United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-03-2018, 09:45 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
No but seriously, why is he so shit?
He used to play alongside Ozil and Ramsey, now he has to play with Fellaini and Lingard maybe?

Unread 14-03-2018, 10:22 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
No but seriously, why is he so shit?
He was never that good to begin with? Always scurried about a lot and capable of the odd moment of brilliance, but I never felt it was enough to justify the hype he got. He’s got the right mentality, he was trying to get everyone going and tear-arsing around in the first half last night, it’s just that he’s not as quick as he was and without that pace he’s half the threat. And he’ll get worse.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:09 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He was never that good to begin with? Always scurried about a lot and capable of the odd moment of brilliance, but I never felt it was enough to justify the hype he got. He’s got the right mentality, he was trying to get everyone going and tear-arsing around in the first half last night, it’s just that he’s not as quick as he was and without that pace he’s half the threat. And he’ll get worse.
You were pleased we signed him ffs....

Love a backtrack you do, pal.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:14 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

I was hoping he'd be the filip the side needed. Look back on the many times we were linked with Sanchez, even last summer, and I didn't want him. Never been a massive fan.

I do admit to being a bit caught up in the nicked him from under City's nose narrative

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:15 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

I think dunk was one of the dissenting voices actually. Presumably the player's age was a factor.

For my part I wasn't as enthused as some but my main problem isn't so much what he's not doing as what exactly we want him to do. What was the earthly point of signing him?

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:15 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
I was hoping he'd be the filip the side needed. Look back on the many times we were linked with Sanchez, even last summer, and I didn't want him. Never been a massive fan.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:18 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I think dunk was one of the dissenting voices actually. Presumably the player's age was a factor.

For my part I wasn't as enthused as some but my main problem isn't so much what he's not doing as what exactly we want him to do. What was the earthly point of signing him?
2 reasons, for me.. Stop City from getting him and for the story. Secondly, because he's another player who can produce something from nothing and should offer consistency as he's at his peak.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:18 AM
shenwen

Quote:

I thought it was a good signing IF he was being brought in to give us the balance on the right we have been crying out for. Our esteemed manager obviously had different ideas.

I never watched him much at Arsenal tbh. From what I see now, he’s a good player. He gets the ball moving and has tons of energy. But he is also untidy at times, and gives the ball away a lot. Must have surprised him to come on to such a slow moving team though.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:21 AM
MJ Ramone

yet another player that we have to keep making excuses for & keep our fingers crossed that he'll improve.
Is it too much to ask that one of these "worldies" actually play well & improve the team straight away??

He's pushing 30 ffs ...there isn't a settling in period at that age.

..having said that I definitely agree that it doesn't help having to play in such a slow, uninspiring team every £#%&!ing week.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Stickman

Quote:

I do admit to being a bit caught up in the nicked him from under City's nose narrative
Your take in him mirrors mine, always thought he was overrated myself but did still think he’d come and make a quick impact, especially given how seemingly desperate he was to get out of there.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:37 AM
dunk

Was funny when Martial came on and we had Rashford, Martial and Sanchez all wanting to be in that left channel, practically running into each other, for the last 5 minutes

So, so unbalanced.

It was that bad that I was calling for Mata to come on for Sanchez after an hour.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:51 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:

Apparently Mourinho felt the Club was lacking an ageing player on a stupidly expensive contract since binning Rooney off in the summer.

We'll be paying 60 -75% of his wages for him to play somewhere else at some point in the next two seasons nqat.

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:52 AM
believe

Quote:
2 reasons, for me.. Stop City from getting him and for the story. Secondly, because he's another player who can produce something from nothing and should offer consistency as he's at his peak.
We really showed them

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:52 AM
waynes ear's

Sanchez losing the ball when trying to create something is absolutely the least of United's problems. Typical Fred

the back four are £#%&!ing shit and until they are replaced Mourinho will continue to be a massive @#%&!

Unread 14-03-2018, 11:57 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Sanchez losing the ball when trying to create something is absolutely the least of United's problems. Typical Fred

the back four are f***ing shit and until they are replaced Mourinho will continue to be a massive @#%&!
He's spent 60 million on centre halves and even he thinks one of them is shit. You can shield a back four by passing like the local blind school and constantly losing the ball 10 yards in front of them or do what City do and keep the ball for 80% of the game while scoring lots and lots of goals.

Unread 14-03-2018, 12:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
Apparently Mourinho felt the Club was lacking an ageing player on a stupidly expensive contract since binning Rooney off in the summer.

We'll be paying 60 -75% of his wages for him to play somewhere else at some point in the next two seasons nqat.
It's looking that way. Siders was at pains to point out that his age, the amount of football he's played and his style weren't conducive to being effective into his 30's..

Looks like he's lost a yard of pace from his pomp already tbh. Doesn't strike me as having the style to adjust to being slow..

Unread 14-03-2018, 12:03 PM
wiganste

Should have been hauled off at half time. He had no idea what he was supposed to be doing.

Unread 14-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
yeah he still has the muscle memory of playing at arsenal. at arsenal someone could play the ball to him and he could just turn it around the corner knowing the player had continued their run. At United they don't make that run and he ends up looking stupid.
Similar to di maria when he first joined. I recall him making a pass and move in order or receive it back quickly. The player he passed to just dawdled on the ball and picked a safe pass to someone else. A few weeks later Di Maria had stopped making the moves.

Quote:
That suggests it was more a commercial signing rather than a mourinho one. Which I can’t imagine him being too happy about. Then again, it would provide an explanation for what’s happened since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I thought it was a good signing IF he was being brought in to give us the balance on the right we have been crying out for. Our esteemed manager obviously had different ideas.
This. Crazy to sign a forward and not play them in the position we needed strengthening, whilst disrupting a position we were well stocked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
He's spent 60 million on centre halves and even he thinks one of them is shit. You can shield a back four by passing like the local blind school and constantly losing the ball 10 yards in front of them or do what City do and keep the ball for 80% of the game while scoring lots and lots of goals.
Bailley is class. The only defender we have who is close to the same bracket of the defenders we used to have. As for the other one, do we know he bought him for instant impact or as one for the future? Jury is still out on him until next season.

Unread 14-03-2018, 12:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
That suggests it was more a commercial signing rather than a mourinho one. Which I can’t imagine him being too happy about. Then again, it would provide an explanation for what’s happened since.
Mourinho would've wanted him for the second reason posted, he was just wrong/misguided.

Btw, if you want to protect the defence, rather then telling them to sit on the edge of their own area and cede possession, it would probably be better to actually pick a midfield and attempt to control the ball and territory.

Unread 14-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Mourinho would've wanted him for the second reason posted, he was just wrong/misguided.
Damage his own squad balance and take 90m from his summer budget to piss off city?

Quote:
Btw, if you want to protect the defence, rather then telling them to sit on the edge of their own area and cede possession, it would probably be better to actually pick a midfield and attempt to control the ball and territory.
Yeah, worked wonders for van gaal in winning over the support.

The only option is to replace them. Because none of the workarounds are satisfactory. Which seeems to have been part of his plan. Get the weak spine sorted in midfield and attack, and in defence with bailley, then fully sort the defence.
Closed Thread