United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:17 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
didn't he have a bit of fall out with that Loftus-Creek kid at Chelsea too?

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
ffs

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:18 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
ffs

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:22 PM
Tronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Quickly got the lad in shape and quickly got him out on the field. I favour that approach.
Also let Bastian Schweinsteiger take the piss and have lengthy lay offs and trips back to Germany so he could avoid been treated by the club, even though it was pissing off "my captain shall always play"

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Also let Bastian Schweinsteiger take the piss and have lengthy lay offs and trips back to Germany so he could avoid been treated by the club, even though it was pissing off "my captain shall always play"
Those press leaks about Basti being a piss-taker also fooled Mourinho, who admitted the other day that when he arrived he bought into that, but found Schweinsteiger to be the complete opposite. Almost as if the German captain might have been a decent pro after all

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Those press leaks about Basti being a piss-taker also fooled Mourinho, who admitted the other day that when he arrived he bought into that, but found Schweinsteiger to be the complete opposite. Almost as if the German captain might have been a decent pro after all
The greatest manager to ever manage in football fell out with:

Keane
Stam
Becks
Sharpe
Ruud
Rooney
Tevez
Yorke
Leighton
Whiteside
McGrath
Ince
Kanchelskis
Schmeichel

So the whole argument over "Oh he's mistreated him" is pointless tbh.

You thinking the youth have "stalled" under Mourinho doesn't hold much weight tbh and as far as Shaw goes, it's very simple. If he's not up to it, then off he goes.

Far better players than him arrived here and were shifted out because they just couldn't hack it.
Worse players stayed because they were up for it....They put in the effort, the work, the graft and had the mentality to succeed.

Maybe, just maybe, that is exactly what's wrong with Shaw

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:43 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Quickly got the lad in shape and quickly got him out on the field. I favour that approach.
I hope Mourinho can do the same with him but it's obvious the lad needs to grow a pair and quickly.

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
The greatest manager to ever manage in football fell out with:

Keane
Stam
Becks
Sharpe
Ruud
Rooney
Tevez
Yorke
Leighton
Whiteside
McGrath
Ince
Kanchelskis
Schmeichel

So the whole argument over "Oh he's mistreated him" is pointless tbh.

You thinking the youth have "stalled" under Mourinho doesn't hold much weight tbh and as far as Shaw goes, it's very simple. If he's not up to it, then off he goes.

Far better players than him arrived here and were shifted out because they just couldn't hack it.
Worse players stayed because they were up for it....They put in the effort, the work, the graft and had the mentality to succeed.

Maybe, just maybe, that is exactly what's wrong with Shaw
There's not even an argument about whether they have stalled. They have done, both in individual terms and the collective progress in the sense that he hasn't issued a full debut to a single player from the academy this season. All that stuff is beyond argument.

But it's about whether that's a consequence of his style, or just bad timing. I used to give Mourinho the benefit of the doubt on the youth issue because he talked the talk on it. At Inter, then at Real Madrid, then during his second spell at Chelsea. But it's always proven to have been all talk. He doesn't tolerate the inconsistencies of youth - as he all but admitted at the weekend.

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Buck

Like it or not you can't expect "tough love" to work every time and it's not always going to be the correct way to judge a player. Everyone has a different personality and way of responding. A kid who had his progress curtailed by a horrible injury deserves more leeway rather than being labelled weak.

He's infinitely more talented than Darmian and Young and neither of them are here for much longer. Whereas Shaw was brought in to be a long term signing. To nail that spot for years to come. It will be interesting to see how Woodward thinks of the situation as the transfer was questioned by everyone including Mourinho for the money involved. Will he agree to write the player off and what precedent does it set..?

Unread 03-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
There's not even an argument about whether they have stalled. They have done, both in individual terms and the collective progress in the sense that he hasn't issued a full debut to a single player from the academy this season. All that stuff is beyond argument.

