Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
agreed

but comparing tevez to ole is probably even sillier tbh
I am not comparing Ole & Tevez in terms of playing style, but as much as I love Ole he was nothing more than a great goal scorer who had the knack of doing when it matters. There is nothing wrong with that & is in no way a put down to Ole. That is what he did & he was £#%&!ing superb at it. Just as Tevez is superb at what he brings to the team.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Van Baron
I am not comparing Ole & Tevez in terms of playing style, but as much as I love Ole he was nothing more than a great goal scorer who had the knack of doing when it matters. There is nothing wrong with that & is in no way a put down to Ole. That is what he did & he was £#%&!ing superb at it. Just as Tevez is superb at what he brings to the team.
I think we'd all much rather have a great option off the bench who scores goals than a latino Dirk Kuyt though tbf.

You'll never change your opinion though so long as he is here, but if he plays in the league next year for another team, I'll guarantee you'll change your mind then. & we'll be a better, more attractive, side then as well.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
I think we'd all much rather have a great option off the bench who scores goals than a latino Dirk Kuyt though tbf.

You'll never change your opinion though so long as he is here, but if he plays in the league next year for another team, I'll guarantee you'll change your mind then. & we'll be a better, more attractive, side then as well.
Like who Baron? why let someone leave who already does a great job to bring in someone who may end up as useful as Berbi. I am still waiting for that 30 million tag to be justified. You & all your Berbi lovers telling me what a great player he is, how he brings something extra to the team, how he can turn a game blah blah blah. Only Man City & West Ham at home has he done anything that justifies those quotes for the two goals he set up. For the rest of the season he has been an absolute disgrace. It still amazes me that nobody has mentioned how Berbi can bottle a pen in an interview days before the ECL. Is that the type of player you are looking for?

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:

And what is this "we'd all much rather have a great option off the bench who scores goals" Do u speak for the whole United fan base?

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
borsuk

Quote:
sorry, but that's just %@#$&!s. ole was a lot more than just goal scorer. put in some tremendous shifts wide left for us, kept beckham out of the team playing wide right in beckham's last season. his goals set him apart but if he you think he was nothing more than a great goal scorer then you were watching a different player to the one i'm thinking about.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
borsuk

Quote:
why let someone leave who already does a great job
he doesn't. you may have missed it, but he's been largely shit this season

Quote:
who may end up as useful as Berbi.
chance would be a fine thing

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Sparky***

I have just heard that the fee for tevez will be in the region of £36m!

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Baron

Quote:
Like who Baron? why let someone leave who already does a great job to bring in someone who may end up as useful as Berbi. I am still waiting for that 30 million tag to be justified. You & all your Berbi lovers telling me what a great player he is, how he brings something extra to the team, how he can turn a game blah blah blah. Only Man City & West Ham at home has he done anything that justifies those quotes for the two goals he set up. For the rest of the season he has been an absolute disgrace. It still amazes me that nobody has mentioned how Berbi can bottle a pen in an interview days before the ECL. Is that the type of player you are looking for?
I'd rather have Rooney, Berbatov, Ronnie & a.n.other who has the pace & clinical finishing to make a difference. A quartet that would provide options. A fit Saha type would be ideal. Tevez showed in his first season that he can make a difference, but since then he's been a smacked arse who's whinged about not playing & can only play one way... heads down, slowly, 2nd touch a tackle & then run about like a loon & get hero worshipped for it. I prefer my United players to have a bit of finesse to go with the battering ram style. Rooney does everything Tevez does, only better. So he's that shirt filled, Berbatov is a different option & Ronnie another, we need a pacey finisher to get the best for the team.

Quote:
And what is this "we'd all much rather have a great option off the bench who scores goals" Do u speak for the whole United fan base?
The sane ones, yeah

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
sorry, but that's just %@#$&!s. ole was a lot more than just goal scorer. put in some tremendous shifts wide left for us, kept beckham out of the team playing wide right in beckham's last season. his goals set him apart but if he you think he was nothing more than a great goal scorer then you were watching a different player to the one i'm thinking about.
He put in shifts ? slightlycontradicting your own argument there. I thought that was why people did not rate Tevez, as he only put in a hard grafting shifts.

I knew someone who take offence to me bringing Ole in to this. For £#%&! sake I aint slating the man, scoring goals is what he did best & 90% of the time that came from the bench. There was no better at it, that was what he did best. Yes he did keep Beckham out of the side in 2003 & yes he was playing great football at that time. But that was for nothing more that 3 months in the run that season if my memory serves me correctly. That was not what Ole did best & you know it. If anyone takes off the Ole tinted specs they will be honest in their assumption in that Ole was better as an impact player from the bench, and again for the last time that is NO disresect to the man, I appreciate what his role was in the TEAM

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
I'd rather have Rooney, Berbatov, Ronnie & a.n.other who has the pace & clinical finishing to make a difference. A quartet that would provide options. A fit Saha type would be ideal. Tevez showed in his first season that he can make a difference, but since then he's been a smacked arse who's whinged about not playing & can only play one way... heads down, slowly, 2nd touch a tackle & then run about like a loon & get hero worshipped for it. I prefer my United players to have a bit of finesse to go with the battering ram style. Rooney does everything Tevez does, only better. So he's that shirt filled, Berbatov is a different option & Ronnie another, we need a pacey finisher to get the best for the team.

The sane ones, yeah
I prefer my United players to have a bit of finesse to go with the battering ram style

I would like to hear your opinions on the following United players & legends, none of whom had finese & at times went in a lot harder than Tevez. All in my opinion are great United players.

