Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone

We get away with murder
if only

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
no the berbatov brigade used it to say he was our most effective striker and you agreed the other day.

i like barry. would have him at united as our squad midfielder but then a player of his calibre should be starting games for a 2nd tier club which he does.
Berbatov played a key role in United winning the league

undeniable tbh, whatever the stats say

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
not but to say fletcher is on a different level to him is just wrong.

barry is a decent player captaining the 5th best team in our league and a full international.

him and fletcher are at about the same level in terms of ability etc.

Barry has finally turned himself into a decent player but it's taken him a long time - he's done some stupid things in his time and his attitude has always been questionable. He could have been a much better player imo, he was a very promising 17 year old but was too easily distracted off the field.

The last couple of years he has performed at a good level consistently but up between the ages 20 - 24 he was putting in some awful performances - my best mate is a Villa fan and I went to a few games around 2004/5 when he was booed mercilessly by his own fans. I remember one game against Birmingham he played left mid and I actually felt quite sorry for him having to put up with all the abuse along the touchline.

Well we wait to see if he can excel consistently in Europe to make a real comparison. I'm sure City will be there soon

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
a hundred grand ffs

it was on a plate
if only you'd've waited
for the blank to pass

But I really wanted to include pure's new phrase.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Barry has finally turned himself into a decent player but it's taken him a long time - he's done some stupid things in his time and his attitude has always been questionable. He could have been a much better player imo, he was a very promising 17 year old but was too easily distracted off the field.

The last couple of years he has performed at a good level consistently but up between the ages 20 - 24 he was putting in some awful performances - my best mate is a Villa fan and I went to a few games around 2004/5 when he was booed mercilessly by his own fans. I remember one game against Birmingham he played left mid and I actually felt quite sorry for him having to put up with all the abuse along the touchline.

Well we wait to see if he can excel consistently in Europe to make a real comparison. I'm sure City will be there soon
some on ri wanted him to replace giggs as a lw a few years back.

one of them doesnt post on this specific forum but is around and pops back time to time

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
borsuk

Quote:
no the berbatov brigade used it to say he was our most effective striker and you agreed the other day.
i said it because it's what i think on the basis of what i see, not because of the £#%&!ing actim index in case you missed it i was taking the piss out of you trying to use the actim index as some kind of evidence in favour of anything.

you're welcome to your opinion, though i disagree. just don't use crap like actim to try to prove it.

Quote:
i like barry. would have him at united as our squad midfielder but then a player of his calibre should be starting games for a 2nd tier club which he does.
well, we agree on that one.

barry is a decent all-round player. but he's the big star at villa, players defer to him, he gets the ball all the time, others cover so he can be creative, allow him to make the passes etc. that's all well and good but it just wouldn't happen at united and he'd be exposed quite a bit. imo. fletcher's control of the ball and his ability to use it in tight areas under pressure has been exceptional this year. to say it's a weakness is just %@#$&!s, plain and simple. and fletcher's tactical nous is a million miles ahead of barry's.

fletcher's play has improved this season, true. but the main change is that people have given him credit for a lot of things he's been doing for a while.

fletcher >>>>>>>>> barry

it's not even close in my book.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg

But I really wanted to include pure's new phrase.

oops okay

which pure is it today?

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
that's all well and good but it just wouldn't happen at united and he'd be exposed quite a bit. imo. fletcher's control of the ball and his ability to use it in tight areas under pressure has been exceptional this year. to say it's a weakness is just %@#$&!s, plain and simple.
not sure about that tbh

I'd use Inter away as a decent example of Fletcher at his limited best. Joined in well all night, but it was noticeable that he regularly slowed us down going forward because he needs too much space to control the ball away from his marker. that night this involved a kind of speeded up version of his old pihrouette(sp) speciality - always backwards as well. probably being harsh, but I did notice it particularly that night. a bit like a kind of midfield nemanja vidic, without the constant back passes to follow.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
oops okay

which pure is it today?
I think it depends on which marlo it is.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Pop

Just looked up from my laptop to see the Breaking News thingie on Sky News. I thought he'd joined us for a second

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Just looked up from my laptop to see the Breaking News thingie on Sky News. I thought he'd joined us for a second
"gareth barry joins maaaaannncccchhheeeessterrrrrrr....OMG! City.

