United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-10-2009, 12:36 PM
believe

Default Re: Hardest United Player of all time?

Russell Beardsmore was involved in a few nasty rucks in the late 80's. My grandad told me Nobby Stiles was the hardest player he ever saw.

Unread 21-10-2009, 12:37 PM
borsuk

most have already been mentioned but

was a handful. in more ways than one by the looks of things.

Unread 21-10-2009, 12:53 PM
n48

Jordi Cruyff. Utter nut case by all accounts. The only place he could truely find peace was on the pitch.

Unread 21-10-2009, 12:55 PM
johnfuego

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Was it in Red Ish or UWS they had an article about him a while back?
In Richard Kurt's "Red Devils".

Unread 21-10-2009, 12:56 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfuego
In Richard Kurt's "Red Devils".
Knew i'd rread it somewhere.

Unread 21-10-2009, 12:56 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Jordi Cruyff. Utter nut case by all accounts. The only place he could truely find peace was on the pitch.
He was made of balloons.

Unread 21-10-2009, 01:00 PM
n48

Quote:
He was made of balloons.
Crazy balloons.

Unread 21-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
paul ince has to be up there
Incey,incey sort them out.

Got to be kevin moran,whiteside for me.Moran would put his head in anywhere.

Unread 21-10-2009, 01:03 PM
believe

Quote:
I seem to remember him fronting up to Vinnie Jones after he tried to kick Cantona off the park once. Vinnie shit it.
That was the cup game when Cantona scored the volley. At the kick off Vinny flew at Eric and upended him, you know to let him know he was around United players then let Vinny know exactly who he was and he disappeared for the rest of the game. £#%&!er.

Unread 21-10-2009, 01:09 PM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up Re: Hardest United Player of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
That was the cup game when Cantona scored the volley. At the kick off Vinny flew at Eric and upended him, you know to let him know he was around United players then let Vinny know exactly who he was and he disappeared for the rest of the game. £#%&!er.
That's the £#%&!er.

Unread 21-10-2009, 01:12 PM
believe

Quote:
That's the £#%&!er.
If Vinny Jones poster on here he'd say "me". He was a £#%&!ing #@&%! of a footballer who carved a career completely out of being a dirty @#%&!.

Unread 21-10-2009, 01:18 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
If Vinny Jones poster on here he'd say "me". He was a £#%&!ing #@&%! of a footballer who carved a career completely out of being a dirty @#%&!.
yup and the same @#%&! who played Giggs at left back picked him for Wales!

Unread 21-10-2009, 02:00 PM
thatsfuctit

I always remember seeing storming norm in the pre season open day thing and thinking '£#%&! he looks hard'

then on his home debut (IIRC) Stoke at home squaring up to Dave Watson, who was a big old experienced pro and not someone i had down as a softy.

Unread 21-10-2009, 02:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
I always remember seeing storming norm in the pre season open day thing and thinking '£#%&! he looks hard'

then on his home debut (IIRC) Stoke at home squaring up to Dave Watson, who was a big old experienced pro and not someone i had down as a softy.
Remember him sorting out McMahon as a sub at Anfield after he'd kicked us off the park. Catalyst to that famous comeback to 3-3.

Remember on United Road a coupla seasons later, McMahon warming up and us singing "normans gonna get you".

Unread 21-10-2009, 03:31 PM
santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkNowHear
I will throw in Stepney as a dark horse as most have already been mentioned.
had to be a reason why stepney would get a game from 71 onwards...

Unread 21-10-2009, 03:38 PM
santiago

Quote:
Remember him sorting out McMahon as a sub at Anfield after he'd kicked us off the park. Catalyst to that famous comeback to 3-3.

Remember on United Road a coupla seasons later, McMahon warming up and us singing "normans gonna get you".
i remember the previously snidey but tough top boy souness shitting it around norman.

i also nominate:
1. tony fitzpatrick who may not have been the toughest but had a reputation of being able to look after himself, and
2. martin buchan. just ask colin bell...

remember hanson and lawrensen being asked what it was like playing against joe jordan. hanson said nothing and lawrenson started speaking in a higher voice than normal and said something like 'it was unbelievable' and visibly shuddered...

Unread 21-10-2009, 04:30 PM
originalhogg

Nobodys mentioned Harry Gregg, went into the stand and chased some bloke around for shouting abuse at him.

Unread 21-10-2009, 04:35 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhogg
Nobodys mentioned Harry Gregg, went into the stand and chased some bloke around for shouting abuse at him.
Aye a hardman, a gentleman and a genuine hero.

Unread 21-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
a few of the books i read suggest he was strong as an ox and not to be £#%&!ed with, i seem to remember reading about him picking another player up with one hand and launching him into the showers after find the toes cut off his socks again or some jape
Keane in his book implies Schmikes was a bluffer and faker when it came to that.

No mention of Les Sealey? The bravest footballer I've ever seen, to the point of madcap lunacy.

Unread 21-10-2009, 04:57 PM
withapacketofsweets

Quote:

Remember on United Road a coupla seasons later, McMahon warming up and us singing "normans gonna get you".:D

Remember it well.

Big Norm - I love the @#%&!.
Closed Thread