magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Insanity
We'd be in the European Cup Final if Saha wasn't such a bottler/loon

NFT
Agree.

Unread 16-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Tropical

we're not in the European Cup final has almost nothing to do with Saha. He could have played from the start in Milan and it wouldn't have helped us. And his playing in the first leg wouldn't have stopped them scoring twice, either.

It was a desperately poor team performance in Milan, and a desperately poor managerial and coaching performance. Everybody involved has to take responsibility, Saha included. But to pin it exclusively on him is not just unfair. It's ludicrous.

Unread 16-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
we're not in the European Cup final has almost nothing to do with Saha. He could have played from the start in Milan and it wouldn't have helped us. And his playing in the first leg wouldn't have stopped them scoring twice, either.

It was a desperately poor team performance in Milan, and a desperately poor managerial and coaching performance. Everybody involved has to take responsibility, Saha included. But to pin it exclusively on him is not just unfair. It's ludicrous.
The whole Raison D'etre of Fergie's new system was having a quick and mobile striker up front for Europe. Saha was the player, and we all know what happened.

Smith is a good player, but not "that" player.

Fergie based his entire team around Saha being in it, unfortunately Saha went la-la land and the rest is history.

Unread 16-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Tropical

That explains the disaster at home to Roma when Smith played up front.

The problem away to Milan was that we were pinned back from the start, shellshocked, outplayed, and never looked remotely like getting into the game. The players didn't know how to cope; the manager and coaches didn't know how to respond. Our play got narrower and narrower, what little attacking impetus we had (when we managed to get past their midfield) broke down outside the box, we were too scared to pass imaginatively let alone accurately, too scared to get the ball to our own danger men, and too damn scared to even defend. Having Louis Saha on would not have done us the slightest bit of good. And indeed, when he did finally come on, it didn't.

Unread 16-05-2007, 10:38 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
That explains the disaster at home to Roma when Smith played up front.

The problem away to Milan was that we were pinned back from the start, shellshocked, outplayed, and never looked remotely like getting into the game. The players didn't know how to cope; the manager and coaches didn't know how to respond. Our play got narrower and narrower, what little attacking impetus we had (when we managed to get past their midfield) broke down outside the box, we were too scared to pass imaginatively let alone accurately, too scared to get the ball to our own danger men, and too damn scared to even defend. Having Louis Saha on would not have done us the slightest bit of good. And indeed, when he did finally come on, it didn't.
I dunno, when Saha's fit, we play a proper 4-2-3-1 formation. His pace keeps the opposition defence pegged back. The way Milan's full backs were piling forward, just wouldn't have been on.

Sure, Rooney's quick-ish and Ronaldo's very quick but you also need a bit of awareness to be able to take advantage of such a situation.

Saha is a very intelligent player for me too. Both of the above, well, aren't particularly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the latter is a fairly blunt instrument.

Smith might have played and at least ensured the formation was right but same problem as the other too.

Mind, Giggs was probably meant to have filled that gap left by the likes of Saha (as Larsson did for a spell) but decided it was a game too far for him at this stage of his career or something. Terminally bad on the night.

We all knew about the limitations of our back four and the likes of myself always suspected a midfield including Scholes wouldn't cut it at the business end of the season but that frontline should have been better and it might have made a difference.

Anyway, spilt milk etc, I think Rossi is a crafty little player and he'll be a benefit next year, regardless of what else happens in the summer.

If (and it's not much of an if) we're skint, I think Kevin Doyle at £7m odd would be a very nice signing. Quick and one of the most intelligent players about. Great goalscoring record at all levels and provides something of an aerial threat. Teddy with pace I'd describe him.

Unread 16-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Saha for Newcastle in swap deal for Owen.

You read it here first.

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy

You read it here first.
Didn't he play for them before Fulham ???

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:27 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy

You read it here first.
Yeah, cause Owen isn't injured all the time is he?

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:27 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo
Didn't he play for them before Fulham ???
Yeah.

on loan.

Scored the winner at Blackburn.

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Tiberian

Owen would be a backward step, the midget version of RVN, offers nothing outside of goals, can not hold the ball up, is not creative, no physical power and is not as quick as he was.

Good finisher, but not the type of player we should be looking at.

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:40 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Owen would be a backward step, the midget version of RVN, offers nothing outside of goals, can not hold the ball up, is not creative, no physical power and is not as quick as he was.

Good finisher, but not the type of player we should be looking at.
Disagree about the good finisher.Always considered him fairly poor on converting the amount of chances he had.Mr Blooby was far more lethal for the scousers

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:43 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Disagree about the good finisher.Always considered him fairly poor on converting the amount of chances he had.Mr Blooby was far more lethal for the scousers
fowler was a @#%&! ..but the best finisher bar ruud ive seen in the last 20 years

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:45 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
He's the biggest 'form player' I think I've ever seen.

I know everyone is a form player in one sense. But Owen more so than anyone.

If he's off he's terrible and just oozes self doubt. When he's on he looks like he'll convert any chance that comes his way.

Unread 17-05-2007, 11:47 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
fowler was a @#%&! ..but the best finisher bar ruud ive seen in the last 20 years
I was watching WBA last night and was thinking what a brilliant goalscorer Kevin Phillips is.

For pure 'knowing where the net is' there's been few better in the last 10 years or so. Should've done so so much more in the Premiership.

Seriously.
Closed Thread