United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-12-2017, 11:34 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Me too, doubt the club wants any adverse publicity in its quest for sponsors and followers though
If they wanted to avoid controversy and hire Mourinho then perhaps their marketing isn't as strong as we thought.

If we get rid of him then we really are completely £#%&!ed in terms of where we go. A club with no idea of what it wants to do or wants to be any more.

Unread 17-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
If they wanted to avoid controversy and hire Mourinho then perhaps their marketing isn't as strong as we thought.

If we get rid of him then we really are completely £#%&!ed in terms of where we go. A club with no idea of what it wants to do or wants to be any more.
I think it knows exactky what it wants to be tbh. A revenue-generating marketing operation with a football team attached.

Unread 17-12-2017, 12:21 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Is Joe Royal still around?

Pretty much what siders has been lambasted for, for pointing out for about the last 2 years...
I don't think he was tbf . And having that identity isn't easy. It's a fine line: doing things 'the United way' but also remaining relevant and competitive.

Atm, the club doesn't know which one to value more.

Unread 17-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
The tunnel milk thing?

I think he's more likely to lose his job for playing shit football.
José Mourinho’s team are six points better off, at the 17-game mark, than the treble-winning side of 1998-99 that will always be held up as Ferguson’s greatest work. The current side have outscored Arsenal’s Invincibles from the corresponding stage of the 2003-04 season and achieved the unique feat of being widely derided for anaemic football while, in reality, scoring more goals than the 1995-96 Newcastle side that was managed by Kevin Keegan and had the nickname of “the Entertainers”.

Mourinho’s players have 38 points from 17 games and, to put that into perspective, it is more than Ferguson’s teams had managed at the same stage in 16 out of 27 trophy-laden years. It is also more than Arsène Wenger’s sides managed in two of his three championship seasons and, in any other year, it would do just fine for a team that likes to think it has authentic title ambitions. Liverpool have won the league 18 times but there were only two of those occasions, in 1978-79 and 1987-88, when they had a better record at this stage of a season.

#stats

Unread 17-12-2017, 02:18 PM
MOE1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
José Mourinho’s team are six points better off, at the 17-game mark, than the treble-winning side of 1998-99 that will always be held up as Ferguson’s greatest work. The current side have outscored Arsenal’s Invincibles from the corresponding stage of the 2003-04 season and achieved the unique feat of being widely derided for anaemic football while, in reality, scoring more goals than the 1995-96 Newcastle side that was managed by Kevin Keegan and had the nickname of “the Entertainers”.

Mourinho’s players have 38 points from 17 games and, to put that into perspective, it is more than Ferguson’s teams had managed at the same stage in 16 out of 27 trophy-laden years. It is also more than Arsène Wenger’s sides managed in two of his three championship seasons and, in any other year, it would do just fine for a team that likes to think it has authentic title ambitions. Liverpool have won the league 18 times but there were only two of those occasions, in 1978-79 and 1987-88, when they had a better record at this stage of a season.

#stats

Which just confirms just how weak the league is this year.

Unread 17-12-2017, 06:17 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE1948
And the freakish form of one club, who just happen to be one of our main historic rivals.

Seriously, nobody - and I mean nobody - would be complaining much if city had dropped points in just a few more league matches this year.

Unread 17-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOE1948
Statistically our points total would have had us 1st in 4 of the last 10 seasons, 2nd in 3 and 3rd in 3 - MOTWYW

Unread 17-03-2018, 12:53 AM
armchair

bttt

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:03 AM
utd99

Wouldn’t it be nice to feel confident putting the two elder statesmen of the club Fergie and Charlton in charge of football matters and leaving Woody in charge of financing?

How can we do that when Fergie hired Moyes? What a horror show of a decision that was.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:12 AM
Chris Quayd

Big fan of Allegri but after the last two lifeless saps there's a strong case for young and hungry,

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:14 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Big fan of Allegri but after the last two lifeless saps there's a strong case for young and hungry,

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:16 AM
andyroo

The sages all like Sarri at Napoli but they are losing their way just a little at the pointy end of the season. I know, whereas us etc, but yeah. I like his team but don't really watch them enough to have cultivated strong opinions.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:17 AM
armchair

my number one pick would be keane.

since fergie retired there seems to be an ethos of it's just another club. almost trying to drag us down to the level of clubs that have never won anything. I know it would be a disaster but I'd love roy to come in, slap some heads, then leave.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:18 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Second in the league, last 16 of CL, Qf's of the league cup..... winning mentality...

Best defence in the league conceding only 11 goals...

He's made them better...

Tuanzabe, he's a centre back....

Been good since Newcastle and has looked very good...

The PL is utter £#%&!ing garbage btw.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:25 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Poch seems to be the stand out candidate in that regard, especially as he knows the league already but the size of the club is overwhelming.

I think provided we are smart, getting the squad where it needs to be is within our financial grasp this summer but throwing someone who's only managed at Spurs and Espanyol into an environment of having to compete with city, with Liverpool a potential threat next year and no doubt rejuvenated Chelsea is a huge risk. His lack of trophies don't bother me as much as lack of pedigree at a top club.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:34 AM
ScarFace

Just want somebody who isn't so scared of letting in a goal, they're willing to either ruin the game or not even bother trying to win.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:36 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Poch seems to be the stand out candidate in that regard, especially as he knows the league already but the size of the club is overwhelming.

I think provided we are smart, getting the squad where it needs to be is within our financial grasp this summer but throwing someone who's only managed at Spurs and Espanyol into an environment of having to compete with city, with Liverpool a potential threat next year and no doubt rejuvenated Chelsea is a huge risk. His lack of trophies don't bother me as much as lack of pedigree at a top club.
It is a concern. My hope is that not only is he a strong character and quickly builds good relationships with players, but United's doesn't seem a troublesome dressing room. Lads at Madrid and Chelsea have been known to destroy a manager with a lesser reputation. For their many failings, I do think ours are a decent bunch and Poch would be respected by them.

His ideas clearly work in England, both in terms of motivation and tactics. The fact that being "Spursy" is now narrowly losing European Cup ties to Juventus and having to settle for just for 3/4th says a lot about the ever increasing standards he is setting there.

Plus, there just aren't many other obvious choices

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:36 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Just want somebody who isn't so scared of letting in a goal, they're willing to either ruin the game or not even bother trying to win.
Seem to recall you calling Mou a ‘God’?

You got what you wished for..

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:38 AM
S/Side.Red

Talking

Quote:
Seem to recall you calling Mou a ‘God’?

You got what you wished for..
No need.

Unread 17-03-2018, 01:40 AM
dunk