United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-06-2018, 10:03 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
In fairness look where trying to be clever with Lindelof got us.

United have needed to break the bank for a top centre-half since Rio and Vidic left. When they both went we all wanted Hummels. Four years later and that void still hasn't really been properly addressed. Whether Alderweireld is quite as good as hyped is another matter, but tbh after a few years of trying to unearth a great CB I'm in favour of paying silly money for the best finished article we can get.
If the argument is that Alderweireld and Vertonghen are clearly better than we have and their fullbacks are clearly better than we have and we accept that Hugo Lloris is top 10 in the world as a keeper, why is it they're defensive record isn't markedly better than ours, it certainly isn't £70million better. He might be a better footballer (although his pass completion isn't any better than we already have either) but he's not any better defensively.

I rate Alderweireld, I wanted us to sign him when he left Southampton, but £70million for a 30 year old centre half is £#%&!ing nonsense, Vidic was done at Prem level by 33, Ferdinands legs were going when Fergie retired. I'd rather pay big money for someone like Koulibaly, at least you're going to get his best years.

Unread 12-06-2018, 06:37 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
If the argument is that Alderweireld and Vertonghen are clearly better than we have and their fullbacks are clearly better than we have and we accept that Hugo Lloris is top 10 in the world as a keeper, why is it they're defensive record isn't markedly better than ours, it certainly isn't £70million better. He might be a better footballer (although his pass completion isn't any better than we already have either) but he's not any better defensively.

I rate Alderweireld, I wanted us to sign him when he left Southampton, but £70million for a 30 year old centre half is £#%&!ing nonsense, Vidic was done at Prem level by 33, Ferdinands legs were going when Fergie retired. I'd rather pay big money for someone like Koulibaly, at least you're going to get his best years.
I guess they have to do their homework on him. He's 29; almost exactly three years younger than Sergio Ramos and if he holds up as well as Ramos over the next 3-4 years we'll get his best years. He's not a player with loads of miles on the clock either. Didn't break in exceptionally young at Ajax and since leaving he's had a couple of seasons where he didn't play much: at Atletico and last season.

So all about making that assessment from a physical point of view. But top defenders aren't easy to come by at the moment. If Mourinho thinks he's the best out there, then surely he'd rather overpay than do another hit and hope with someone he rates lower.

As for your opening point, they don't play as cautiously as we do. Our back five in their approach probably concede more.

Unread 12-06-2018, 07:28 AM
The Stella Fella

We laughed when the bitters spent £50m on Stones and the dippers £70m on Dick van Dyke.

Wow

Unread 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM
dragflick

Quote:

Just turned 29.

Unread 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Just turned 29.
Obsession with adding a year or so on to any player over 27 on here

Unread 12-06-2018, 11:13 AM
windy waffles

Who gives a £#%&! if he is 29. It's 2018 and players are fitter than they were 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Defenders can play at the highest level until they are 33/34. If we get 4 good years out of him, he will be worth the money.

Sign him up.

Unread 12-06-2018, 11:27 AM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Just turned 29.
Will he be 30 before the end of next season? You don't pay £70million for the last 3 years of someone's career, unless they're a perennial balon d'Or contender, Alderweireld isn't that he's a top end Prem defender.

There are as good or better out there for less or at worst the same money. There are bigger holes in the team that we could fill for the same money.

Unread 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Who gives a £#%&! if he is 29. It's 2018 and players are fitter than they were 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Defenders can play at the highest level until they are 33/34. If we get 4 good years out of him, he will be worth the money.

Sign him up.
This.

People still crying about money ffs "Ohhh wouldn't pay that much, maybe £10m less, we could invest that elsewhere or keep it for a rainy day..." £#%&! off. He's one of the best in the league, sign the @#%&! up and get another Official Soup sponsor to make up the difference.

Unread 12-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
People still crying about money ffs "Ohhh wouldn't pay that much, maybe £10m less, we could invest that elsewhere or keep it for a rainy day..."
The glazers love being wasteful with money. Absolutely love it they do.

