United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
armchair

Default Re: Our fixtures until the end of Jan.

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showth...#post15 43624

Unread 10-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Sparky***

Me, Dunk and armchair were the only people who appeared to be living in reality.

Unread 10-11-2009, 07:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
we've all said it but louis saha c. 2006 would be perfect.

this side would be fantastic with a strong, pacy no 9 at the front. who? i don't agree that there are no good candidates, there are plenty. the problem is all of them would be a risk, one way or another.

luis fabiano fits the bill and has the pedigree. would he settle? he's 29 iirc, not like he can spend a couple of seasons acclimatising.

luis suarez looks good but could he do it outside holland?

the names i'd most like to see aren't those, though. i'd love to see any or all of these three over the next few years:

stevan jovetic would be the one i'd most love to see. young, very very talented and has got all the tools to be a very special player.

vedad ibisevic would be a great buy. mid-20s, developed into a great striker now. was unstoppable last season at hoffenheim before he got a nasty injury but looks like he's back to his best now. if bosnia get through to the w/c he'll be a star imo. i can see him going to go to a big side very soon.

alexi sanchez is going to be superb in a couple of years. with giggs getting on and nani nowhere near the quality we need i think he would be a great buy, especially if obertan ends up playing more central a la henry - which i suspect he will btw.

kun aguero has been linked and will probably move from atletico sooner rather than later but personally i'm not keen. great player, but can be hot and cold and i don't think he'd add much to team spirit. probably be looking for a move back to a spanish team sooner rather than later as well.
You seen much of Hulk from Porto? For me, this is a guy who, under the right coaching, could be superb for a side like United. At the moment he doesn't score enough goals and is quite inconsistent, but in terms of his attributes, he has pretty much everything we'd want from a forward. On his day, he's an absolute nightmare for defenders. He has the strength to hold onto the ball under pressure and bully defenders, but he's also very quick and an excellent dribbler with good technical ability. Also works the channels well and works very hard for the team. It's been said a few times over the last year or so that the United coaching staff liked the look of him when scouting Porto ahead of the CL games last year.

Unread 10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
You seen much of Hulk from Porto? For me, this is a guy who, under the right coaching, could be superb for a side like United. At the moment he doesn't score enough goals and is quite inconsistent, but in terms of his attributes, he has pretty much everything we'd want from a forward. On his day, he's an absolute nightmare for defenders. He has the strength to hold onto the ball under pressure and bully defenders, but he's also very quick and an excellent dribbler with good technical ability. Also works the channels well and works very hard for the team. It's been said a few times over the last year or so that the United coaching staff liked the look of him when scouting Porto ahead of the CL games last year.
oh, yeah, completely forgot about him. great name, great player. shrek and hulk up front, unstoppable.

cardozo at benfica is a good player as well. prefer hulk, though.

it would be nice to have a genuine no. 9 at the club to go with all the no. 10s we seem to have.

Unread 10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Dunga called him into the Brazil squad for the England game. Will be a good chance to see him at a high level. He still has a lot to learn. He got his footballing education in Japan and perhaps that shows a little. He's definitely gettying better in his understanding of the game, though, which is encouraging. But he has all the tools, without question.

Unread 10-11-2009, 07:52 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Dunga called him into the Brazil squad for the England game. Will be a good chance to see him at a high level. He still has a lot to learn. He got his footballing education in Japan and perhaps that shows a little. He's definitely gettying better in his understanding of the game, though, which is encouraging. But he has all the tools, without question.
yeah, he really does unsettle defenders. was superb in the away (for them) leg against us, really gave our defenders fits at times.

decent youtube thing here. love the stiff-legged stepovers. very (fat) ronaldo, that.

Unread 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM
S/Side.Red

That video is a pretty good overview of his first season at Porto - great to watch, but ultimately very inconsistent in term of productivity. Despite the obvious talent, he was accused of being far too individualistic. You get the impression that when he was playing in Japan he was so much better than everyone else that he was given the freedom to do pretty much whatever he wanted on the pitch. His appreciation of his team-mates is getting better all the time and, at 23, there’s a genuine effort on his part to improve himself as a player, which is probably the most encouraging thing.

Unread 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM
rafabio

I don't why macheda is not being given many oppurtunities by fergie but he seems to be a no 9 for me.

all the oppurtunities he gets are in carling cup matches when he has owen or welbeck to work with and generally the team itself is poor.

I want to see him given chance in a premier league match with rooney.

Unread 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
I don't why macheda is not being given many oppurtunities by fergie but he seems to be a no 9 for me.

all the oppurtunities he gets are in carling cup matches when he has owen or welbeck to work with and generally the team itself is poor.

I want to see him given chance in a premier league match with rooney.
Macheda is a long way off being a first team footballer for manchester United.

Unread 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Macheda is a long way off being a first team footballer for manchester United.
correct. best of luck to him but not sure he'll ever make it tbh.

welbeck looks a far brighter prospect to me.

Unread 11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
dunk

Quote:
when have we every signed those types of players? fergie's next signings will be similar to the ones he always signs: up and coming players who have quality but are not galactico-type players.
I've been saying that since the summer. We've only signed one or two of the type of players everyone wants us to sign, ever. It's just not how we roll.

Unread 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I've been saying that since the summer. We've only signed one or two of the type of players everyone wants us to sign, ever. It's just not how we roll.
and a good thing too. united have always had a core of english/british/uk players as well.

i think not expecting united to buy numbers of galactico-type players is sensible. that's not the same as saying that united can't or won't ever buy individual big names, however.

Unread 11-11-2009, 11:08 AM
dunk

Quote:
and a good thing too. united have always had a core of english/british/uk players as well.

i think not expecting united to buy numbers of galactico-type players is sensible. that's not the same as saying that united can't or won't ever buy individual big names, however.
No. I expect one of the next big money signings we make to be English. Probably Jack Rodwell. Can't see us doing a load of money on a foreigner over, say 22-23, certainly not one that plays outside the PL anyway.

Unread 11-11-2009, 11:11 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
No. I expect one of the next big money signings we make to be English. Probably Jack Rodwell. Can't see us doing a load of money on a foreigner over, say 22-23, certainly not one that plays outside the PL anyway.
nah, we're going to spend 70 million on douglas costa.

Unread 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
nah, we're going to spend 70 million on douglas costa.
If we can drag his arse out of whatever pub he's currently slumped in.
Closed Thread