Unread 05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbsy

Cheers Stubbsy

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
dunk

SAF in the crowd, on his BlackBerry Bold, messaging champs

Matty James has impressed me in the last couple of reserve games, looks like a prospect.

Macheda and Chester not playing, bench Saturday?

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Bunker Buster

Tosic reminds me of a younger giggs...

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He reminds me of a dwarf that lives near my dad, only with Zlatan's nose.

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He reminds me of a dwarf that lives near my dad, only with Zlatan's nose.
That would have been my second choice.

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Ginners

some good play there between fabio and martin

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
some good play there between fabio and martin
More like some good play from Fabio, some shit control followed by a shit shot from Martin.

Not sure why Martin is still at OT tbh, could they not find him a loan club for the rest of the season?

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Hopskipjump

Quote:
resembles alan smith, the arse one with the speech impediment

Unread 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM
jem

Quote:
he's more like a cross between maradona and robson with a bit of platini thrown in.

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Ginners

what a move

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Luffy

Quote:
by young I assume you meant 10 yrs old, the guys a tiny £#%&!er.

anyone who thinks he is anywhere near challenging Nani's position in the squad needs to watch the game properly, he's way off the pace of a first team player. Doesn't do much at all and what he does do he does without conviction. I worry about him, he already has to overcome his size hurdle, if he has a poor mentality he's not gonna make it.

Martin however is a weird one, he always looks excellent whenever I see him for the reserves but whenever he's gone out on loan he's not delivered. Seems like he'll end up doing an Eagles. who I also liked, I think both of them would've been decent squad players here given the chance. Rate em both above Gibson anyway. Martin should've gone on loan to a decent Prem team, I reckon in a full season he could contribute just as much as someone like Babel or Milner.

Possebon doesn't look the same before his injury, looks a bit lazy/#@&%!y now, (as opposed to healthy arrogance) like the game's below him and not worthy of his effort. A player of his ability should be taking the game by the scruff of the neck and making things happen, as it is he's just going through the motions and things may or may not come off.

Fabio still struggles at reserve level. I think he might be one of those who benefits from playing in a more technical level with better players around him. Reserves might be too rough and tumble for him to really shine. I suppose the same might be true of Tosic.

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Whalefish

It's worth noting that Partizan Belgrade are hardly shit and play to a decent standard. He's also been involved in various levels of International football. Most recently the Serbian first team.

None of us know if he'll make it but I suspect he'll need decent pre-season and a years worth of football (of sorts) to settle in before we will have an idea, that's after the 6months adaptation he's getting now.

It's also worth mentioning a comment from McClair a few years back that (most) players in the stiffs don't enjoy playing with players from the first team squad as they don't take the level of football seriously enough and use it for nothing more than a bit of fitness. See Vidic and Evra shifts in the reserves a few years ago, showed nothing of note at all. In fact Vidic looked shite and Evra struggled to defend at even that level.

Martin and Eagles aren't/weren't good enough. Neither's Gibson IMO but he's well ahead of Possebon atm from the games I've seen.

From his debut against Spurs I don't think Fabio will have any problems settling into PL football.

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Ginners

fabioooooooooooooooooooo

Unread 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Whalefish

Nice clumsy challenge from the Boro player to concede a penalty.

Unread 05-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's worth noting that Partizan Belgrade are hardly shit and play to a decent standard. He's also been involved in various levels of International football. Most recently the Serbian first team.

None of us know if he'll make it but I suspect he'll need decent pre-season and a years worth of football (of sorts) to settle in before we will have an idea, that's after the 6months adaptation he's getting now.

It's also worth mentioning a comment from McClair a few years back that (most) players in the stiffs don't enjoy playing with players from the first team squad as they don't take the level of football seriously enough and use it for nothing more than a bit of fitness. See Vidic and Evra shifts in the reserves a few years ago, showed nothing of note at all. In fact Vidic looked shite and Evra struggled to defend at even that level.

Martin and Eagles aren't/weren't good enough. Neither's Gibson IMO but he's well ahead of Possebon atm from the games I've seen.

