back to obertan i just hope he aint a speed boat with no driver

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Toothpick

Looks Zidanesque to me.

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Well that's me told. What an incisive argument.

Fwiw I'm much less bothered about Owen's origins than the fact that he's a has-been, though the sight of him in the shirt is still bizarre.

I was merely addressing your point about Matt Busby, which I've read countless times since Owen joined. I get the impression people think they're making this big revelation and can almost hear them dust their hands off and fold their arms, saying 'that's him told', as they inform us of this little-known fact that he played for Liverpool and city.

Everyone knows who Matt Busby played for and it wasn't a big deal at the time because, like I said, the rivalry just wasn't there. If it was, people would have been more arsed.

So the point, which I haven't missed, is that it's a completely crap argument to say that people shouldn't be concerned about former liverpool players because Busby was one, for the simple reason that the circumstances sixty years later are very different.
See the bit in bold - that is the main point. The one I'm making. You see we're in violent agreement.

As for the rest - while the hostility is nowhere like it has been for the past 30 years (mainly because Liverpool were shit) - United fans in the main didn't care for Scousers or City. Fact.

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky
back to obertan i just hope he aint a speed boat with no driver
yep.

let's hope he's not a hot air balloon with no fire.

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:39 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yep.

let's hope he's not a hot air balloon with no fire.
He's a kite with no string

Obey out

Unread 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
See the bit in bold - that is the main point. The one I'm making. You see we're in violent agreement.
Yes, I've not disputed that, as I've said repeatedly I was only addressing your point about Busby.

Quote:
As for the rest - while the hostility is nowhere like it has been for the past 30 years (mainly because Liverpool were shit) - United fans in the main didn't care for Scousers or City. Fact.
Exactly, 'didn't care for', hardly a fierce rivalry. Liverpool weren't a football threat and had never been. And what about the fans who used to go to both United and city, of which there were many?

So we agree the circumstances were nothing like the same, which is all I'm saying - judging people's view of players' former clubs now based on what it was like 60 years ago doesn't work.

Unread 08-07-2009, 08:13 PM
BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Blacc
Looks about as good as Richardson did playing for the full England team under Eriksson.

Unread 08-07-2009, 08:24 PM
dunk

Apologies Charlestown, Holydoodle.

A bad day and at the moment my ire is directed firmly at Owen. I'm in a cracking mood now though, scored twice in a game of 11 a side

I fully understand it is a gamble worth taking and once he appears in the shirt I will be behind him as much as I can possibly muster.

I don't like the man though, never have, not just because he played for Liverpool, that won't change just because he is a United player. In my eyes, he will always be a Liverpool player, I don't do it on purpose, just a natural reaction for me. If he scores 30 goals, I still won't like him. I don't give a £#%&! if he fails (in fact I think he will turn out alright, but he will never be for us what he was for them @#%&!s.)

I refute the point that it is the same as Sir Matt joining United, but that's been done to death.

I see your point though.

There is not a cat in hells chance Owen is ever going to reach the heights that Busby reached for us, if he does I will apologise profusely.

Unread 08-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

so just to clear it up

do Mancs hate pretend scousers who played for the vermin more than real scousers who played for everton?

or is that just OOTs, although not this particular OOT - I think Chester is pretend posh with a nice zoo and scousers are annoying @#%&!s

Unread 08-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Apologies Charlestown, Holydoodle.

A bad day and at the moment my ire is directed firmly at Owen. I'm in a cracking mood now though, scored twice in a game of 11 a side

I fully understand it is a gamble worth taking and once he appears in the shirt I will be behind him as much as I can possibly muster.

I don't like the man though, never have, not just because he played for Liverpool, that won't change just because he is a United player. In my eyes, he will always be a Liverpool player, I don't do it on purpose, just a natural reaction for me. If he scores 30 goals, I still won't like him. I don't give a £#%&! if he fails (in fact I think he will turn out alright, but he will never be for us hat he was for them @#%&!s.)

inanimate I refute the point that it is the same as Sir Matt joining United, but that's been done to death.

I see your point though.

There is not a cat in hells chance Owen is ever going to reach the heights that Busby reached for us, if he does I will apologise profusely.
You won't need to - promise. Got the message though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
so just to clear it up

do Mancs hate pretend scousers who played for the vermin more than real scousers who played for everton?

or is that just OOTs, although not this particular OOT - I think Chester is pretend posh with a nice zoo and scousers are annoying @#%&!s
For the avoidance of doubt I don't have anything against Liverpool FC as an inanimate entity - it's the city, the culture and the people I can't £#%&!ing stand. And I include Everton supporting Scousers in that as well.

Rooney's a Scouse @#%&! but he's our Scouse @#%&! - we all cringe when he goes off on one and would forgive him quicker if he was local like St Paul of Scholes or Sir Wesley Brown of this Parish.

But his sheer skill and determination to sweat blood in the shirt exonerates him - just like Denis Law and "that" goal. We built a statue to him FFS.

I hope Owen gives up the bullshit media interviews and get stuck in for the cause, but most people on here have had the same reaction - shock sprinkled with revulsion and then after a period of reflection - could be a shrewd move, hope it works out and bangs another nail in the Scouser's coffin taking it to 20 years plus - their knowledge that "one of their own" did them will be the proverbial Brucie Bonus.

Unread 08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Pop

There is potential there....

Unread 09-07-2009, 08:15 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

No need to apologize Dunk we all enjoy a mass debate.
I just think that allthough I doubt he will ever become one of us, I think he should be judged for what he adds to the team, with a bit of luck that may mean number 19 and 4. We can only dream.

Unread 09-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
And Owen is as much a Scouser as Matt Busby.
precisely

Unread 09-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
bloody hell ginners get out of his ass

Unread 09-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Seriously mate have a look at your posts over the last few weeks, I don't know you or much about you to be honest but from what I've read you sound like a right jcl. What about when Ince signed for them? Do you reckon a they all started slagging him off over the Internet, or did they get behind him because they knew he was a quality player and it wound us up to £#%&!. I much rather we had signed Benzema, Kaka or Ribery but we havnt so get over it and get behind your team. Just out of curiosity what do you think of Reds singing Stevie Coppell songs at aways?
sad but true
Closed Thread