United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2009, 04:40 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it's a derby match between Manchester United and Manchester City, and is arguably the biggest league fixture of the season.

the stats against the next 3 biggest teams are interesting as well. in the 6 league games against Everton, Villa and Spurs:
  • Fletcher and Anderson never started together
  • Fletcher started all 3 wins
  • Fletcher stated 2 of the draws
  • Fletcher scored in one of the draws
  • Anderson didn't start in any of these 6 matches

This gives us an overall picture in United's 14 biggest league games as follows:
  • Fletcher and Anderson never started any of the matches together
  • Fletcher started 10 times; 6 wins and 4 draws
  • Anderson started 3 times; 3 defeats
  • Fletcher scored 1 goal, Anderson didn't score any goals
that is pretty striking tbh. big dazza, eh.

Unread 31-05-2009, 04:50 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
. Anderson contributed for half of last season, at best, and aside from a few glimpses earlier in the season and the last month has not been involved (for whatever reason) yes, he has appeared in some big games recently, but I would suggest that is down to lack of options rather than forcing his way in through performances.
you were saying earlier he was behind both giggs and scholes.
anderson came back from injury and forced himself ahead of giggs and scholes.he forced himself into our strongest 11 for the biggest games this season at the business end of the season.

giggs only started on wednesday because fletcher was banned.

it has nothing to do with a lack of options, its because saf rates him in our strongest midfield trio. as proved by his inclusion in the team in the semi finals and the final.

so you and your agenda need to go and take a long walk.
you are wrong.

regarding nani. has picked in the reserve squad to face hull while anderson was rested to play in the ecl final.... And what... they are both at the same level....erm ok dunk.

what an agenda to have against a young lad.

anderson brings out the know nothing part of you. didn't you once say you would beat anderson up or something like that?

Unread 31-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Baron

Anderson is light years ahead of where he should be. At 21 he's very much an integral part of our central midfield. There's barely any top sides in Europe with a 21 year old in the centre of the park for them. I think he's developing well, it would be very interesting to see him alongside Hargreaves when they're both fully fit & in form. I honestly think we could play a very attacking 4 ahead of those two.

Tactical awareness, a goal, better fitness & a run of games alongside someone in a set formation would help immeasurably - all those things come with age & actually playing week in week out.

This squad thing is a bit of a bitch for short term development tbf.

I reckon he will develop into a Vieira type in the middle of the pitch. He has good feet, a tidy pass on him (although he needs to maintain a bit more concentration, he does £#%&! up some short passes he'd ordinarilly make). His burst of pace & carrying of the ball is also good - it's all the tools you need to make it.

As for Nani... he seems to have regressed. He used to be confidence personified. He just needs some good coaching, they should sit him down & make him watch what he does wrong. I think he'd be much better on the right. I think he'd be much better in a proper 4-4-2 & I think he'd be much better if he was given a run of games. Again... the squad & Fergie's tinkering wont allow such things so where that leaves him I don't know. I think Tosic's arrival bodes well, he needs to grow a pair & get on with it.

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:01 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
it has nothing to do with a lack of options, its because saf rates him in our strongest midfield trio. as proved by his inclusion in the team in the semi finals and the final.
it doesn't prove anything of the sort, or you could say the same thing about park. or o'shea.

we had one major injury and one suspension. if available, i think both hargreaves and fletcher would have been ahead of anderson. or would they? surely tevez and berbles would be ahead of park? and yet weren't...

there's such a thing as form. and tactics. drawing conclusions that player x is better than player y on the basis of a couple of matches is just £#%&!ing moronic.

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
you were saying earlier he was behind both giggs and scholes.
anderson came back from injury and forced himself ahead of giggs and scholes.he forced himself into our strongest 11 for the biggest games this season at the business end of the season.

giggs only started on wednesday because fletcher was banned.

so you and your agenda need to go and take a long walk.
you are wrong.

regarding nani. has picked in the reserve squad to face hull while anderson was rested to play in the ecl final.... And what... they are both at the same level....erm ok dunk.

what an agenda to have against a young lad.

anderson brings out the know nothing part of you. didn't you once say you would beat anderson up or something like that?
I've never said I would beat him up, I mocked your use of the tern 'big' as heks a midget. The fact is Anderson has not 'forced' himself anywhere, and I had him ahead of Scholes due to his decline this year. Giggs has been used sparingly so to say he forced his way in front of him is ridiculous. Fergie wanted to play an energetic 3 in midfield against fast passing midfield in the shape of Arsenal, Anderson was picked for his 'energy' but was the 3rd most impressive of 3 in both games and was withdrawn after barely an hour at the Emirates, he played in the final because he was one of 2 available midfielders. He has not stood out in any game in the last month, he was good in the 1st game against Arsenal but just did enough the rest of the time.

He may well be 1st choice in a midfield 3 atm, what with the options being Carrick, Fletcher and then one from Giggs, Scholes and Anderson. I would say that Giggs would get the nod more often than not though. So to say that his competiton for a place are 34 and declining fast nad a 35 year old winger and he still isn't guaranteed a start says something IMO.

FWIW there were times at the business end of last season where Nani was in and around the first team but Anderson was nowhere to be seen. Could be that Nani has more players appearing and doing well in his position and he has struggled, or maybe that he needed a game. He was on the bench in Rome after all.
I'm not going over my beliefs on Anderson, the reasons for his performances thus far, his future and so on as it is all well documented, I know my opinion and hope my predictions for his future are true.