From his debut against Spurs I don't think Fabio will have any problems settling into PL football.
yeah agreed for the most part, apart from me rating Eagles and Martin somewhat. I think a lot of our youngsters suffered from lack of chances. I've no doubt that if they'd had the same opportunities as Fletcher (what 100+ games before he looks like a decent utd player?) they'd be much better than they are now. It seems like Gibson is going to get that opportunity unless he screws up or gets fed up of being on the bench once Hargo's back fit.

I'd put Possebon ahead of Gibson but he's fallen behind abit since his injury, before that he looked like he would slot in comfortably if called upon. He looked like he couldn't be arsed about the carling cup aswell, dunno if he was just being nonchalant or if he was pissed he didnt play or what. If he keeps his head on he has a better chance than Gibson.

about the first teamers things, I can buy that from proven first team players, but that hardly applies to Tosic. From what I've seen of Tosic, clearly a good player, but I'm not convinced he has the physical and mental tools to succeed in England with Utd and he should be busting a gut to prove that he can.

I'm sure Fabio will do fine alongside better players and he'd arguably get more space or more options in the first team, but I also keep in mind that spurs were a complete walkover that day. That might apply to Tosic, but he's also going to be judged on what damage he can cause on the wing.

Unread 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Whalefish

I don't think we know anything re Tosic's mental tools do we? In terms of physical strength he doesn't look anymore lightweight than Aaron Lennon so I don't think it'll hold him back. He looks good technically, we'll just see how it goes. The other lad is the one who interests me more, supposed to be a real find.

The first 6 months here, in the middle of a very busy campaign, won't be anything more than getting Tosic settled in. I suspect he'll start to dip his toes into the first team games from next season.

Most reckon that challenge in the Boro game has affected Possebon's confidence. Can't be easy. He was the best midfielder on the pitch that day and a dirty @#%&! went and ruined it.

Agree re the youngsters not getting too many chances a few years back, maybe they aren't or weren't good enough? Perhaps there was too much pressure having not won any silverware of note in a while and Fergie couldn't risk it? Difficult to say whether there's less pressure now but now is as good a time as any to blood some of the kids.

Unread 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

players don't get anywhere near 100+ games to look like a decent player ffs

just to put that comment in perspective that is more than the total number of Premiership appearances for Klebersen, Bellion, Djemba, Miller, Chadwick and Darren Ferguson combined

Unread 05-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
players don't get anywhere near 100+ games to look like a decent player ffs

just to put that comment in perspective that is more than the total number of Premiership appearances for Klebersen, Bellion, Djemba, Miller, Chadwick and Darren Ferguson combined
Dunno what your point is tbh. I said Fletcher got 100+ games to 'prove' himself and only in the past couple seasons, at the age of 24 and a huge amount of experience behind him has he actually 'blossomed' into a player who genuinely pushes for a starting place. Until then he was just making up the numbers and doing as much of the legwork as possible (and not doing that well at it to be fair).

Whereas other youngsters can dazzle for season after season in the reserves, and get 70 minutes a season. It doesn't make sense to me. Fletcher is proving his worth now so we can perhaps say Fergie was right, but who's to say other players given his opportunities wouldn't have blossomed just as much?

For the record I've always been a defender of Fletch on here and RI, but my stance is others have not been given a decent crack compared to him and I can't see what more they could have done to earn it. If they're doing the business in reserves and some even look good when they get a rare game (Eagles vs Everton etc), what more can they do?

This season it looks like Gibson and Welbeck are two who are getting decent game time, bit odd that others haven't though. Campbell barely got a look in, Ebanks Blake looked and still looks like he could've been a really useful squad player, lets not talk about Rossi, all these strikers did just as well if not better than Welbeck for the reserves, yet its Welbeck who looks like he will get a good few seasons and a good amount of first team games to prove himself with mediocre (or just plain crap) games being brushed aside.

I just find it odd because I don't think those two are two of our best prospects either now or in the recent past, yet they're set up to get the fletcher treatment.
Closed Thread