Default Keith Harris we are ready to buy United

here

Unread 14-02-2010, 06:24 PM
red @rmy

Great piece by Henry Winter.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Election.html

Unread 15-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Pop

Is there really any truth in this Red Knights thing or is it a load of Harris orchestrated media %@#$&!s?

Unread 15-02-2010, 10:55 AM
dunk

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but merely having the funding in place to 'buy' United means little.

The Glazers stand to make hundreds of millions over the next however many years by keeping United ticking over, nothing more, and servicing the debts. In the interim they won't be affected one bit by the debts.

Why would they sell?

And if they were to sell, it is surely going to cost well above the worth of the club and still leave it in debt?

Unread 15-02-2010, 11:05 AM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but merely having the funding in place to 'buy' United means little.

The Glazers stand to make hundreds of millions over the next however many years by keeping United ticking over, nothing more, and servicing the debts. In the interim they won't be affected one bit by the debts.

Why would they sell?

And if they were to sell, it is surely going to cost well above the worth of the club and still leave it in debt?
I think you're spot on.

I may be wrong but even if they did agree to sell, the club would still be lumbered with £500m debt due to bond issue which still has 7 years to run.

Unread 16-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Surfers do Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Why would they sell?

From what I understand (which isn't very much) the worth of the club takes into account the debt.

So if you were going to buy a United "worth" £1bn, but who had £500m of debt in bonds etc, you would pay £500m to the current owners.

Whether the Glazers will sell or not I guess depends on whether they see the club's value and income declining over the next few years to the extent where it's worth their while cashing in now to make the biggest profit.

Unread 16-02-2010, 12:46 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie

Whether the Glazers will sell or not I guess depends on whether they see the club's value and income declining over the next few years to the extent where it's worth their while cashing in now to make the biggest profit.
Yup - good point. And guess who can force their hand the most

If the current campaign continues to grow, and the fan base unites under various efforts at halting their revenue streams, then I sincerely believe they will sell.

Unread 16-02-2010, 02:48 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Yup - good point. And guess who can force their hand the most

If the current campaign continues to grow, and the fan base unites under various efforts at halting their revenue streams, then I sincerely believe they will sell.
The only way they will sell is if the offer price is too good to turn down & as Dunk says overvalues United.

I'd say that it will take between 10K to 20K ST's not renewing or a failure to get CL football both of which are unlikely.

The grim reality is that they are in a position to sit out any campaigns or leave Gill to deal with them.

Unread 16-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
The only way they will sell is if the offer price is too good to turn down & as Dunk says overvalues United.

I'd say that it will take between 10K to 20K ST's not renewing or a failure to get CL football both of which are unlikely.

The grim reality is that they are in a position to sit out any campaigns or leave Gill to deal with them.
spot on

only a few hundred will give up their ST's IMO

the rest will do excatly what they have done over the last 6 years - £#%&! ALL.

Unread 16-02-2010, 05:33 PM
wonky no

thing is though, regardless of the factions in our support, no-one wants to get mugged off. The gimps and gill can't promise that they wont hike the prices up again but a consortium can put together an offer- publicly and spin all sorts of promises.

just that is enough to persuade more fans to not renew or at least stop buying merchandise, potentially. also, there is no way the gimps can justify the way the club is being run in a response to an offer, so again, fans are going to realise that they don't have the clubs interests in mind.

just a mere, serious, offer would have a huge positive impact on the campaign.

imo

Unread 16-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
spot on

only a few hundred will give up their ST's IMO

the rest will do excatly what they have done over the last 6 years - £#%&! ALL.
your post is typical of the sort of utter %@#$&!s that divides the support

for a start off, a fair number of people who never had STs anyway have done some campaigning

and plenty of those who didn't give up their STs have also done plenty

as an aside, no doubt tonight's CL 2nd rd game will be hugely supported by travelling fans and TV audiences alike - and sponsors of course - earning the Glazers more millions. not one penny.

Unread 16-02-2010, 10:37 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no
thing is though, regardless of the factions in our support, no-one wants to get mugged off. The gimps and gill can't promise that they wont hike the prices up again but a consortium can put together an offer- publicly and spin all sorts of promises.

just that is enough to persuade more fans to not renew or at least stop buying merchandise, potentially. also, there is no way the gimps can justify the way the club is being run in a response to an offer, so again, fans are going to realise that they don't have the clubs interests in mind.

just a mere, serious, offer would have a huge positive impact on the campaign.

imo
Any offer would have a positive impact on the campaign but I belive the Gllazers would turn it down & issue their usual statement that they are in it for the long run, that's just standard business, you don't accept trhe first offer.

That in itself may persuade some people not to renew but I doubt there would be enough to really make a difference, that would take 10k+.

Whoever, if anyone, does take over will still be faced with the current interest payments on the Bond debt (for the next seven years) so I can't see ticket prices doing anything but going up.