But it's about whether that's a consequence of his style, or just bad timing. I used to give Mourinho the benefit of the doubt on the youth issue because he talked the talk on it. At Inter, then at Real Madrid, then during his second spell at Chelsea. But it's always proven to have been all talk. He doesn't tolerate the inconsistencies of youth - as he all but admitted at the weekend.
Wasn't referring to the "academy"

Was referring to Rashford, Martial and Mensah.
Granted, Mensah hasn't got a look in but, the other two have had plenty of chances and opportunities and haven't took them

Rashford is 19. The way you have speak about him, you literally make him out to be like Rooney and Michael Owen at that age......Put it this way, I don't agree

Unread 03-04-2017, 07:01 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

He obviously has talent, but whether he has the mental toughness required is the question. I don't want to be making too much of it, but a lad who needs his mom and mates as a security blanket is hardly inspiring. The leg break would have been tough on anyone, but if the player is also a bit of a ninny, it's ten fold. Kind of player who will do well at spurs or arse if he doesn't shape up here.

Unread 03-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
He obviously has talent, but whether he has the mental toughness required is the question. I don't want to be making too much of it, but a lad who needs his mom and mates as a security blanket is hardly inspiring. The leg break would have been tough on anyone, but if the player is also a bit of a ninny, it's ten fold. Kind of player who will do well at spurs or arse if he doesn't shape up here.
bingo

obviously we all hope he makes it because he's looked excellent in some brief glimpses when he's been fit, but 2 managers now have had similar issues with him.

Exactly the same with Schneiderlin almost. Some players just don't have the mental toughness to deal with playing for united, regardless of talent

Unread 03-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Buck

Quote:
bingo

obviously we all hope he makes it because he's looked excellent in some brief glimpses when he's been fit, but 2 managers now have had similar issues with him.

Exactly the same with Schneiderlin almost. Some players just don't have the mental toughness to deal with playing for united, regardless of talent
Aside from both coming from Southampton, those two completely differ. One is a 21 year old who was bought with the next 10 years in mind - who then had a year taken away from him with injury. The other was expected to straight away make a midfield spot his own but made less of an impact than my avatar.

Unread 03-04-2017, 07:24 PM
taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
He obviously has talent, but whether he has the mental toughness required is the question. I don't want to be making too much of it, but a lad who needs his mom and mates as a security blanket is hardly inspiring.
wasn't his brother on twitter a while ago calling jose a @#%&!? can't imagine that went down well.

Unread 03-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Aside from both coming from Southampton, those two completely differ. One is a 21 year old who was bought with the next 10 years in mind - who then had a year taken away from him with injury. The other was expected to straight away make a midfield spot his own but made less of an impact than my avatar.
I didn't mean a similar situation, I meant (potentially) a similar issue with not having the right mentality, regardless of circumstance.

Although I loved the bastard - and this is prob controversial - Seba maybe also didn't have what it took mentally, because there was absolute no doubting his ability given he was widely recognised as the best midfielder in the world at the time. Or one of.

Unread 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Buck

Quote:
I didn't mean a similar situation, I meant (potentially) a similar issue with not having the right mentality, regardless of circumstance.

Although I loved the bastard - and this is prob controversial - Seba maybe also didn't have what it took mentally, because there was absolute no doubting his ability given he was widely recognised as the best midfielder in the world at the time. Or one of.
I'm repeating myself here but he's come off a broken leg. It's not surprising if he's not 100% right in the head. Not every player suits "tough love" and certainly not Shaw who by all accounts needed a guiding hand dating back from his academy days to when Adkins + Pochettino put him in the first team.

We may not like it. We're of a generation who saw self-motivated, fighting personalities and where every team had three or four captains in it. All this talk about modern lads being mollycoddled "brats" as Mourinho himself said it a few weeks ago - I completely agree...but it is what it is. Fergie's best asset was how he constantly evolved and adapted to different personalities and the difference in culture. If he could admit what worked 10 years earlier is not easily applicable now then so should every other manager.

And sometimes you just have to back talent. Shaw is talented. If he's given a run of games, builds his confidence up and starts performing....then mentality can sort itself out. Similar to the likes of Rose and Walker if you will.

Unread 03-04-2017, 08:08 PM
£#%&! KFC

Shaw is fininished at United

we are signing that Tierney kid from Celtic, we've been scouting him heavily and ready to put a bid in

Unread 03-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC

we are signing that Tierney kid from Celtic, we've been scouting him heavily and ready to put a bid in

Unread 03-04-2017, 08:14 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC

Closed Thread