Unread 12-06-2018, 05:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Will he be 30 before the end of next season? You don't pay £70million for the last 3 years of someone's career, unless they're a perennial balon d'Or contender, Alderweireld isn't that he's a top end Prem defender.

There are as good or better out there for less or at worst the same money. There are bigger holes in the team that we could fill for the same money.
Mourinho may disagree. He may think he’s the best we could get. So the logic is easier to understand given we have paid £30-35m for CBs who have proved unreliable for whatever reason. Might be time to bite the bullet and just get someone the manager thinks is a dead cert.

He’s always been a big talent. He’d find it tough to justify a £70m price tag and I tend to agree with you that I’d rather spend it elsewhere. The CBs often felt like scapegoats last season after games in which the midfield lost control and forwards didn’t produce.

As you suggest, we didn’t leak loads of goals last year. To what extent is he going to be a difference maker in terms of catching City, ahead of a world class midfielder or forward.

Unread 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
The glazers love being wasteful with money. Absolutely love it they do.
<insert your dodgy ethnic stereotype here>

Unread 12-06-2018, 05:37 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
<insert your dodgy ethnic stereotype here>

Unread 12-06-2018, 06:21 PM
ScarFace

Duncan Castles : Daniel Levy is looking for £75m for Toby Alderweireld. United are happy to walk away and look elsewhere. He is not a top transfer target.

Unread 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Mourinho may disagree. He may think he’s the best we could get. So the logic is easier to understand given we have paid £30-35m for CBs who have proved unreliable for whatever reason. Might be time to bite the bullet and just get someone the manager thinks is a dead cert.

He’s always been a big talent. He’d find it tough to justify a £70m price tag and I tend to agree with you that I’d rather spend it elsewhere. The CBs often felt like scapegoats last season after games in which the midfield lost control and forwards didn’t produce.

As you suggest, we didn’t leak loads of goals last year. To what extent is he going to be a difference maker in terms of catching City, ahead of a world class midfielder or forward.
With all the money floating around I really don't understand that within the context of football right now we don't just get a top cb, full back, midfielder and forward

Literally just buy the best and move on. What's the point of getting to the end of next year saying we were something short again. Time is really up on that excuse...

Unread 12-06-2018, 06:45 PM
MUFC One Love

He will be a United player before the start of the season. Top player too.

Unread 12-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
With all the money floating around I really don't understand that within the context of football right now we don't just get a top cb, full back, midfielder and forward

Literally just buy the best and move on. What's the point of getting to the end of next year saying we were something short again. Time is really up on that excuse...
Tricky at CB because beyond a few established names who would be extremely difficult to get you are looking at a lot of players who appear to be at a similar level. Alderweireld while being injured and unplayable because of contract issues has been anointed as the best CB in the league, but then again 18 months ago Koscielny was being called that. He is good but if you are paying 70 mill for a soon to be 30 year old he needs to be undoubtedly world class, and an instant difference maker. Perhaps he is that and he just needs the right team and platform to show it.

Will have a lot to live up to if he does sign though, not only will he have to improve the defense but plenty of fans I talk to are certain that a ball playing CB automatically makes Utd a far more dangerous attacking unit.

Smalling ending up as the most reliable CB again by the end of the season is not that far a stretch, as depressing as it may be for some.

Unread 13-06-2018, 08:43 AM
dunk

Who the £#%&! ever said Koscielny is the best CB in the league at any point?

Whoever it was needs a £#%&!ing slap.

Unread 13-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Stickman

Koscielny wouldn’t have even ever been first choice for us - absolute shit

Unread 13-06-2018, 10:52 AM
My Name is Heath

Sick of this now.

Forget Aldi Werewolf.

Buy James Polishnameowski.

FFS Woody. Sort it out.

Unread 13-06-2018, 11:05 AM
waynes ear's

£#%&!ing hell. deals done, medical done and will be announced after the world cup

£55mill
Closed Thread