United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-02-2016, 01:58 AM
Alex Jones was Right

It's batshit mental that he seems to have been constantly criticised during his time in Madrid despite his goalscoring feats.

Unread 28-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It's batshit mental that he seems to have been constantly criticised during his time in Madrid despite his goalscoring feats.
They have standards and want to win things. Compare to half the happy clappers at OT singing "White Pele" after Rooney comically tries to control a ball coming at him from anything further than 20 yards.

The truth is that despite all the goals, his time there has mostly been a failure. One league title in 7 years. For most of that time the team has been set up for him and so he has to take some blame when it doesn't work.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:11 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
They have standards and want to win things. Compare to half the happy clappers at OT singing "White Pele" after Rooney comically tries to control a ball coming at him from anything further than 20 yards.

The truth is that despite all the goals, his time there has mostly been a failure. One league title in 7 years. For most of that time the team has been set up for him and so he has to take some blame when it doesn't work.
He's averaged over 50 goals a season for them. If they've underachieved in that period it sure as hell isn't his fault.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Venceremos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

You're not seriously suggesting Ronaldo is beneath theirs, or anyone elses standards? He's an all time great! and his time there has not been a failure in the slightest... he became a bigger superstar, has won all the trophies and set a dozen records.

The joy some people (not necc you Lok) will get from this legendary players natural decline due to age is going to be miserable to witness.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok

The comparison to Messi is always there as well. The perception is that Messi makes the players around him better while Ronaldo is far more self orientated.

I doubt it is as black and white as that but just on a personnel level I enjoyed watching Ronaldo far more before he turned into a pure goalscorer. The debates will start again over taking him back if he was available, he is still one of the top 5 in the world but as with Zlatan I think Utd would be better served building around younger players, looking for the next superstars. In Martial we look to have found one, how long before Madrid are sniffing around him? If he has a breakthrough international tournament in the summer the rumours will start.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Lok

I love Ronaldo and would welcome him back at OT tomorrow. Would probably drive him there myself.

It's hard to take seriously the amount of goals he scores in that league because 9 matches out of 10 they're playing against pub teams.

But his time there has been a failure. The whole team has to be based around Ronaldo and it hasn't worked. I'm not saying that it's his fault but that is what has happened and it's failed.

The 'standards' comment was a response to him being booed this season. He's not playing well enough and the fans are letting him know. If you believe all the stories you read then it sounds like he's not particularly focussed any more and whilst it's probably just paper talk it's easy to see that things aren't as they were.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:20 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The comparison to Messi is always there as well. The perception is that Messi makes the players around him better while Ronaldo is far more self orientated.

I doubt it is as black and white as that but just on a personnel level I enjoyed watching Ronaldo far more before he turned into a pure goalscorer. The debates will start again over taking him back if he was available, he is still one of the top 5 in the world but as with Zlatan I think Utd would be better served building around younger players, looking for the next superstars. In Martial we look to have found one, how long before Madrid are sniffing around him? If he has a breakthrough international tournament in the summer the rumours will start.
We are not in the position to be turning down Ronaldo.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
We are not in the position to be turning down Ronaldo.
2 years of Ronaldo might be enough to put Utd right back to the top table, fighting across all fronts while in the background we are fixing other problems.

That is best case scenario, but you are probably right, it is too early for him to go to the MLS, Italy is a poor league, it is back to England or PSG, nightmare if Utd turn him down and he excels at another English Club.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:27 AM
silv

Quote:
2 years of Ronaldo might be enough to put Utd right back to the top table, fighting across all fronts while in the background we are fixing other problems.

That is best case scenario, but you are probably right, it is too early for him to go to the MLS, Italy is a poor league, it is back to England or PSG, nightmare if Utd turn him down and he excels at another English Club.
We won't be given the choice IMO

He will go to PSG where it is easy to score goals and break records.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Lok

Quote:

PSG makes sense for everyone.

The standard of the league means he can do as he pleases (fly regularly to Morocco), they're competitive in the Champions League, they have the money required and they need a superstar to replace Zlatan.

I don't think he'd play for anyone else in this country. City are well past the galactico phase so it would only leave Chelsea and I don't think they'd spend that much on a player his age.

Unread 28-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Venceremos

Quote:

I remember Messi making it impossible for Villa and Ibrahimovic while Ronaldo's on field relationship with attacking mids like Di Maria and Ozil turned them into £50m stars.

Messi's won more than Ronaldo because Messi's teammates were/are better which is basically what he said yesterday. Every year since he went over a combined XI from the two sides would have 3-4 Madrid players max.

Unread 28-02-2016, 11:09 AM
ziggyman17

Should have never left Utd in the first place......

Unread 28-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Should have never left Utd in the first place......
Yep. Feel for the guy tbh.

Unread 01-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Pop

Zidane having to pander to him. Zinedine Zidane ffs

"Cristiano has spoken with everyone, this subject is behind us. We all know the importance Cristiano has and we are all here with him".

Unread 01-03-2016, 07:25 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Zidane having to pander to him. Zinedine Zidane ffs

"Cristiano has spoken with everyone, this subject is behind us. We all know the importance Cristiano has and we are all here with him".

Unread 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
zidane having to pander to him. Zinedine zidane ffs

"cristiano has spoken with everyone, this subject is behind us. We all know the importance cristiano has and we are all here with him".
ffs

Unread 01-03-2016, 08:21 PM
red in cumbria

Its not for nothing that the Graun Fiver likes to simply refer to "Him"

Unread 01-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok
I love Ronaldo and would welcome him back at OT tomorrow. Would probably drive him there myself.

It's hard to take seriously the amount of goals he scores in that league because 9 matches out of 10 they're playing against pub teams.

But his time there has been a failure. The whole team has to be based around Ronaldo and it hasn't worked. I'm not saying that it's his fault but that is what has happened and it's failed.

The 'standards' comment was a response to him being booed this season. He's not playing well enough and the fans are letting him know. If you believe all the stories you read then it sounds like he's not particularly focussed any more and whilst it's probably just paper talk it's easy to see that things aren't as they were.
He's a #@&%!.

Very pleased he's 'failed'.

Unread 01-03-2016, 08:48 PM
TheFatGoth

Is he still making regular trips to see his fella in Morocco?

Unread 02-03-2016, 12:04 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
He's a #@&%!.

Very pleased he's 'failed'.
Would have him as our #@&%! again in a heartbeat, though
Closed Thread