Phew.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi the Red
Barry's a very effective midfielder in the premiership.
£#%&! me - are the BBC looking to replace Shearer on MOTD?

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
£#%&! me - are the BBC looking to replace Shearer on MOTD?
Rossi the red is a fairly average poster on fredtissue.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

fletcher's control of the ball and his ability to use it in tight areas under pressure has been exceptional this year. to say it's a weakness is just %@#$&!s, plain and simple. and fletcher's tactical nous is a million miles ahead of barry's.

dont agree there. nearly every game against good opoosition fletcher is caught trying to turn on the ball. he either turns too slowly or turns while showing the oppisiton the ball. have seen rio shout at him for this on a few occasions.

did it in both legs against arsenal. he also controls the ball going backwards which is something a novice does. watch carrick as he takes a touch to control it but has already thought of what he is going to do next,some times carrick doesnt even take the touch to control, he just moves it on.

fletcher rarely plays one twos and takes four touches when two are needed.

thats the difference between him and carrick and why i put him in barrys catergory.

fletcher tactical nous could do with abit of improvement too because id hazard a guess barry makes more tackles then him and probably runs alot less than him.

fletcher is a decent player. but hardly the world beater you are painting him out to be.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:44 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
a decent midfielder

about fletchers level.

definately worth 11m and is dependable.
Fletcher is 3 years younger so has the potential to improve from a good base so may well get to a higher level if not there already.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:50 PM
dunk

The fat Spanish Waiter won't be happy

Oh, and I never said anything about him being a winger failed or otherwise I said he was a failed LB who showed promise (too slow) and a failed CB ( too small).

Not a bad player, wish Liverpool had got him and sold Alonso last summer, not a bad player for City, definitely not as good a player as Fletcher now, certainly not as a 28 year old Fletcher. An average midfielder overrated due to his nationality.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:52 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The fat Spanish Waiter won't be happy

Oh, and I never said anything about him being a winger failed or otherwise I said he was a failed LB who showed promise (too slow) and a failed CB ( too small).

Not a bad player, wish Liverpool had got him and sold Alonso last summer, not a bad player for City, definitely not as good a player as Fletcher now, certainly not as a 28 year old Fletcher. An average midfielder overrated due to his nationality.
what does that have to do with anything?

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
what does that have to do with anything?
Barry is 28, Fletcher 24, fletcher is already the better player and by 28 will be miles better and will probably have statistics for appearances per season that favourably compare with Barry's at a much higher level.

Unread 02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
borsuk

Quote:
dont agree there. nearly every game against good opoosition fletcher is caught trying to turn on the ball. he either turns too slowly or turns while showing the oppisiton the ball. have seen rio shout at him for this on a few occasions.

did it in both legs against arsenal. he also controls the ball going backwards which is something a novice does. watch carrick as he takes a touch to control it but has already thought of what he is going to do next,some times carrick doesnt even take the touch to control, he just moves it on.

fletcher rarely plays one twos and takes four touches when two are needed.

thats the difference between him and carrick and why i put him in barrys catergory.

fletcher tactical nous could do with abit of improvement too because id hazard a guess barry makes more tackles then him and probably runs alot less than him.

fletcher is a decent player. but hardly the world beater you are painting him out to be.

it's tiresome having to constantly refute stuff i haven't said. i didn't say barry is not good, nor did i say fletcher is a world-beater. what i said was fletcher pisses all over barry, which is true.

i disagree about fletcher's control getting him into trouble, btw. he's no berbatov in this regard, but one of the reasons we missed him so badly against barca was his ability to be in the right place to offer an option to the colleague in possession and to position himself so an out ball is always available. it's one of the reasons why our m/f retains possession so well when fletcher plays. that's what i mean by tactical awareness - he's very aware of the positions of the other players, on both sides, when he's playing. and that's without even going into his stamina, which pisses all over barry as well.

the only areas where i think barry is superior to fletcher is his dead-ball delivery and his long-range shooting. but that's it. the rest goes to fletcher for me, by some distance.

barry would not be a starter in united's midfield. fletcher is. that really says it all, tbh.

Unread 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

28? £#%&!, he'll be 33 next year then. city have dropped a %@#$&! there
Closed Thread