United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-09-2022, 03:59 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
No disrespect meant, but I don't think your opinion matters a whole lot to the movers and shakers in the world

Another demonstration of the fact that we are NOT all born equal of course.
Agree…but loyal subject jem claimed EVERYONE respected her more than a random tea lady, and he was wrong

Unread 09-09-2022, 04:01 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
Agree…but loyal subject jem claimed EVERYONE respected her more than a random tea lady, and he was wrong
But this is jem, when he says EVERYONE, he doesn't mean the likes of you and I, he means everyone that matters, to him.

Unread 09-09-2022, 04:02 PM
no fun

Quote:
But this is jem, when he says EVERYONE, he doesn't mean the likes of you and I, he means everyone that matters, to him.
That’s a fair point, and very well made

Unread 09-09-2022, 04:47 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
Yougov? Really? ffs.
You don't like yougov?

I'd happily look at any other poll you can provide to back up your assertion that 'The large majority of the country would rather not have a monarchy' if you are able to provide one?

As far as I am aware public backing for the monarchy has been consistently falling in recent years/decades but still shows a strong majority support.

btw I'm no monarchist. Just don't like unsubstantiated claims that fly in the face of all the evidence I can see.

Unread 09-09-2022, 04:50 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapien
You don't like yougov?

I'd happily look at any other poll you can provide to back up your assertion that 'The large majority of the country would rather not have a monarchy' if you are able to provide one?

As far as I am aware public backing for the monarchy has been consistently falling in recent years/decades but still shows a strong majority support.
Agreed

I tend to think they are unpopular because of the circles I mix in and where I’m from, but get outside your bubble and there’s some staunch monarchists out there

Unread 09-09-2022, 04:59 PM
Time For Heroes

I reckon the football authorities have bottled it. There's no reason the games couldn't go ahead but they're probably worried about fans disrespecting the minute's silence that would inevitably have to be before every game and how that is perceived worldwide.

Unread 09-09-2022, 05:01 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time For Heroes
I reckon the football authorities have bottled it. There's no reason the games couldn't go ahead but they're probably worried about fans disrespecting the minute's silence that would inevitably have to be before every game and how that is perceived worldwide.
I actually think that apart from Liverpool and Celtic the silence would be fairly well observed

Those like me not wishing to join in could just stay on the concourse until it had finished

Unread 09-09-2022, 05:11 PM
jem

Quote:
A head of state, as a political entity, yes. A monarchy, as in those chosen by god to rule over us, no.
no one* thinks the monarchy was chosen by god to rule over us. it's just a sweet old lady in a draughty house asking people what they do. or was. now it's the oldest page boy saying he always warned about climate change, but no one listened.

Quote:
I'm glad I read this before replying to nofers. you couldn't be more wrong. it's you and me.

Quote:
btw I'm no monarchist. Just don't like unsubstantiated claims that fly in the face of all the evidence I can see.
can't believe you are defending prince andrew again.

Unread 09-09-2022, 06:43 PM
Finport Red

Queen every day, for me.

Last thing I need is a random tea lady, putting my teabag in a flowerpot, then poring boiling water in my shoe.

Definitely Liz for me.

Or a tea lady with a plan.

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:20 PM
Arnold Muhren

Games in the Ukrainian Premier league tomorrow..

Unread 09-09-2022, 08:43 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no one* thinks the monarchy was chosen by god to rule over us.
I'm poorly read on the subject but I was of the understanding that the original notion of royalty was that they were selected via some divine decision and considered above/better/gooder than the common folk. I may well be wrong, I've had no cause to question it since I was originally taught it as a child.

Quote:
You don't like yougov?

They are very popular but don't have the greatest track record according to a politically obsessed journalist mate. I will happily concede this point as I may well have been swayed in much the way no fun said. The circles I mix in and opinion-click reaffirming nature of modern news feeds, have probably convinced me that the majority view of the northern half of the country outweighs the still blinkered south. The fact that the Tories continue to remain, in the face of breathtaking inhumanity, would suggest my views are sadly still in the minority.

Please excuse the ill prepared knee-jerk pub opinions.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:12 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
I'm poorly read on the subject but I was of the understanding that the original notion of royalty was that they were selected via some divine decision and considered above/better/gooder than the common folk. I may well be wrong, I've had no cause to question it since I was originally taught it as a child.

They are very popular but don't have the greatest track record according to a politically obsessed journalist mate. I will happily concede this point as I may well have been swayed in much the way no fun said. The circles I mix in and opinion-click reaffirming nature of modern news feeds, have probably convinced me that the majority view of the northern half of the country outweighs the still blinkered south. The fact that the Tories continue to remain, in the face of breathtaking inhumanity, would suggest my views are sadly still in the minority.

Please excuse the ill prepared knee-jerk pub opinions.
What is the track record? Do they even have one? Do they actually do anything?

They are indeed popular, for what, waving at people? know a couple of people who have been given awards and she neither knew who they were or what they'd done to be awarded for, or cared. Back to the tea lady, except this one was given millions for not even making the tea.

Unread 09-09-2022, 09:48 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
What is the track record? Do they even have one? Do they actually do anything?

They are indeed popular, for what, waving at people? know a couple of people who have been given awards and she neither knew who they were or what they'd done to be awarded for, or cared. Back to the tea lady, except this one was given millions for not even making the tea.
Have to admire the effectiveness of the rebrand

From Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor overnight. AFAIK Lizzie was the first one born under the new brand.

An inspiration to all those companies and insta kids seeking to reinvent themselves

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:01 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Have to admire the effectiveness of the rebrand

From Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor overnight. AFAIK Lizzie was the first one born under the new brand.

An inspiration to all those companies and insta kids seeking to reinvent themselves
Too true, didn't they rebrand some german dog name too. They definitely know how to do the important stuff

Her uncle Edward, or Herzog as he preferred to be called, let them down a bit, what with the bailing out and the treachery, knocking about with the nazis etc and we had no choice but to send him off to a life of luxury in the Caribbean

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:18 PM
Switching Off

Sheriff game on Thurs goes ahead.

Unread 09-09-2022, 10:21 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Sheriff game on Thurs goes ahead.
Good. We need to marshal our team for this.

Unread 10-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Jethro

So this is the Scousers fault. Good to know.

Unread 10-09-2022, 04:54 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
So this is the Scousers fault. Good to know.
Was obvious why they had to do it tbh.

100’s of games up and down the country and it would only take a few to disrespect the anthem/silence and it would all kick off.

I’m guessing it’s why rugby and cricket in England is still going ahead because on the whole English rugby and cricket fans are well to do toffs?

It’s why welsh rugby was called off too, no way welsh rugby fans allow god save the queen etc to be played at games

Thread

Unread 10-09-2022, 11:18 PM
jem

Quote:
I was of the understanding that the original notion of royalty was that they were selected via some divine decision and considered above/better/gooder than the common folk.
there may have been a period during which this was believed by some, but no one even believes in god any more.

Unread 10-09-2022, 11:34 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there may have been a period during which this was believed by some, but no one even believes in god any more.
Honesty may have believed tbf.
Closed Thread