Mark Hughes
Roy Keane
Bryan Robson
Norman Whiteside
Andrei Kanchelsksis (Slightly different to previous 4, but not what u would call a finese player & not a legend but a great player in my view who was fast & no aires & graces in his play)

A fit Saha type would be ideal

I thought u would provide a sensible argument, how can u deal in If's & buts. next u will be saying how we can build our midfield around Hargreaves (As long as he stays fit)

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Coracao

I'd much rather have a prime Solskjaer than Tevez. Far more of a threat.

And I believe that some actually overrate Solskjaer (well those who put him ahead of Cole or Yorke).

Solskjaer could get in behind defences and when he did, he invariably finished.

The goal two minutes in being a prime example of something Tevez will never do.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Baron

Quote:
He put in shifts ? slightlycontradicting your own argument there. I thought that was why people did not rate Tevez, as he only put in a hard grafting shifts.

I knew someone who take offence to me bringing Ole in to this. For £#%&! sake I aint slating the man, scoring goals is what he did best & 90% of the time that came from the bench. There was no better at it, that was what he did best. Yes he did keep Beckham out of the side in 2003 & yes he was playing great football at that time. But that was for nothing more that 3 months in the run that season if my memory serves me correctly. That was not what Ole did best & you know it. If anyone takes off the Ole tinted specs they will be honest in their assumption in that Ole was better as an impact player from the bench, and again for the last time that is NO disresect to the man, I appreciate what his role was in the TEAM
Ole has a goal scoring record at United that is about a goal every 3 & a bit games. Incidentally the same as Tevez' ratio here. Yet Tevez would be 25 times more expensive, and at least 25 times more £#%&!ing gobby about how he's not part of the United family & should be playing all the time. Compare & contrast those attitudes.

Berbatov will always be the stick to beat Tevez with, but it has £#%&! all to do with him that United wanted him - Fergie lost faith in wanting to play Tevez week in, week out regardless of the success of that season as he saw it as Ronaldo's doing we won all those trophies, not Tevez. As it stands, imo, the best thing for United would be to spread the talents & styles of the front 4 wider by getting a pacey striker that can score. Tevez is the one that misses out mainly because he has a shit touch, shit pace, shit attitude off the pitch that undermines the boss & will cost a £#%&!ing fortune.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Baron

Quote:
I prefer my United players to have a bit of finesse to go with the battering ram style

I would like to hear your opinions on the following United players & legends, none of whom had finese & at times went in a lot harder than Tevez. All in my opinion are great United players.

Mark Hughes
Roy Keane
Bryan Robson
Norman Whiteside
Andrei Kanchelsksis (Slightly different to previous 4, but not what u would call a finese player & not a legend but a great player in my view who was fast & no aires & graces in his play)
Hughes, Keane, Robson, Norm were all superb footballers, they were also from a different era. But we have Rooney to be the hard @#%&! up top thanks very much. Tevez is in no way anywhere near the level of any of those footballers by the way. Either in their United status, or general ability. Which is why he runs around chasing his first touch most of the time.

Quote:
A fit Saha type would be ideal

I thought u would provide a sensible argument, how can u deal in If's & buts. next u will be saying how we can build our midfield around Hargreaves (As long as he stays fit)
You plum

If we had £25m to spend, do you not think we could find someone with the attributes of Louis Saha (minus the shit fitness) to join the squad instead of Tevez?

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM
borsuk

Quote:

'shifts' was referring to his contribution, not his workrate.

i'm not offended at all, i just think your description of ole as nothing more than a great goalscorer is nonsense, that's all. fantastic movement, pulled defenders all over the place, good vision, good delivery, able to beat a man with skill or pace, two-footed, a truly gifted footballer, unfortunate (if that's the word) that he had some spectacularly good players ahead of him in his time at united. and an absolute legend in terms of his attitude.

i agree the comparison of tevez with smith is daft, but so is the comparison of tevez and ole.

Unread 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Baron

Quote:
i agree the comparison of tevez with smith is daft, but so is the comparison of tevez and ole.
Tevez & Smith comparisons are closer than Tevez & Ole tbf

Work rate compensating for lack of talent is the general consensus. Well, my consensus. Ole never lacked for talent, and I'd go as far as to say he had a unique talent in being able to read a game so well & join in immediately, invariably making a difference with it.

Unread 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Shift over, not that I have done much work.

I am off home to ask the wife to put on an alice band, bend over & start talking in a Spanish accent. I think I will give the pouring of scoulding water over her a miss, she may not be too happy with me

Unread 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
borsuk

berbatov has been shite :shakehead:

£#%&!ing hell

Unread 04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Tevez & Smith comparisons are closer than Tevez & Ole tbf

Work rate compensating for lack of talent is the general consensus. Well, my consensus. Ole never lacked for talent, and I'd go as far as to say he had a unique talent in being able to read a game so well & join in immediately, invariably making a difference with it.
One last thing, I never actually compared Ole to Tevez, I used Ole as an example of an attribute that I felt he did best. I never compared Ole to Tevez in the way that you compare Smith to Tevez.

Unread 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Baron

Quote:
Trust me Baron, I don't read all ur post as I actually work for a living, If I did that I would be on the dole.
Quote:
Shift over, not that I have done much work.

Quote:
One last thing, I never actually compared Ole to Tevez, I used Ole as an example of an attribute that I felt he did best. I never compared Ole to Tevez in the way that you compare Smith to Tevez.
You lost your way a bit tbh old man, must be these late shifts

"Bulgarian Bruno" made me crack up though.

You must be dying to leave but you're hooked now, lates again tomorrow... I'll be down the pub after work so you'll either have to chip in during the afternoon or do some work
Closed Thread