United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2009, 10:58 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
using essien's calculator?
As I said, depending on my mood, as they are that close IMO, very difficult to leave any of them out of a top 5, and I would leave different one's out at different times.

Unread 31-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Arcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz
Find it amazing how you can keep Gerrard out, but each to their own and all that.
Vieira>Gerrard

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:17 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus
Vieira>Gerrard
I hate Gerrard more than any footballer in history, but that's %@#$&!s.

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Arcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I hate Gerrard more than any footballer in history, but that's %@#$&!s.
Vieira before 2005, flawless. The worlds best defensive midfielder.

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:39 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
but rooney was in the premiership before he was at united

ffs is everyone's brain taking a day off or something?
Right, 1 year more than Ronnie. So we're saying 7 years ok, 6 years isn't?

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Ether

Flawless

Now I can see why you rarely post about football.

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Flawless

Has he ever posted anything sensible or even remotely accurate? Or is he a major wum?

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Adz

Quote:
Vieira>Gerrard

There's having opinions with red tinted specs on, then there's talking complete and utter %@#$&!s.

Gerrards impact on the Premier League this decade is on a different planet to Vieiras, and that's not just because he only played in it until 2005.

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Jez Quigley

Default Without

the Red Tinted Specs - from the 2000 season until now?

Giggs
Scholes
Lampard
Gerrard

are all absolute musts - they've all played in the Prem since then, all won silverware (altho' not Gerrard of in course in the Prem).

As for Lampard - anyone read the SAF interview in the Times about him recently? SAF seems to respect and like him a hell of a lot.

Gerrard has kept Liverpool going over this period - he's been a heck of a player.

My 5th?

Tough one to call - Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, have all excelled at the dominant clubs.

P Neville, Sol Campbell have all shone at more than one club.

However, I'd have to go for the one player who, despite not playing for the full length of time has had such an impact.....

Ronaldo.

Eyethangyew.

Unread 31-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
henry, gerrard, ronaldo, lampard, giggs
Good call - Henry would be in my top 10 for sure. Scholes edges him tbh.

Unread 31-05-2009, 01:04 PM
J_RED

Terry Henry
Claude Ukulele
Stevie Mee
Giggsy
Ronaldo
some five a side team that by BTW ukelele in nets but essentially rush (not Ian) goalie

Unread 31-05-2009, 01:46 PM
MrBishi

Scholes, Ronaldo, Henry, Lampard, Gerrard.

No arguments.

Unread 31-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Arcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Flawless

Doubt you saw him in the flesh, part timer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz

There's having opinions with red tinted specs on, then there's talking complete and utter %@#$&!s.

Gerrards impact on the Premier League this decade is on a different planet to Vieiras, and that's not just because he only played in it until 2005.
Compare Vieiras accolades, they're different players for a £#%&!ing start.
Patrick was clearly the worlds best DFmidfielder in the world around the early millenia, I'm entitled to this valid opinion.

Unread 31-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Arcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Has he ever posted anything sensible or even remotely accurate? Or is he a major wum?
Did you start watching football three years ago you £#%&!ing @#%&!?

Unread 31-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Tiberian

Henry has to be in, no attacking player has dominated like he over a period of time, he was scoring 30 goals and getting 20 assists year in year out. Probably the best player in the history of the premier league, and I say that despite thinking he was an arrogant prat of a man.

Gerrard and Lampard have to be in as well, the dominant midfield players of the 00's, lucky to have their career span the decade, including their prime. Scholes as a player is probably above both of them, but he was starting to tail off around 2004. came back well in 06/07 but his absolute best years started around 98 and went through to about 04/05. Giggs is slightly more difficult in that 2 of his best years 06/07 and 08/09 have come right at the end of his career but there was a fallow period around 03-06 when he was adjusting to new roles because of a physical decline.

Both have an excellent argument to be in the final 2 places but their are quite a lot of candidates. Ferdinand has been the best defender in the league for much of this decade, stands above Terry for me because of his ball playing ability, Ronaldo has had 3 superb years, 1 very good one and 2 of youthful progression, at his best he was officially the worlds best player so I would say he has to be picked, Did not play the full decade but the height he reached that means one more place, Rooney has just had his best season but has not quite yet become the player he threatened to be and not as dominant as Henry/Ronaldo as an attacker, should have a great chance in the next decade if he continues the form he showed this year.

Henry
Ronaldo
Lampard
Gerrard
Giggs, the last 3 years seal it for him.

Unread 31-05-2009, 03:19 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Vieira before 2005, flawless. The worlds best defensive midfielder.
No he wasn't.

Claude Makelele was.

And Keane was a better allround midfielder, ditto Gerrard.

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Adz

Quote:
Compare Vieiras accolades, they're different players for a £#%&!ing start.
Patrick was clearly the worlds best DFmidfielder in the world around the early millenia, I'm entitled to this valid opinion.
Vieira was at his peak in the back end of the 90s when Arsenal first won the double and France were cleaning up in the International game. He started this decade well then tailed off at the back end of his Arsenal career.

Gerrard on the other hand has been conistently one of the best players in the country every season for the past six years.

Unread 31-05-2009, 05:38 PM
sullers

Why does Arcus love Viera so much? He isn't even French ffs.

Unread 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Arcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz
Vieira was at his peak in the back end of the 90s when Arsenal first won the double and France were cleaning up in the International game. He started this decade well then tailed off at the back end of his Arsenal career.

Gerrard on the other hand has been conistently one of the best players in the country every season for the past six years.
I've always questioned his performances for France and his inability to captain the national side, it's irrelivent too. I'm simply refering to his contribution to English football and Arsenal. There was not one midfielder in the country, no not Keane, I'd rather have had around 2002 at United than Patrick. He's clearly an all time great of the premier league. He wasn't bad at Juve to be fair bar injurys etc, but still this has nothing to do with him playing in Serie A.

Unread 01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Arcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullers
Why does Arcus love Viera so much? He isn't even French ffs.
Grew up in Les Ulis from the age of seven, I have a deep respect for the French national sides social background. Multi cultural Europe. Fantastic.
Closed Thread