United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2007, 11:54 PM
MUFC One Love

I'm sorry, but is it me, as I have said, in certain games, mainly in Europe, Fergie put an extra central midfielder in, i.e O' Shea? I don't get this notion that he keeps it the same but just changes the way he wants them to play. I'm really confused, he clearly puts an 'enforcer' in midfield which leaves us with one less attacker going forward.

TT. It's all well and good with your theory, but it clearly doesn't work, how many years now of poor displays and going out early in Europe? It's clear it doesn't work. I think people come out with that theory far to often, the evidence is there to suggest in Europe we're not the same side, we're not Manchester United, because we have an extra man sat back in midfield leaving one less attacker. I can accept people being told to restrict themselves to a position with a different attitude, but he clearly puts an 'enforcer' in usually and sacrifices an attacker.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:02 AM
Part 36 Offer

He floods the midfield for the majority of European games, as he has done against the bigger teams domestically.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:05 AM
jem

Default he not only

puts in an o'shea, he also banishes one of our strikers to the wing and makes the other one play up against two defenders all game. he's a £#%&!ing useless @#%&! in europe and no mistake. I'd rather £#%&!ing lose with style than wimp out. if we go for it and get outplayed, so £#%&!ing what?

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:09 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
puts in an o'shea, he also banishes one of our strikers to the wing and makes the other one play up against two defenders all game. he's a £#%&!ing useless @#%&! in europe and no mistake. I'd rather £#%&!ing lose with style than wimp out. if we go for it and get outplayed, so £#%&!ing what?
Spot on Jem.

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Tumescent Throb

Well maybe. But I'm looking forward to seeing United on Wednesday. The Porto, Milan and Benfica episodes are behind us now. Rooney will play from out to in again. Only now the thick scouse @#%&! will know what he should and can do from there. And he will switch flanks. And he will shift the strikers for Ronaldo to drive through onto Giggs' pass and stick the ball in Roma's net - as described earlier

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Well maybe. But I'm looking forward to seeing United on Wednesday. The Porto, Milan and Benfica episodes are behind us now. Rooney will play from out to in again. Only now the thick scouse @#%&! will know what he should and can do from there. And he will switch flanks. And he will shift the strikers for Ronaldo to drive through onto Giggs' pass and stick the ball in Roma's net - as described earlier
It's harsh to call Rooney a thick scouse @#%&!, considering he does exactly what you have said every week playing everywhere with the other attackers, but in Europe he is clearly told to stay out wide.

We won't create much on Wednesday IMO.

Unread 03-04-2007, 01:04 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
I hope you're right. I too shall look forward to the game. hoping you're right. however, I expect to be disappointed. again.

Unread 03-04-2007, 03:07 AM
armchair

I love Fergie but it looks like the italians have fooled him into using tactics again.

Saw the totti press yesterday. I thought it was transparent tbh. Don't try man mark me from totti etc

now I read this

"Totti is the architect of everything they do and we have to decide how best to deal with him," he said. "The issue is what we do with our centre-backs and whether we push one on to Totti but we can't let him control the game. It's a tricky one but we have to resolve it as best we can."We are not underestimating our task because it'll be difficult, and it's probably the toughest of all the quarter-finals. It's a game where we'll have to be right tactically because if we're not, we're in trouble."

Oh the dread and horror!

For £#%&! sake Fergie they're shitting having to contend with Ronaldo.

Tactics out the window please.

United unleashed will destroy them.

Unread 03-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Tactics out the window please.
Have to disagree here.

Roma, at their best, play in a very intelligent way with lots of movement and no static point of reference up front. On paper Totti is the lone frontman, but he really plays like a second striker, dropping into the space between the opposition midfield and the defense. This makes it very difficult for the opposition to deal with him. If you're not going to man-mark him you have to decide on the point at which the defenders will leave him to the midfielders and vice-versa.

If you don't work on this you run the risk of Totti being left in acres of space to control the game, or of your players being pulled out of position, leaving large gaps for Roma's midfield runners to exploit (a lot of their patterns of play are based around this).

Given our recent record in Europe I share your concerns about the possibility of negating our fundamental strength, that is: our attacking game, but I think the manager and coaching staff would be negligent if they didn't try to address this issue and get it sorted on the training ground.

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Whalefish

Roma won't be shitting it re Ronaldo. They've got the players to deal with him just like they have the players to deal with our creative midfielders.

I'm more moe worried about how our two slow full backs deal with their attacking threat, in particular Mancini. Oh and O'Sheas habitual inability to stop crosses from coming in.

Perotta will be a handful too if he plays. I think Pizarro is suspended. Thank £#%&!.

4-4-2 in Europe is a tired debate. In all honesty it doesn't work anymore. If we start the team which played on Saturday (minus Vidic of course) we should hopefully give them a good game. That system was very quick and fluid. Chucking Smith in after an hour or so might be a good option. especially against their defenders although I just feel he'd be a red card liability. Then again I have a feeling Rooney will be too.

However as has been said time and time again it makes no odds if those players start and that formation is used (4-2-3-1) because the intent won't be there. It'll be cautious, it'll be slow. We'll play on the counter and have to endure countless pressure and almost certainly conceed a couple.

Edit: When was the last time this enforcer (i.e. O'Shea) was drafted in and started a game in Europe? In midfield too? Off the top of my head he simply pulls Giggs into the middle - who plays deep - and pushes Rooney out wide.

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:28 AM
puressence

i swear i really fancy us to dick these £#%&!ers 2 or 3 nil

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
i swear i really fancy us to dick these £#%&!ers 2 or 3 nil
Arf. It would be nice if we did.

Unread 31-05-2009, 07:14 PM
borsuk