurring fitness/weight issue since he has been at United? You don't think that this *might* be contributing to his lack of appearances this season, even when he is free of injury?

The comparison with Rooney is interesting. Scholes also pointed out the similarities: "With his body shape, he looks like a player who needs to be playing every week. We had Wayne Rooney, who was a player if he missed a couple of games you knew, he wasn’t looking after himself."

None of us know if this is the case with Shaw or not, but at the same time we can't dismiss it.
I think he might be one of those players who just has to work that bit harder because he's naturally bulky. And when he's not playing regularly, as has so often been the case over the last couple of years, it becomes even more difficult.

But that's different from him being a chancer. Again, I don't think he gets close to the recent increased involvement under Mourinho if he's A) genuinely out of condition; B) taking liberties with the advice given to him by the medical staff. I suspect he's training well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
You cannot help being such a weseal.. snide comment after snide comment.
What was snide about that? Said as much as we missed Sane, we were all happy with Pog and Mkhi at the time.

Anyway, you're a low-key bad rep giver iirc. Far more snide and much, much more weasel-ish imo.

Unread 07-03-2018, 07:46 AM
RemisMoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Look for the thread on Sane on here

Edit: http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showth...ght=leroy+sane

First post. Hes like a young Martial Theres only a month between them.

Unread 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM
shenwen

Quote:
I think he might be one of those players who just has to work that bit harder because he's naturally bulky. And when he's not playing regularly, as has so often been the case over the last couple of years, it becomes even more difficult.

But that's different from him being a chancer. Again, I don't think he gets close to the recent increased involvement under Mourinho if he's A) genuinely out of condition; B) taking liberties with the advice given to him by the medical staff. I suspect he's training well.
I don't doubt that he is trying. I wasn't saying he was taking the piss himself. More that the situation itself is a piss take and that a player of his quality is still a bench player. I think Mourinho knows Shaw is a better option that Young, but can't trust him still, both because of his fitness and his tactical nouse.

But again, all conjecture. Who really knows?

Unread 07-03-2018, 11:51 AM
Whip Hubley

Match fitness is one thing, but I really don't see why a lack of matches would see you put excess body fat on. At the end of the day he's paid a fortune to stay in shape and make himself available; surely the buck has to stop with him on that.

If he's 'mentally fragile' then he needs the appropriate help. But at some point he also needs to take some responsibility. If he stays fit and trains hard and still isn't getting games then he's done all he can and is obviously free to move on, but I hardly think there will be a raft of suitors.

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM
believe

Surely everything he eats, how he trains etc is monitored on a daily basis?

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Probably has a secret stash of mars bars and fizzy pop.

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:51 PM
forwardirektion

3 separate mangers have commented on his weight and conditioning. It's clearly an issue.

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:52 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Probably has a secret stash of mars bars and fizzy pop.
There’s no probably about it. Although wasn’t Pally famous for having stashes of chocolate and crisps in hotel rooms?

Unread 07-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
They can only monitor to a certain extent, the rest is 'advisory'.

Ultimately he's the one in charge of his own intake. It's not the clubs fault if he's at five guys after training every day.

Unread 07-03-2018, 01:02 PM
AK14

Quote:
There’s no probably about it. Although wasn’t Pally famous for having stashes of chocolate and crisps in hotel rooms?
Chocolate bars are bigger these days?

Shaw's probably stashing full on galaxy slabs and KFC tbf.

Unread 07-03-2018, 01:25 PM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Chocolate bars are bigger these days?

Shaw's probably stashing full on galaxy slabs and KFC tbf.
and Pally was taller so the chocolate had more space to fill

Unread 07-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Love that story about Fergie going around to his house before a club get together and finding a Mars bar on the table. It belonged to his wife but, he fined Pallly

Unread 07-03-2018, 05:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I don't doubt that he is trying. I wasn't saying he was taking the piss himself. More that the situation itself is a piss take and that a player of his quality is still a bench player. I think Mourinho knows Shaw is a better option that Young, but can't trust him still, both because of his fitness and his tactical nouse.

But again, all conjecture. Who really knows?
Ah right, fair enough. I agree. Such a great talent but it looks like it's all going a bit Ando atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Match fitness is one thing, but I really don't see why a lack of matches would see you put excess body fat on. At the end of the day he's paid a fortune to stay in shape and make himself available; surely the buck has to stop with him on that.

If he's 'mentally fragile' then he needs the appropriate help. But at some point he also needs to take some responsibility. If he stays fit and trains hard and still isn't getting games then he's done all he can and is obviously free to move on, but I hardly think there will be a raft of suitors.
Well, we don't know the ins and outs. His physical condition has been a question since he was 16 apparently, but it's possible that while that would have done for some players with talent, Shaw does work hard to get himself right.

The Anderson comparison feels valid. He got so much stick during his time here, but Fergie loved him because of his enthusiasm for training and work ethic. But his natural body type and the constant injuries made it so tough for him.

Feels to me that what Shaw badly needs is games. Other managers who had concerns over his condition always had faith in him as a player. If anything Mourinho has criticised him more for footballing issues than his professionalism. It feels a bad mix of a player who needs that little more faith and a manager who will always opt for the more physically reliable, steady Eddy alternative.
Closed Thread