United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-05-2008, 10:42 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If neither Hargreaves nor Fletcher play in midfield, I will be unhappy.
If Fletcher plays ahead of Hargo i will be too.

Unread 20-05-2008, 10:52 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
If Fletcher plays ahead of Hargo i will be too.
Considering Hargreaves was purchased with exactly this sort of game in mind, I will be properly £#%&!ed off if he doesn't play.

Unread 20-05-2008, 10:52 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Considering Hargreaves was purchased with exactly this sort of game in mind, I will be properly £#%&!ed off if he doesn't play.
especially given his form. He's also a leader and we're gonna need them tomorrow.

Unread 20-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Carrick and Scholes? Against the physical power of Chelsea? Maybe that is why you pick Park, to sit deep and help out. However Hargreaves can do that job a lot better and gives far more physical prescence.

With Ballack and Lampard bursting forward we need to match them in midfield. Given that Scholes can be a defensive liability against mediocre teams it would be a big ask to expect him to contain Chelsea.

Fergie's team mate, not mine.

Quote:
Anyone else tempted to want Fletcher in there from the off, or is it just me?

I'd be very tempted to start him.

Unread 20-05-2008, 10:56 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Fergie's team mate, not mine.

You don't know that, just pick your team instead of second guessing, it makes more sense really.

Unread 20-05-2008, 01:06 PM
S/Side.Red

.................van der sar.................
brown....ferdinand....vidic.........evra
.............carrick....fletcher.............
...................scholes....................
......rooney.....tevez.....ronaldo.......

kuszczak, silvestre, hargreaves, giggs, nani, anderson, saha.

I suspect Park will earn a place on the bench, though.

Unread 20-05-2008, 01:13 PM
poppy

Quote:
I know this might seem a bit previous, I normally wait 'til the day of the game for midweeks. This being such a huge game and there being a fair few half days etc going on tomorrow thought i'd do it today. anyway i'm going with this:-

VDS
Wes
Rio
Vidic
Senegalese Superman
Carrick
Scholes
The Cougar
Ronnie
Tevez
Rooney

Don't ask me about subs, i'm really struggling with that. Obviously Giggs has to be there along with Krusty and despite having done £#%&! all Saha would also have to be. That aside, there's lot of players to squeeze into 4 remaining shirts.
I'd go with that too. I have a feeling Fergie will go with Park instead of Tevez though. Hope I'm wrong.

Unread 20-05-2008, 01:34 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
I'd be very tempted to start him.
I'd be tempted to hobble him before kick off. £#%&!s sake, we've got scholes carrick hargo and anderson for three spots, perhaps two, and people actually want Feltcher to play? I didn't truly believe it until now but we really are going to lose.

Unread 20-05-2008, 01:37 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I'd be tempted to hobble him before kick off. £#%&!s sake, we've got scholes carrick hargo and anderson for three spots, perhaps two, and people actually want Feltcher to play? I didn't truly believe it until now but we really are going to lose.
Get a grip man!!! United results aren't dictated by views posted here, if they were we'd have finished mid-table.

Unread 20-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Get a grip man!!!

You know what - I'm struggling with that at the moment.

Just got to keep taking a couple of deep breaths and remembering

WE ARE GOING TO WIN

Unread 20-05-2008, 01:58 PM
dodger

Quote:
Get a grip man!!! United results aren't dictated by views posted here, if they were we'd have finished mid-table.
Thanks Jabbers, between you and this paper bag I'm blowing into I should just about make it.

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Rhodzy

With Saha likely to be available I reckon Tevez will start

VDS

Brown
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Hargreaves
Carrick
Scholes

Ronaldo
Tevez
Rooney

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Anderson doesn't appear to be fit, while Hargreaves hasn't been much of a success in midfield. Fletcher tends to play well in these types of games.

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:18 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Anderson doesn't appear to be fit, while Hargreaves hasn't been much of a success in midfield. Fletcher tends to play well in these types of games.
Hargreaves has steadily increased his performance level and influence recently, in various positions. Picking Fletcher ahead of him though cute, would be just plain wrong. Good on you though.

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Rhodzy

The only players in our midfield that can compete with Chelsea athleticism are Hargreaves and Anderson, one of them must start.

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:19 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodzy
The only players in our midfield that can compete with Chelsea athleticism are Hargreaves and Anderson, one of them must start.
Given Anderson's fitness and stamina issues towards this seasons end, it's likely to be the Cougar.

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:19 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
You know what - I'm struggling with that at the moment.
Same here

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Hargreaves has steadily increased his performance level and influence recently, in various positions. Picking Fletcher ahead of him though cute, would be just plain wrong. Good on you though.
Various positions - right-back, mostly - but not the one he was signed for and the one most are presumably putting him in for tomorrow night.

In terms of making an impact as a central midfielder, he's yet to convince Fergie, clearly. I wonder how much football he would have played recently had it not been for Vidic's injury. For me, the fact that he's had to rely on places opening up in defence to get games in the run-in says a lot about his impact in the role Fergie initially had planned for him.

When did he last impress in central midfield?

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Various positions - right-back, mostly - but not the one he was signed for and the one most are presumably putting him in for tomorrow night.

In terms of making an impact as a central midfielder, he's yet to convince Fergie, clearly. I wonder how much football he would have played recently had it not been for Vidic's injury. For me, the fact that he's had to rely on places opening up in defence to get games in the run-in says a lot about his impact in the role Fergie initially had planned for him.

When did he last impress in central midfield?
I personally think this "lack of impact" is more down to the niggling knee injury he's had. recently he's seemed to be better able to play through this and has, though filling in at fullback, for me at least, shown his real quality. Given that his actual position is as a centremidfield and that he's played there for his entire career I'd have no problem putting him in. I honestly think it'd be a mistake not putting his pace, energy and aggression up against what is Chelsea's strength, their midfield. fletcher has become a player who won't let you down these days but frankly for me, he isn't in Hargo's class.

Unread 20-05-2008, 02:41 PM
S/Side.Red

It's shame Fergie didn't get an opportunity to try Hargreaves in midfield over the last few weeks. I think it's more likely he'll get the nod over Fletcher, I'm just basing my selection on what I've seen from both players in that role this season. Fletcher's record in big games is also a factor.

In an ideal world, Anderson starts, but presumably fitness problems have troubled him recently. That or Fergie has been saving him for the final, which is doubtful.
Closed Thread