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:10 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
it doesn't prove anything of the sort, or you could say the same thing about park. or o'shea.

we had one major injury and one suspension. if available, i think both hargreaves and fletcher would have been ahead of anderson. or would they? surely tevez and berbles would be ahead of park? and yet weren't...

there's such a thing as form. and tactics. drawing conclusions that player x is better than player y on the basis of a couple of matches is just £#%&!ing moronic.
personally I'd put him ahead of hargreaves.anderson is a player I'd admire but as most of you remember i not hargreaves biggest fan as a central midfielder.

its seems absence has made the heart grow fonder because I can remember hargreaves playing rw after a few poor performances in cm.

time will tell.

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Default ignoring the Zenit match

• Fletcher and Anderson started 11 times together in all comps
  • 10 wins and a draw

Carrick also started the last 6 of those games:
  • all 3 start; won 5, drew 1

The last time Fletcher and Anderson started a match together without Carrick also in the side was October 29th. Carrick had a run out as a sub that night.

CL knock-out stages only:
  • Both players start (plus Carrick as it happens): 2 wins out of 2
  • Just Fletcher starts: 2, both draws (inc. the dominant display in Milan)
  • Just Anderson starts: 2, 1 win (in Porto) and 1 defeat
  • neither player started at home to Inter

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Fwiw I'd be a bit disappointed if Utd moved Nani on and replaced him with a player like Wigan's Valencia. I'd like to see the coaching staff earn their money with this one, he's got the skills to develop and be a very good winger. Just needs to iron out a few things.

A mate of mine reckons Nani has no pace. I don't understand that one personally.
Spot on Whalers.

Unread 31-05-2009, 06:08 PM
utd99

My biggest problem with Nani is that he doesn't seem to be learning a £#%&!ing thing, and skills without smarts is useless at this level. He comes across as very thick.

As an aside, and mostly in reference to Anderson and Tevez, I think the fact that anyone who has been living and playing in England for two or three years and can't speak the language is a total disgrace. Players, especially on the money these guys earn, should always be looking to improve all aspects of their game, and communication is a crucial part of it. It's a damning indictment on either their intelligence or application.

Unread 31-05-2009, 06:31 PM
borsuk

Quote:
personally I'd put him ahead of hargreaves.anderson is a player I'd admire but as most of you remember i not hargreaves biggest fan as a central midfielder.

its seems absence has made the heart grow fonder because I can remember hargreaves playing rw after a few poor performances in cm.

time will tell.
you what? hargreaves was motm in about his first half dozen games. he wasn't played out of position in moscow because he was poor in cm, he was played wide right so he could use his pace against cole - and he was our best player in moscow as well fwiw.

before his injury hargreaves was, quite frankly, superb for both united and england. the first genuinely dominant box to box player we'd had since keane's pomp. his return will really make a difference to us. and to anderson, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
My biggest problem with Nani is that he doesn't seem to be learning a £#%&!ing thing, and skills without smarts is useless at this level. He comes across as very thick.

As an aside, and mostly in reference to Anderson and Tevez, I think the fact that anyone who has been living and playing in England for two or three years and can't speak the language is a total disgrace. Players, especially on the money these guys earn, should always be looking to improve all aspects of their game, and communication is a crucial part of it. It's a damning indictment on either their intelligence or application.
i couldn't agree more. very poor show tbh.

Unread 31-05-2009, 06:34 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think the fact that anyone who has been living and playing in England for two or three years and can't speak the language is a total disgrace. Players, especially on the money these guys earn, should always be looking to improve all aspects of their game, and communication is a crucial part of it. It's a damning indictment on either their intelligence or application.
good point its bad enough them coming to our country and nicking our jobs and women.

Unread 31-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

tbf Tevez did give an interview in troll english after the Arsenal game

Unread 31-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
you what? hargreaves was motm in about his first half dozen games.

You use this same 'stat' every time you talk about Hargreaves.

Hargreaves had a decent first season. He was good when it mattered and showed there is more to come. Didn't really click as well as hoped with Carrick, but his partnership with Anderson was very promising. He was hardly superb every game though, that's going too far. Not sure I agree about him being a genuine box to box midfielder either, maybe he has the potential to be one, but that was rarely the role he played.

And in reference to the other guy, Anderson speaks english. I think it's maybe you that's the thick one.

Unread 31-05-2009, 06:54 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumescent throb
tbf tevez did give an interview in troll english after the arsenal game

Unread 31-05-2009, 07:08 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether

You use this same 'stat' every time you talk about Hargreaves.

Hargreaves had a decent first season. He was good when it mattered and showed there is more to come. Didn't really click as well as hoped with Carrick, but his partnership with Anderson was very promising. He was hardly superb every game though, that's going too far. Not sure I agree about him being a genuine box to box midfielder either, maybe he has the potential to be one, but that was rarely the role he played.

And in reference to the other guy, Anderson speaks english. I think it's maybe you that's the thick one.
after a couple of years living in england his english is pretty crap from what i've heard in interviews. maybe he's taking the piss - what makes you say he speaks english decently?

re hargreaves i hold to what i said: he was outstanding consistently when he first arrived, just as he was for the national side. memories are short on here, though, so it doesn't surprise me people forget what great displays he put in. '£#%&!ing rapid', 'really gets about' etc was the order of the day back then, though.

Unread 31-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Grimson

I didn't even grow up in England and I speak pretty good English.

Unread 31-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
TBF you can't spell colour.

Unread 31-05-2009, 08:16 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
sneakers sneakers sneakers sneakers :P

Unread 31-05-2009, 08:17 PM
S/Side.Red

There was an interview posted on here a while back where he spoke in English. Seemed to have a decent ear for it in terms of understanding the questions easily, which can often be the hardest part.

Unread 31-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
sneakers sneakers sneakers sneakers :P
I preferred them when they were

tbh
Closed Thread